My Kid Swallowed a Penny (Read 1650 times)

My 4 year old swallowed a penny Saturday afternoon. I'm not really worried about it, but as far as I know it has passed through. Should I be worried or am I just a bad dad?

Lazy idiot

I'm guessing he/she'll be fine. Parent's make all kinds of mistakes, and I don't think this is that big of a deal. When I was a kid I swallowed a quarter. Consider yourself lucky your kid is a cheap date. Wink

Tick tock

I should have said it hasn't passed through. Is there a point in time when I should worry? As of right now I'm not and figure it will eventually make its way out. I didn't know if say at 2 weeks without seeing it we should worry or not.
        AnneCA

Well, if you're a bad dad, I'm a bad mom; mine swallowed a dime. How do you know it hasn't passed through? (or do I not want to know the answer to that? Wink). I bet it has -- I assume the dime passed through mine, but I really have no idea!

Another Passion

If you're unsure and worried, you can always run him in and have him x-rayed to make sure. I'm actually on the phone with an x-ray tech friend of mine and she says it should have passed and if he hasn't had any problems he should be fine. She didn't seem concerned about and said that these usually just pass on through. If it were something sharp or jagged she would be concerned and have it x-rayed though.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

My 4 year old swallowed a penny Saturday afternoon. I'm not really worried about it, but as far as I know it has passed through. Should I be worried or am I just a bad dad?
              Jack Handy would say, "Tell him that no one can ever call him worthless, because he is worth at least a penny".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

demeterchickens

youre completely right to worry and to laugh. I dont think i would take mine to the doctors but id sift his poo because Im so tight Id want my money back.
                  youre completely right to worry and to laugh. I dont think i would take mine to the doctors but id sift his poo because Im so tight Id want my money back.
                  Well I am pretty tight with my money. If it was a quarter, I definitely would. That's like the Cadillac of loose change.

My sweet new crank!

I once picked up my son from his crib held him high to smile at him...and darn if that ceiling fan didn't go thump thump thump thump... he was way better than i was, he only had a scratch, i felt like the sh*^&&est father ever... After 4 years, and 3 sons...that was one of the easier ones... It would be interesting to hear those funny parent screw ups that we all have.... Big grin
                    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                    momster

My sister swallowed the two pennies she got as her first "allowance." We still laugh about it, although I probably laugh harder than she does. She's now 48, so I guess it did no harm! BTW, when they did pass, my mother saved them in my sister's scrapbook, cleaned up a bit, of course.
                      GP160

When I was 7 I stuck a plastic bead up my nose and never saw it again....don't know what I was thinking...??? Lucky it went to my stomach and not my lungs! Roll eyes
                        Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                          I swallowed a penny when I was a kid. We were on vacation. Mom and Dad went to the emergency room. Well the doctor was checking me out, he noticed my mom didnt feel so well. Dead Turns out my mom was pregnant!!! (My dad was 55 at the time and my mom thought she was infertile). Just sayin
                            I know this is serious stuff and I don't mean to make light of your situation. But I can't help but tell you that my little one (a small furry Shetland Sheepdog) loves finding coins and playing with them. I saw her swallow a quarter once and completely freaked out. I called the emergency vet right away who told me she'd probably be fine and pass it, OR I could induce vomiting with a little hydrogen peroxide. So, being the concerned mom that I am, I induced vomiting in my poor little baby. About 15 minutes later, stomach contents emptied in the bath tub, I had my quarter back. Along with a nickle, two pennies and a gum wrapper. Big grin I call her my little piggy bank! Sara

Another Passion

I know this is serious stuff and I don't mean to make light of your situation. But I can't help but tell you that my little one (a small furry Shetland Sheepdog) loves finding coins and playing with them. I saw her swallow a quarter once and completely freaked out. I called the emergency vet right away who told me she'd probably be fine and pass it, OR I could induce vomiting with a little hydrogen peroxide. So, being the concerned mom that I am, I induced vomiting in my poor little baby. About 15 minutes later, stomach contents emptied in the bath tub, I had my quarter back. Along with a nickle, two pennies and a gum wrapper. Big grin I call her my little piggy bank! Sara
                              ROFLMAO! Don't ever get her near an MRI machine! Shocked

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I once picked up my son from his crib held him high to smile at him...and darn if that ceiling fan didn't go thump thump thump thump... he was way better than i was, he only had a scratch, i felt like the sh*^&&est father ever...
                                When my son was 5 months old, he used to arch his back very suddenly; usually on the floor while laying on his stomach. We had family staying with us during that Christmas so he was in a portable crib in our room. I woke up one morning and got him out of the crib and was bringing him out to the table to change him; I had him in one arm, along with his diaper, changing pad, and wipes while I closed the bedroom door with the other hand. Just as I closed the door, he did the back arch and threw himself out of my arms. Shocked Needless to say I freaked, tried to catch him, succeeded in causing him to do a back flip, then threw myself on the floor and managed to catch him 3 or 4 inches before he hit the floor. I think his head may have brushed the floor. My wife had to come and take care of him because I was shaking so bad. I was afraid to pick him up the rest of the day. Now, at 2½, he loves jumping on the couch, the bed, off of chairs, etc.... Big grin
                                The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                                http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com