1 mile vs 5k vs which shoes? (Read 71 times)

Have a 1 mile road race fast approaching!

hoping to run 8mins.

I have race flats, but little cushion, I'm 180lbs, I might be able to get away with them but also would hate to DNF because of the shoes.

I have a couple new balance, more cushion and weight

skechers max road, lots of cushion, and actually lighter than my new balance.

I'm between all 3, we'll see, kind of thinking even tho the skechers are big thick they're my 2nd lightest shoe option...

shoe            weight    heel   toe

nike race flats 5.4oz   22    18

NB zante         8.5      23    17

NB boracay     9.6      24    20

skchr               8.2      31    27

side note, been running all summer, 8min conversion to 5k says 26mins, current 5k pr is 32mins, we'll see if I can even run 8min mile coming up but I think 8min mile is much more possible than a 26min 5k! so what's this mean? more tempo runs? intervals? long runs? current long run is 4mi, looking to run 5mi soon.

not sure if it's just my genetics preferring a 1 mile race over a 5k?

I'm thinking more tempo runs and just keep up the consistency? I've been mixing the hard/easy runs,

maybe I need more of everything? intervals, tempo, long, easy, consistency?

I'm making progress, just would like to maximize that progress and not waste time or be inefficient.

thanks in advance for any insight!

300m- 37 sec.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A DNF because of shoes in a mile race is really unlikely unless you really slam your foot down hard and land flatfooted. I would suggest a few fast workouts in the shoes you plan to race in beforehand regardless of your choice. In approaching a mile race intervals would be more helpful than tempo runs. You'll be racing well above your LT so VO2Max workouts and mile pace repeats would be more helpful.

Race calculators give about a 7:30 mile as equivalent to a 26:00 5K. Couple that with your LR being only 4 miles, and an 8:00 mile looks much more within your reach. I'd make your key workout to prepare for this race as 8-10 x 400m in 1:58-2:00 with a 400m jog recovery.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

undue monkey

4+ miles of intervals (including recovery jog) seems a little aggressive for someone whose long run is... 4 miles.  Totally agree with goal pace intervals though. Maybe: 5-10min easy warm up and 4-6 x 400 at goal pace, walk 200 in between. I wouldn’t dork around with flats, just wear a reasonably responsive trainer. Ratcheting up the long run is fine, but more 45-60 minute easy runs will help build the aerobic base you’ll appreciate once you hit 1,000m or so of that mile. Good luck!

racing flats would be my first choice for a mile, but if the Zante's are much more comfortable than your Nike's, they would be good. HAving happy feet can make up for heavier weight, but it's only a mile. I run most of my miles in the Skechers ultra road-2, they ARE light, but I don't think they perform as well as racing flats for uptempo stuff. I've done down to 5:00-5:30 pace with them, but it seems like more of an effort than it is in hard midsole racing flats. A LOT more comfortable, but more effort to maintain a fast pace. I wouldn't hesitate to do a mile race in Skechers GoRun-5 or Forza, though.

The "secret weapon" of training is more miles. There is no substitute. Get a few 50+ mile weeks under your belt and note the improvements. Some specific workouts for the mile might be 400-800-400 at goal pace with 60-90 seconds jog between. Many milers like to do a boatload of 200's as a speed workout, something like 8-20 at faster than goal pace with a half lap jog/walk between each. The benefit of a workout won't show up in your performance for 10-15 days, so don't think that a hard speed workout will help a race that's only a week away.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Lane

The "secret weapon" of training is more miles. There is no substitute. Get a few 50+ mile weeks under your belt and note the improvements. 

This.  Shoes and workouts provide small benefits vs running more, especially when you aren't running much.  Mileage preps your body for workouts.  I used to run stuff like 3 sets of 800, 200, 200 with 200m jogging recovery between reps and 800m jogging recovery between sets but I had built a base of 80+ mpw the summer before.

rlopez

You are thinking way way too hard.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The "secret weapon" of training is more miles. There is no substitute. Get a few 50+ mile weeks under your belt and note the improvements. Some specific workouts for the mile might be 400-800-400 at goal pace with 60-90 seconds jog between. Many milers like to do a boatload of 200's as a speed workout, something like 8-20 at faster than goal pace with a half lap jog/walk between each. The benefit of a workout won't show up in your performance for 10-15 days, so don't think that a hard speed workout will help a race that's only a week away.

The mile is a different beast from even a 5K. When focusing only on the mile and not also training for longer races, it's not unusual for some training schedules to have not only relatively low weekly mileage and long runs, but even have interval workout days as your highest mileage days.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Thanks everyone.

Primary focus is the 5k.

but have wanted to race this 1 mile for a few years, so even though I won't be setting any PR's I think I may have a chance at 8minutes. Which is so hard to say, since all my life running 6 or 7 min mile required almost no effort.

I am also preparing for a 8 mile race in about 2 months, but that'll mostly be just to complete and run the entire race, although I do plan to be faster by then,

also have a 3k race in 6 weeks?

