2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

bhearn

Oh, and may I suggest like in the other thread we flag Age (in 2013) and whether the person has ever been sub-3 before?  Would be interesting to read after the ear is ended.  40 here.  Current PR is 3:08.

Age 47, PR 2:58:41 (at age 45). Two sub-3s so far, hope to make it three this weekend.

xhristopher

Oh, and may I suggest like in the other thread we flag Age (in 2013) and whether the person has ever been sub-3 before?

39 at Boston. I've only gone sub 3 at McMillan's website. I still need to do it in real life.
      bhearn

39 at Boston. I've only gone sub 3 at McMillan's website. I still need to do it in real life.

Well you're ahead of me there... I still haven't gone sub-3 per McMillan. Only in real life!

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Well not really sure if I belong shooting for this goal or not yet.  Ran a 1:25:02 on a decently hilly HM course in October and trying to maintain the 18/55 Pfitz plan right now.  Have to put off my 8 miler 'til tomorrow morning since my head is throbbing from no sleep from watching my Skins win last night.

I've been a runner in past lives in HS and college but after a couple year hiatus, I'm back trying to run my first marathon in March.  Not going to hope for sub 3 but I can't lie and say it's not in the back of my mind....

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Hi guys keen to join the thread to learn as much as I can. 1st Marathon next may the http://www.rotoruamarathon.co.nz/

Starting Pfitz 18/70 end of december.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

lagwagon

My primary goal for this year is a BQ, but add me to the list for this too.

I'm 41 now, and have had a good year, racing well over the last month (18:30 5k; 30:30 5 mile; 1:27 HM).  I have a decent base approaching a swampworthy 2000mi this year, and roughly 50mpw over the last several months, but realize I have a lot of work to do to get to sub 3.

I have a lot of (shorter) race experience, as I ran in HS and college (D3), but ran few miles, more off than on, through my 20s and 30s.  My only marathon was a very painful Philly Marathon in 2006 (3:37).  I consider that race a good lesson in humility and little more...my training program was a self-made 12/45 off a nonexistent base.

I'm leaning towards using Fitz 18/70 in preparation for the NJ Marathon on May 5.

Bring it on...good luck everyone.

Lagwagon- my race is may 5th too and im doing 18/70. We can compare notes !

bhearn

18/70 is a great program; I've used it a few times. Used it for my last sub-3, Boston '11.

I've been comparing point-by-point to the Hansons plans. I'll write up a summary shortly, but the biggest difference, and potential benefit of the Hansons plan, is wayyyyy more miles at MP.

MTA -- Oops, I used 18/70-85 for that sub-3, not 18/55-70. But I think I did use 18/55-70 for my first sub-3.

I am definitely looking forward to that writeup bhearn.

I haven't read the Hansons book yet b/c I am waiting for the ebook version (should be ready this week or next).

--

Nashville, TN

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I wanted to use 18/70 this training cycle but that would have been too ambitious of a jump for me in mileage so I stuck with 18/55.  My 5k time is 17:58 right now with a 10K at 37:17 but the distance is lacking a bit.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Bhearn- good to know. Ive done a few months this year in the 60-70 mpw so hopefully I can handle it. Im reading and re reading the book. Cc4- your short distances look good similar to mine but you are right going with the plan that you can manage.

tenacity

Please put me down for sub-3 in Boston, too. I am waaaaaayyyyyy out of shape, but will see if I can get it together by then. Thank you.

No Talent Drips

Please put me down for sub-3 in Boston, too. I am waaaaaayyyyyy out of shape, but will see if I can get it together by then. Thank you.

Same same. Looking back, it has been a real mental struggle for me ever since Boston 2012...I feel like I'm starting from scratch and have no business going for it. But here goes:

Nemo ME,  4/15  Boston Marathon  Boston, MA  2:54:36

Dei Gratia

Thanks for looking after this thread again Clive - much appreciated!

I'm in for 2013:

London Marathon, 21/4, Sub 2:40

DoppleBock

I will be 44 for 2013 Boston

2:45:58 PR (2006)

I have been sub 3 every year since running marathons in 2004

13 sub 3s in 28 marathons + 19 ultras

2013 will be my 10th year of running

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !