Treadmill runs (Read 95 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

When running on a treadmill what amount of incline do you use?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

theyapper

On the road again...

I've always been told that 1% is closest to road running. Not sure if that's accurate, but maybe someone can confirm it?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yeah, I read that in an article on Runners World earlier this morning. 0.5 to 1. I remember where I saw it. I'll grab the link....

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/training/outdoor-running-vs-the-treadmill-in-winter-which-is-better/?fbclid=IwAR2O5J66ZIi7dPK1EHf5vbuqzbW9tsnmeY2nwlK--fCxpIEzBgu17bl1olg

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

nolancaster

I like to leave it at 0. Any benefit I get from lack of air resistance is more than offset by the heat bubble I build up IMO.

I've read in recent years that the 1% thinking (making it more road equivalent) doesn't really apply to most "normal" paces and is more or less a myth.  I leave mine at 0 unless I want to do some hills, which I really can't stand to do on the treadmill anyway.  The treadmills we used to have at my office gym seemed too easy to me and almost seemed so flat that it was almost downward tilting.  I would put those at .5% or even 1%. 

Here it is-  you need to be running 7:09 pace or faster to make the 1% thing valid.     Biomechanics Expert Debunks Treadmill-Running Myths | Runner's World (runnersworld.com)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks for the insight. My main issue with treadmill running is the speed/time.  I did a 20-mile run according to my Garmin set for indoors. The distance was 1.5 miles less per 10 miles on the TM than the Garmin. My 1-mile C/D took 24:00 on the Garmin. The TM was showing 0.5 miles. I do not recall the TM speed. The only time I have walked that slow was 80 miles of a 100-miler around 2 am.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Altair5

Runs in the rain

In regard to treadmill speed/time, my understanding is the Garmin estimates the distance run on a treadmill using your stride length and counting steps, not exactly an accurate way of measurement! Treadmills are not perfectly reporting distance either, but I've heard you can calibrate treadmills by making a chalk line on the belt, measuring the length of the whole belt loop and then counting the revolutions as the treadmill runs for a set time or distance. This would allow a calculation to convert the treadmill's data to a more precise number.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

I haven't tried my Garmin on the treadmill.  I use my Apple watch on it but mainly go by the treadmill time and distance, which I know is a little off- not in my favor- maybe 20-25 seconds a mile.  I sort of go by heart rate.  The treadmill feels hard and boring to me, but that's what I have right now with the ice and snow outside.    Apple watch tends to be pretty good with indoor running as long as I get the heart rate reading going right to start- requires tightening up the band for my normal Garmin arm (left).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

delicate flower

Zero.  The treadmill is enough of a mental grind for me to worry about an incline.

<3

Zero.  The treadmill is enough of a mental grind for me to worry about an incline.

+1

Dave

mmerkle

I use this chart with a pinch of salt, since you never know how well your gyms treadmills are calibrated (not to mention the equivalent pace depends on several factors such as how used to hill climbing you are, etc).

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/

Since you have complete control over the incline on a treadmill, I like to take advantage by doing workouts on a steady incline, since I don't have access to a mountain. For instance, reps of 3-6 minutes at tempo effort with 1-2 minute jog recoveries, all on a constant incline of anywhere from 3% to 6%. Also, I can't run flat on a treadmill because when I do, my feet go all over the place for some reason. I need at least 1% to control my movement better. An additional benefit to treadmill hill work is you get to avoid downhill running, which is high impact and beats up the muscles and joints more.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I use a Runn Sensor to measure distance on my treadmill - syncs to my Garmin just like a food pod.  As for incline, I usually go with 0.5 as a default as that feels "normal" to me  Going down to 0.0 feels downhill on my treadmill.

I really enjoy running on my treadmill - a lot of that is because treadmill running is the only time I listen to music while running.  But I also find it very zen.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

treadmill running is the only time I listen to music while running. 

+1

Dave

I really enjoy running on my treadmill - a lot of that is because treadmill running is the only time I listen to music while running.  But I also find it very zen.

Same.

kcam

I use this chart with a pinch of salt, since you never know how well your gyms treadmills are calibrated (not to mention the equivalent pace depends on several factors such as how used to hill climbing you are, etc).

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/

Since you have complete control over the incline on a treadmill, I like to take advantage by doing workouts on a steady incline, since I don't have access to a mountain. For instance, reps of 3-6 minutes at tempo effort with 1-2 minute jog recoveries, all on a constant incline of anywhere from 3% to 6%. Also, I can't run flat on a treadmill because when I do, my feet go all over the place for some reason. I need at least 1% to control my movement better. An additional benefit to treadmill hill work is you get to avoid downhill running, which is high impact and beats up the muscles and joints more.

Your last point is, for my situation, the only reason to run on a treadmill.  I live in CA where it is a rare day indeed that outdoor running is not a good idea so I hardly ever run on a treadmill.  I was in AZ visiting my Dad and did a few runs on the treadmill there and I really liked that I could dial up the hills and get a good hill workout and not worry about having to run back down the hills like I do on my outdoor runs.