Garmin 405 HRM question (Read 141 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I have a 405 with NO foot pod and NO hrm strap. I'm thinking about getting a hrm in the future. Right now I run a lot on the TM in the winter and I'm wondering if the 405 allows recording/training with heart rate data only (with gps OFF and without foot pod when I'm on TM), had anyone used it this way? The manual wasn't of much help. Thanks!

I believe this will work but can try it out tomorrow morning and let you know.

I'll turn the GPS off  and see if I get the HRM data.

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks Matt!

Hi Wing sorry for the late reply.

Yes it works. I ran 6 miles today with GPS off and the HR monitor. You can check the data here.

HR data all recorded and no GPS data.

One point you may want to consider depending on how you are going to use the watch/data.

The 405 does not do "Heart rate-based calorie computation" so when you run without GPS you don't get a calorie data.

This is not a problem if you upload to RA because RA can do that calc for you.... but if you want to see it on the watch... no bueno!

If you have a 405CX then it does do Heart rate-based calorie computation, so you're all good.

Happy trails... or treadmills in your case.

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks Matt! That's good info. If I get the HRM I'll likely just use it for "curiosity's sake" first, I'm not sure if or how I'll incorporate that into my runs, but I'm sure it'll be fun pondering over the data Smile