2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

Why is it sideways?

Might want to get a 2:53 as coral #1 might get a little harder to hit

Ok, where is the line for corral #1 usually?

DoppleBock

I am not sure - I thought @ 2:55 ~ But my 2:56:07 was good for bib 2045 = Coral #3, But I think Coral #1 was elites ?

Someone smarter than me should answer as I think they changed it from the last time I was there ... It used tobe that your bib# coincided with the coral #.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Pretty sure you needed < 2:50 at least for the first corral this year.

Next year, 2:55 might not even get you 2nd corral. I was 2703 (high third corral) with 2:58:38 this year.

Since last year, first corral is bibs < 1000; they changed the numbering. Which makes it even harder, because now there are fewer non-elite first corral slots, with elites taking many of those numbers.

Feeling the growl again

The application volumes used to start swelling significantly around 2:55.  With the switch to the new system it has been even tougher the past couple years, and I expect anyone wanting to guarantee themselves 1st corral should be thinking no higher than 2:50.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

So 2nd coral started @ 2:55:XX (guessing based on my 2045 # with a 2:56:07)

Does that mean if I run fast enough for Coral #1 I can hang with bib #1 before the race starts?

Don't matter, I do not plan on running sun 2:50 or likely 2:47 for better for 2014

Pretty sure you needed < 2:50 at least for the first corral this year.

Next year, 2:55 might not even get you 2nd corral. I was 2703 (high third corral) with 2:58:38 this year.

Since last year, first corral is bibs < 1000; they changed the numbering. Which makes it even harder, because now there are fewer non-elite first corral slots, with elites taking many of those numbers.

bhearn

So 2nd coral started @ 2:55:XX (guessing based on my 2045 # with a 2:56:07)

No, third corral started at 2:55:XX. The trend is that the cutoffs get lower every year, and next year there will be extra interest. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes ~2:47 for first corral next year.

bhearn

#1000 this year qualified with a 2:49:05. You can bet it will be tougher next year.

I'm getting faster, but going backwards. My first sub-3 (2:59:38) got me second corral in 2010; now that takes 2:55.

Feeling the growl again

#1000 this year qualified with a 2:49:05. You can bet it will be tougher next year.

I'm getting faster, but going backwards. My first sub-3 (2:59:38) got me second corral in 2010; now that takes 2:55.

Things have really changed (in a good way).  Back in 2001 a 2:53 placed me solidly in the middle of the 1st corral (# in 1640s).  IIRC between conversations at the time the cutoff was ~2:57 to the next corral.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

bhearn

Very cool, thanks.

kcam

That is an outstandingly informative table.  Thanks for posting it.  Looks like my qualifying time for 2014 would allow me to just squeek into Corral #2, based on the table's 2013 data.  If I'm in Corral 3 so be it - won't affect my finishing time any.

Feeling the growl again

Great table, thanks for sharing.  Wow, could Corral 1 really take a 2:45 for 2014?  I would not be surprised to see a 3-minute shift...I already know a few faster guys who had "been there, done that" with Boston who are now looking to do 2014.

bhearn

This is what it looked like in 2005.

DoppleBock

Not gonna happen for this dude - I just cannot turn the corner to care enough to go hard core weight loss and 1)  I need to be near 200 and 2)  Train hard to get to 2:45.  I think I could train hard, but to train hard and lose 30# is more than I am willing to sign up for in the next 8 weeks.

Great table, thanks for sharing.  Wow, could Corral 1 really take a 2:45 for 2014?  I would not be surprised to see a 3-minute shift...I already know a few faster guys who had "been there, done that" with Boston who are now looking to do 2014.

I was in corral 1 in '11 and '12 , corral 2 for '10 and '13. I think I crossed the start line this year in link 30 seconds from corral 2. In '11 I crossed in about 15 seconds. Race was extremely crowded this year, at all paces. I did a 3:07 and came in 328x th place. This past Boston probably was one of the most deep marathons out there. However, the crowdedness helps slow you down from going out like a bat out of hell....

I have a BQ-7:26. I'm hoping it is enough... I'm hoping to run fast enough in the fall to get in at least corral 2. I hope.