Idea for an app - would this be useful to you? (Read 179 times)

willemmuller

Hi Runners

I'm working on an app that lets callers know where you are when can't take their call. It answers the "where are you" question so you can enjoy on your run.
    Is this something that you feel would be useful in any way as a runners?

Willem

runmichigan

Hi Runners

I'm working on an app that lets callers know where you are when can't take their call. It answers the "where are you" question so you can enjoy on your run.
      Is this something that you feel would be useful in any way as a runners?

Willem

Can you provide some examples of when you think this functionality would be needed?

willemmuller

I thought as a safety feature. Eg. woman running at night or anyone running a long distance in a potentially risky area.

Think it's useful or not particularly?

mikeymike

How does it notify the caller of your location? And does it notify any caller or just the ones you've preselected?  Because the former could do way more harm than good.

There are already apps that you can use to let someone track your location. How is this different?

Runners run

Since my preferred means of communications is email and anyone that knows me knows that, a phone call is most likely from someone i don't know and not sure how they got my number. Therefore, I wouldn't want to let them know where I am.

On a different note, I can see where a spouse out for a run with or without a young kid / baby jogger with them may want their spouse to know just where they are along their route (as in how close to being finished). But aren't there already apps that can provide tracking?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm working on an app that lets callers know where you are when can't take their call.

Oh good, so if I'm stalking some woman I can just call her phone to figure out where to ambush her?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

npaden

I think he is just saying that the app would generically say "Nathan is unavailable right now and can't take your call" or something like that.  That's what I'm assuming people figure out on their own when I don't answer their call though.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Oh good, so if I'm stalking some woman I can just call her phone to figure out where to ambush her?

Isn't that what Strava is for?

delicate flower

"Baboon is out running right now.  Please go steal his shit."

<3

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Smile  That was my thought.

steph  

Evolving body parts

Along the same lines, publicly viewable maps may not be a good idea. Especially if you keep a pretty regular training schedule and always start from home.

kcam

Along the same lines, publicly viewable maps may not be a good idea. Especially if you keep a pretty regular training schedule and always start from home.

Non issue.  Even being the paranoid bastard I am, I'm just having a hard time picturing petty breaking-and-entering artists sitting on RA all day trying to determine patterns from people's maps and times they run.  Seems like there'd a lot of easier ways to determine a good break-in target.

Non issue.  Even being the paranoid bastard I am, I'm just having a hard time picturing petty breaking-and-entering artists sitting on RA all day trying to determine patterns from people's maps and times they run.  Seems like there'd a lot of easier ways to determine a good break-in target.

Seems like you know way too much about this :-)

an amazing likeness

I've re-read the OP's question a few times and pondered what unmet need the app would be solving....doesn't mean there isn't an unmet need, just I can't circle in on what it may be.

Let's see -- someone calls me.

There are 2 primary outcomes: 1 = I answer, 2 = I don't answer.

Action #2 may have happened for a variety of reasons: A=I chose not to answer; B=I wasn't available to answer; C=I didn't know there was a call for a variety of reasons (airplane mode, phone left on desk, etc, etc,)

So now I'm out running and someone calls, this hits outcome #2 = I don't answer.  This app would then let the caller know the reason I didn't answer was that I was running?  That seems the be the intent.

So it seems like it boils down to a core question -- "is it of value for me to tell a caller who did not reach me that I running?".  Why does running get special call handling for outcome 2 = I don't answer?  That's where I shrug.

(There is an app on Motorola phones -- Motorola Assist which does basically the same thing when you're driving -- it knows that you're driving and automatically offers canned replies to calls & texts...so there is some precedent for activity-based responses to calls/texts)

To the OP's question -- no, I would not purchase an app for this purpose. Just leave a voice mail and I'll get back when I feel like it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.