F^&*ing wisdom teeth (Read 836 times)

I'm sure plenty of you have had your wisdom teeth pulled. I have to have all 4 of mine out next month. How long did you lay off from running? The oral surgeon didn't seem too concerned with it, but I don't want to jar a blood clot loose or something. I have heard lots of stories about dry sockets, etc. I have an irrational fear of getting teeth pulled and have put this off as long as I can.
    obsessor

I took the afternoon off when I had the teeth pulled, but ran the next morning. Spit a lot of blood, which you are not supposed to do... but that's life. It turned out just fine. Oh - I just had the local anesthetic, not general. I would imagine it could be worse if they put you under, or if you use the pain medication.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I am getting two pulled in February. I plan to take off two days, and shorten my long run that is lined up for that Sunday.

left-right-left-right-repeat

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I just took a couple days off. Ran easy -- I had this fear that if I was breathing too hard it would induce dry socket. The whole getting the teeth thing out was pretty funny for me, actually. After I came to, I was taken to a recovery room where I was supposed to hang out and wait to be cleared to go home. But I was really loopy from the pain meds and anesthesia. When they came back in to check on me, I was hiding behind a file cabinet laughing my ass off. Good times.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I just took a couple days off. Ran easy -- I had this fear that if I was breathing too hard it would induce dry socket. The whole getting the teeth thing out was pretty funny for me, actually. After I came to, I was taken to a recovery room where I was supposed to hang out and wait to be cleared to go home. But I was really loopy from the pain meds and anesthesia. When they came back in to check on me, I was hiding behind a file cabinet laughing my ass off. Good times.
            Too funny. My wisdom teeth extraction (all 4) was fine, but did come down with a massive infection a month later. Nothing antibiotics couldn't cure. When I woke up, I was crying but didn't know why. When I took a boyfriend to get his pulled a few years later, he got violent and tried to hit a nurse! Shocked Not good! They were probably glad you were laughing and not punching people!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Could be worse:
              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                Getting my wisdom teeth out (all 4 at once too) was actually my first time under any kind of anesthesia. I too woke up crying and then simultaneously laughing at myself for crying about it. However, when I got home, I was laid up on the couch for 4 days basically unconcious. I guess I dont take to being knocked out very well. And then, all I remember wanting to eat when I finally could was a whole can of pillsbury grand biscuits with lots of butter and honey all over them!!! I wasnt running back then, but it was defintely one of the worst "sicknesses" Ive ever had. I'm actually putting off getting a colonoscopy because of the adverse anesthesia effects on me....
                  I got all four of mine out at the same time...of course they had to cut mine out (under the gums) and break them (because the were side ways) so my surgery was pretty long. It took about 2 days for my head not to hurt so much (military gave me 3 days off to rest)....i would reccomend taking at least 2 off so that you have time to heal up a little...unless you really want to spit out blood ...yuck. Plus depending on where you live breathing in a lot of cold dry air could give you dy socket (i got it without doing that becuase i guess i'm just a lucky person Evil grin) Trust me you DO NOT WANT DRY SOCKET. its ridiculously painful and drugs dont help....they have to stuff your gums with this medicine and yes that procedure sounds as painful as it is...and it tastes disgusting. Good luck i hope everything goes well..the surgery itself wasn't too bad for me :O) Hope you heal fast Wink

I had mine out when I was 14 years old. I was miserable. Thankfully, that won't happen again.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I had 1 out that wasn't impacted and was totally fine from that afternoon on. A couple years later I had 2 more taken out, that were impacted, and spent 4 days on the couch. I would wake up, take vicoden, and go back to sleep for four hours. Repeated that for 3 days, then switched to ibuprofen, and then finally got up on the 4th day. I hate dental work.

Michelle

Holy $hit...thanks for all the miserable stories. What a nightmare. Now I really can't wait to get this done next month. Tongue
                          BTW, all of mine are impacted. Good times.

dork.major dork.

I was super aggressive with icing in the first 24 hours, really doing 20 minutes on 20 minutes off even through the night (my mom and boyfriend helped with that) and I was okay within 2-3 days -- I had 4, 2 impacted, 2 not.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

when i was sitting in the chair where they were doing all the preliminary stuff, there was lady screaming (as in terror) her head off. that'll make guy nervous. but, heck, the same night, i went to my friends house who had his wisdom teeth out the same day. we partied and had lots of fun.
                                Holy $hit...thanks for all the miserable stories. What a nightmare. Now I really can't wait to get this done next month. Tongue
                                I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out at the same time. Spent the week on Demoral. GOOD TIMES, what I can remember of them. I slept on the couch and everytime I woke up, there was a different movie playing on the TV. The cat, however, spent the entire week sleeping on top of me. In all seriousness, it depends on how your surgery goes. They bruised my jaw trying to get one of my teeth out so gave me lots of fun drugs. If yours goes better, you'll probably get fewer drugs and be at it sooner. You will have chipmunk face for the next few weeks, but it won't hurt. To prevent dry sockets, don't suck on anything! Milkshakes are great to eat, but use a spoon. Cold foods = good. Hot/spicy foods = pain.
                                Have you got a flag?