Coaches (Read 1204 times)

xhristopher

Ah, I miss that guy on these boards. Send him my regards.  

He had some great posts and I learned from them.

I think it would be nice to have a thread for runners to share their (hopefully positive) experiences with being coached.  I recall, for example, that wannaberunner has made no bones about her great experience with Nobby and all that he has done for her.  

Speaking of, I wonder how she's doing. Haven't seen here around here in a while.

#artbydmcbride

I love JimHowe!  He tried to coach me too, once upon a time.   I may be uncoachable.  Blush

Runners run

I have a coach but he just tells me to run more!  Then again you get what you pay for and since I don't pay him anything this is what I get :-)  I also have a sidekick but she mostly just chases cats over hurdles.  Again she is paid nothing so their you go. 

I'm sure I am making lots of mistakes.  I can totally see how, with the way this site is setup and the data you can provide, that someone could coach you from just looking at your log if you kept good records. 

Good coaches are hard to come by Nader.  Glad you and Jeff have made this work.  Let's face it that if he is working with Nader then he has to be super patient and pretty good to get any posititve results.  Jeff is a super smart guy and I have always respected his thoughts on running and other things.  .  

Good luck to you both.  Keep up the good work gentlemen.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

@BCR: when the Swamp said you needed an "Internet coach", that's not how they meant it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

...Monsieur Pussy Cat.

I have a coach but he just tells me to run more!  Then again you get what you pay for and since I don't pay him anything this is what I get :-)  I also have a sidekick but she mostly just chases cats over hurdles.  Again she is paid nothing so their you go. 

I'm sure I am making lots of mistakes.  I can totally see how, with the way this site is setup and the data you can provide, that someone could coach you from just looking at your log if you kept good records. 

Good coaches are hard to come by Nader.  Glad you and Jeff have made this work.  Let's face it that if he is working with Nader then he has to be super patient and pretty good to get any posititve results.  Jeff is a super smart guy and I have always respected his thoughts on running and other things.  .  

Good luck to you both.  Keep up the good work gentlemen.

zing!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

...Monsieur Pussy Cat.

I might be a better sidekick if I got paid!!.........or not........Big grin

Runners run

I may be uncoachable.  Blush

I'm sure that I'm worse [stop reading if you've heard this story before]

Saturday

Rand: I ran 7 miles, when I was supposed to take the day off
                  Coach: What'dya do that for?
                  R: It was nice out
                  C: Oh, okay. Take tomorrow off then
                  R: I'll try

Sunday

R: I ran 8 instead of 6
                  C: You ran 7 yesterday, no?
                  R: Yep
                  C: Are you trying to hurt yourself? LOL
                  R: No, I don't think so
                  C: How do you feel?
                  R: Pretty good
                  C: How's the hamstring?
                  R: Yeah, I think I figured that out! It's from the way I was stretching while hanging laundry on the line. I made some adjustments, and it's fine.
                  C: You got a step-ladder? LOL You going to take tomorrow off?
                  R: I'll try
                  C: ~sigh~

I might be a better sidekick if I got paid!!.........or not........Big grin

You might be a better sidekick if we were chasing tuna or birds! 

Alas you are still the best free sidekick a person could ever ask for.  Your mostly always posititve and that is a good quality to have in a side kick.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, I know Nobby and Jeff are both great coaches, and I wouldn't hesitate to enlist one of them when and if I should choose to get serious about my running progress.  But...seems to me the big handicap for an internet coach is that he/she doesn't actually see you run. Important, no?  Are a few amateur videos adequate substitutes for actually being in the runner's presence?

Okay, I know Nobby and Jeff are both great coaches, and I wouldn't hesitate to enlist one of them when and if I should choose to get serious about my running progress.  But...seems to me the big handicap for an internet coach is that he/she doesn't actually see you run. Important, no?  Are a few amateur videos adequate substitutes for actually being in the runner's presence?

It's a big handicap if you're looking for input that requires the coach seeing you run.  But short of advice/work on form or maybe injury prevention, I'm not sure why it would come up and become a deal-breaker.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's a big handicap if you're looking for input that requires the coach seeing you run.  But short of advice/work on form or maybe injury prevention, I'm not sure why it would come up and become a deal-breaker.

Deal breaker, no, but I think it would be hard for a remote coach to deal with issues of form and stride, for example, or even to be aware if there are problems.

L Train

Is the way somebody runs really a relevant thing relative to coaching?  I guess I'm in the camp that believes that form is something that finds itself as a product of running more and running faster, rather than by somebody "fixing" it.  That would not at all be a deal breaker for me. 

In fact, if someone saw my form I am quite confident he/she would not agree to coach me. 

Is the way somebody runs really a relevant thing relative to coaching?  I guess I'm in the camp that believes that form is something that finds itself as a product of running more and running faster, rather than by somebody "fixing" it.  That would not at all be a deal breaker for me. 

Agreed. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

any idiot can follow a plan right?  And you end up tweaking a series of plans to make your own based on what worked in the other ones you've tried and what didn't.  I've been prompted on here to try a particular plan and it didn't work for me...so I try something else.  I think a coach would be good if you struggled with motivation or were prone to injury.  Other than that, you guys are all the professional help I need.