What do you bring with you? (Read 1076 times)

Seems like I bring a lot of stuff. Chap Stick, water ( not so much in the winter), cell phone, id, kleenex, lifesavers, pepper spray. I always envy runners who are just out there with nothing.. I need all my stuff. Am I abnormal? I sometimes hate the buldgy pouch in my running jacket. ( makes me look fatter than I am !)

- Anya

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I wear my Garmin, and I've just ordered a Road ID to attach to my shoelaces. That's it for me.
      jeffdonahue

Seems like I bring a lot of stuff. Chap Stick, water ( not so much in the winter), cell phone, id, kleenex, lifesavers, pepper spray. I always envy runners who are just out there with nothing.. I need all my stuff. Am I abnormal? I sometimes hate the buldgy pouch in my running jacket. ( makes me look fatter than I am !)
        Wow, how far are you running? I bring my Ipod if I am running by myself, but not if I am with a group or a friend. If I have my Ipod I will usually attach the Nike+ pod to my foot to track time, distance and speed. That's pretty much it. So let's go through your list: Chapstick - if you apply before you leave you should be good to go for the entire run, unless you are constantly wiping your mouth Water - understandable if you are going for a long run, anything under an hour and you dont need it - just drink some beforehand Cell Phone - Are you expecting a call or something. I understand that if you get hurt you dont want to get stuck somewhere, but you could just limp/walk home or flag someone down for help ID - get a road ID for your sneaker, unless you are going to be hitting the bar on the way home Kleenex - understandable, I get a runny nose sometimes too Lifesavers???? Not sure why you need these Pepper Spray - again, understandable if you are running alone and perhaps live in an unsavory area (or are going to run through one). So I would say keep the pepper spray and the kleenex, get a road ID and dump the rest. Unless you are going for a long run then you might need water. And just think how much faster you will run after dumping all the extra junk.
          Jeff, Maybe it's a female thing? I like to have my stuff on hand in case I need it? But, I guess I am a bit of a freak with all the extra stuff.. I do run in the country and need the spray and cell phone.. My normal , everyday run is a five miler. Sometimes I stash the water bottle, as I really don't need it til I'm done.. I walk 1/2 mile back to the house, and need water at that point... Oh,, the livesafers are individually packed, and I have a few on hand in case I get a dry mouth or need an energy boost on the road. ( not often ) When I used to live in a normal neighborhood, I never broight this much stuff. Back then, it seemed like I was always just a few blocks from the house.. Now, I'm out in the middle of nowhere...

- Anya

Marathon Maniac #3309

Not belittling you for your mileage ok...I think it's awesome you are a "runner" Smile But looking at your log, I don't see anything you would need to bring with you except maybe the pepper spray. Definitely don't need water till you can run well over an hour. Heck, I really never drink anything unless I am running over two hours. And I can't imagine running with a cell phone. Lifesavers???? I just use my shirt or gloves to wipe my nose. Chap stick should do the trick before you head out the door. ID tag on your shoe is a good idea also. Just my 2 cents worth....and happy running!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I bring a road ID, which I wear in my shoe. That's about it. My longest runs each week are only about 6.2 mi, so I don't usually carry water. I'm a guy. Don't need kleenex. I just blow snot rockets.
              Do bears bear? Do bees be?
              JakeKnight

Kleenex? Wha? Huh? You're depriving yourself of one of the great joys of running - the snot rocket. Being a 'real' runner has nothing to do with speed. But one mandatory requirement is the snot rocket. You need to lose the Kleenex. Or you can use the Gallo-blow method. It involves making snot rockets with occasional Kleenex breaks after every 3-4 blows of your nose. My favorite in your list has to be the Lifesavers. Anybody who remembers to maintain fresh breath while running is clearly somebody with their act together.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

pandajenn19

I never run anywhere without my cell phone. Period. It's my 'weapon' of choice should I encounter a problem. Usually if I am out on a empty trail and see someone that creeps me out, I pull out my cell phone. If I start overly freaking out I dial my husband. He doesn't mind me calling in the middle of the run and it soothes my overactive imagination. In an empty park at dusk once I actually had a parked and semi-hidden car that was in my path drive off the instant I started talking on the phone. My guess is it was a drug deal of some kind, but who knows? So yeah, the only absolute requirement for me when I run besides clothes and shoes is my phone. On a run longer than about 90 minutes I generally carry more stuff, but it depends on the weather and the plan.
                    I probably take more than I need on my long runs too. Wink I'm with you on the cell phone though. My dh doesn't "get" it either but I always take it, even on short 3 mile runs. I run though an iffy area and several times have been harassed by groups of drunks who think it's great sport to bother the runner. I also was in the middle of a 10 mile run once when out of the blue a thunderstorm with hail and a tornado popped up. Luckily the tornado was about a mile away from me but I was glad to be able to call dh. It was kind of thrilling to huddle on top of a picnic table in a park shelter for 10-15 minutes dodging golf ball-sized hailstones and trying not to blow away. Tongue For me, better safe than sorry. I take my iPod and Nike+ thing (or I did before I lost it last week. ::sob, sob::, a couple bucks to grab some water at the corner gas station, a Gu or jelly beans on my long runs. Teresa
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On shorter runs I have my Road ID (I have this on ALL runs, actually), cell, cotton hanky for snot/sweat, Garmin, iPod, cell. For long runs I add Amphipod Full-Tilt belt and inhaler.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Renee the dog

I'm a girl (well at 43 I'm being kind to myself) Big grin and what I take is on anything under 8 mi: 1. dog 2. road ID anklet 3. cell phone in a itty bitty waist pack that I got from sportsbasement long ago--it's really for a small bottle, but I duct tape the two ends so my phone stays in. 4. That waist pack also has a tiny zipper where I put YEP, a kleenex. Well actually, it's usually a napkin, as table napkins seem to hold up better than a kleenex. For long runs (over 8 mi) it's the above, plus: 5. Jogging stroller with two rugrats 6. Husband, as we don't have enough time to do two back-to-back long runs 7. Two pints of waterto split with dog and husband 8. dog bowl 9. Couple of Clif Shots w/caffeine, as I start to want a little jolt sometimes 10. Flip flops (I have to get out of my sweaty socks and shoes after a long run right away, and we usually walk a bit at the end) 11. HOUSE KEYS 'cause it's a PITA to have to break into the house after a long run (has happened more than once Black eye )

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr R

Running shorts and shoes. Sometimes, I wear a shirt and socks, sometimes I don't. House or car key in the shoelaces.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

As little as possible. After 17 miles of hills, the extra gel I was carrying was weighing on me. At one point, I seriously considered jetisonning it. Got it out of my pocket and everything. Then, realized I was being an ass.
                              Running is enjoyable because it doesn't require a lot of stuff. I generally take my shoes and just enough clothing to stay legal. Tom
                                I go with the MP3 player when I am alone (packed with plenty of 80s hair band tunes). And I never head out without my watch...I always feel the need to check my splits. Anything else makes me feel bogged down.