Clydesdale / Athena Registration Rules (Read 176 times)

CT JEFF

The heavyweight class of runners has variable thresh holds. I have seen for males, 220# and up. 215#, 210# and 200# or higher.

I have been losing weight over the past 18 months. In January 2014, I signed up for a HM as a CLY when I was about 220#. The requirement was 200# and up. I significantly reduced my sugar intake 2 months ago, and the weight loss accelerated. The HM is June 1. I weigh myself when I wake and am 203 now. After running and being dehydrated, Ive seen the scale hit 202. With 24 days to go, it will be close.

The rules on Age Group are pretty straight-forward. "what will be your age on race day" easy to figure out months in advance.

What will be your weight on race day?

Are there any specific rules for this?

If not, what are your thoughts?

I dont plan to change my registration. I signed up in good faith. I have yet to see my weight fall outside the CLY range.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

xhristopher

What is your first priority? Running as well as you can or beating a bunch of heavier guys?

You don't want to be national news for cheating like that dude in the OC race. Think about the shame you would bring upon your family!

Prince of Fatness

Are there any specific rules for this?

I would think it would be up to the RD.  Send them an email and see what they say.

Not at it at all. 

beat

Break on through

I only ran in one race as a Clydesdale - over 200 lbs.  It was the New Haven 20K.  They required a weigh-in before the race, but I didn't have to actually get on a scale.  The guy just looked at me and said I was ok - it was obvious I was over 200 lbs...   Each race is handled differently, I think.  If it was me, I would take it as a victory if I had to drop out of the Clydesdale division because of weight loss prior to the race!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

I've only run one event that I remember that had weight division, and it also required weigh in for border line folks.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I only ran in one race as a Clydesdale - over 200 lbs.  It was the New Haven 20K.  They required a weigh-in before the race, but I didn't have to actually get on a scale.  The guy just looked at me and said I was ok - it was obvious I was over 200 lbs...   Each race is handled differently, I think.  If it was me, I would take it as a victory if I had to drop out of the Clydesdale division because of weight loss prior to the race!

This.  I got up to about 215 at one point while still running occasional races.  Now that my weight tends to range 180-185, I'm psyched that Clydesdale is no longer an option.

RunNow

Wear some shoes like a normal person and it might tip the scales.

npaden

For our running club the rules state that it is 190+.

I've never seen a scale at a race in 3 years.

Most of the folks who are signing up in the clydesdale division are 200+.  When I got down to 200 I was one of the smallest guys running in the clydesdale division even though I was still 10 pounds from the cut off.  We did have a guy that sure looked borderline and he even talked about how close he was sometimes.

Seeing how the prizes are medals bought in bulk for several years and maybe a $10 gift card if you finish in the top 3 of the year long challenge series, I really don't think anyone is going to cheat on this.

You signed up in good faith, unless you end up well below the mark on race day I wouldn't sweat it.  Drink some water and wear some shoes until race time or something.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

look up the times for last year's group winners.  if you are no threat to finish top 3 it matters not.

for me, I know of 1 race in my entire state that has such a category.  so it's not much of an issue.  add to that I now qualify for 45+ and hell... it's a wash if I want to enter as a fat guy or an old guy.  do I want to run against a 22 year old fat guy or a 47 year old skinny guy?  pick your poison I guess.

xhristopher

Jeff CT, Check out the http://www.baevents.com/bigmanrun/ in WOO-STAH.

St. George Marathon has a Clydesdale division.  It is 200 pounds for men.

You must weigh-in at bib/packet pick up.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

npaden

add to that I now qualify for 45+ and hell... it's a wash if I want to enter as a fat guy or an old guy.  do I want to run against a 22 year old fat guy or a 47 year old skinny guy?  pick your poison I guess.

I've got a win, win going for the Clydesdale division with our local running club.  They age grade the Clydesdale division.  I still try to win outright, but there is a 24 year old that sometimes actually crosses the finish line before me (he's beat me twice), but when I get the age graded time I smoke him.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

henryc

Jeff CT, Check out the http://www.baevents.com/bigmanrun/ in WOO-STAH.

What's first prize a box truck full of big girls?

DaBurger

You must weigh-in at big/packet pick up.

They get bigger packets too?

Know thyself.

they should make a race where everyone weighs in and lists their birthday.  stager the start based on age/sex/weight and have this massive finish line mob as we all come in at about the same time.  chaos.  awesome.

I used to think about weight divisions and age divisions and then I quit worrying about it and then quit entering races because really, who cares who is faster?  I ran 17:46 for a 5k on a CC course one time at a weight of 190+ .  Man... if they had a 190+ Clydesdale then I might have actually won something.  As it was, it was high school cross country and I came in something like 50th place.