Think I'll probably go with the new balance  zante... did do 5x400m yesterday, hard but pretty comfortable.

300m- 37 sec.

The mile needs some practice to get close to your potential. It has a different kind of pain than a 5K.  If run properly the second lap should feel close to doubting whether you can finish the mile.  Everyone slows down in the third lap.  Need practice to overcome that tendency.

Race went well!

I'm not sure I nee to past a race review? where do they post those anyway, under racing I assume?

ran in the NB zante, on monday, yesterday, was fairly sore yesterday and today, but nothing overly extreme.

the 1 mile race, which I haven't really raced in 15+ years? it was a road race, thanks to google earth I noticed the first 1/4 or 1/3 was uphill so I had planned to run it vs race hard although I did run that portion pretty quick, but from an effort standpoint it was more comfortably hard.

I did notice I was huffing and puffing harder than many around me, perhaps they were in better shape and just taking it easy?

There were a bunch of kids everywhere, which I almost jokingly told some of the fast milers up front to push them aside! lol jk. but didn't. Although I did have to adjust for those same kids starting at the front and then zig zagging all over in front of adult runners...

Seemed like a family race, but there were some serious runners there too. Couldn't help but think if one's kid got hit by an adult fast runner that, that's racing and maybe parents souldn't have their slower kids lining up at the front?  or zig zagging in front of quicker runners?

I felt like a track guy getting the elbows and arms out a few times... ha.

Was funny "most" of those same kids were walking at about the 1/4 mile mark...

I ran the whole race pretty hard and consistent,

Was hoping to break 8mins, but recent 5k times suggested that would be pretty tough to do.

Managed running about 7.50, don't have an official time yet, I mean I did read it on the sheet but don't remember the exact time and they haven't posted times yet, managed to get 3rd in my age group! first age group medal ever! So I was feeling pretty amazing, kind of joking about how awesome I am... haha, but who knows I may have been 3rd out of 3...lol but hopefully there were more than 3 in my age group.

My gps watch recorded a max cadence of 192spm, which was when I was really flying at the end, or trying to, I did manage to pass a few at the end.

New max heart beat as well, 195, I'm 37yo, so not sure what that means.

Was a fun race, plan to run again in the future if I'm still in the area etc... makes me think more 5k and road races might be nice if more offered the mile... but I'm sure one could find a few if they looked, just not as many as 5k's.

300m- 37 sec.

Glad you had a good race.  Run the mile a few more times and see how fast that time comes down.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

New max heart beat as well, 195, I'm 37yo, so not sure what that means.

This means that you're 37 years old and have a maximum heart rate of 195.  Nothing more.  (Good race, BTW!)

220-Age is just a rough rule of thumb and a rather bad one at that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/maximum-heart-rate-theory-is-challenged.html

The common formula was devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell, then a young physician in the federal Public Health Service and his mentor, Dr. Samuel Fox, who led the service's program on heart disease. They were trying to determine how strenuously heart disease patients could exercise. 

In preparation for a medical meeting , Dr. Haskell culled data from about 10 published studies in which people of different ages had been tested to find their maximum heart rates. The subjects were never meant to be a representative sample of the population, said Dr. Haskell, who is now a professor of medicine at Stanford. Most were under 55 and some were smokers or had heart disease.

On an airplane traveling to the meeting, Dr. Haskell pulled out his data and showed them to Dr. Fox. ''We drew a line through the points and I said, 'Gee, if you extrapolate that out it looks like at age 20, the heart rate maximum is 200 and at age 40 it's 180 and at age 60 it's 160,'' Dr. Haskell said.

At that point, Dr. Fox suggested a formula: maximum heart rate equals 220 minus age. But, exercise physiologists said, these data, like virtually all exercise data, had limitations. They relied on volunteers who most likely were not representative of the general population. ''It's whoever came in the door,'' Dr. Kirkendall said.

In addition, he and others said, gauging maximum heart rates for people who are not used to exercising is often difficult because many prematurely stop the test. As the treadmill hills get steeper, people who are not used to exercise will notice that their calves are aching. ''They will say they can't go any further,'' Dr. Kirkendall said.

In addition, Dr. Wilmore, the exercise physiologist, said it was clear from the scattered data points that maximum heart rates could vary widely from the formula. ''If it says 150, it could be 180 and it could be 120,'' Dr. Wilmore said.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Congrats on the race!

Don't worry about how hard or loud you're breathing, I used to breathe so fast and loud that everyone around me thought I was about to collapse, but miles later, there I am ahead of them. A lot of people advocate getting into a rhythm with your breathing that matches your cadence, everything working together like dancing. Or a machine, like a steam engine chugging along. When I'm going really hard, it's one breath in on two steps, one breath out on two. Typical steady state but workin' for me is in on three steps, out on two. Hard to get that synced up to music unless it's tripleZ jazz with weird time signature!  Long run is in for 4 steps, out for 4 steps (sometimes 3).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying