2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

I will be joining DB for a sub 3 attempt at HFM Manitowoc marathon 6/23.  I have six weeks to train.  This should be interesting.

MTA - in the proper format:

Flatfooter -Age=39, sub-3 before=yes, HFM Manitowoc marathon 6/23, Manitowoc, WI - Goal -<3:00.

tenacity

I'll be trying sub-3 at Sauvie Island, Portland, Or on July 4th. It's a pretty flat course and, if training goes well, I expect a PR Smile

bhearn

In your Hokas?

spinach

I will be joining DB for a sub 3 attempt at HFM Manitowoc marathon 6/23.  I have six weeks to train.  This should be interesting.

I had planned to run that one also but a wedding in the Twin Cities knocked me out of it.  I would have had a better shot at sub 3 there than I will have at Fargo this week.  I just haven't put in the time to prepare for to go under three right now and so i will be running it on miles I put in last fall.  I think 3:15 is more likely but I will give it a shot Saturday.

Visualizing your race strategy is a good thing. I think also it's good you learned from experience that nutrition is important. Even for pretty young 35 years old guy like you Smile.
            [snip]
            I usually try to PR for every marathon (only had 6 so far - so, not too much experience) by a few minutes (or about 10 seconds per mile). Of course I should be more or less sure that my training preparation is OK with such a task :-). So, I am trying to start first couple of miles slower than my target race - maybe 5-10 seconds slower, just trying to be very conservative despite all the start excitement. Then I go with the target pace and listen to the body reaction. Usually, by half mark, if everything is OK, I feel just slightly tired, but nothing major. Basically, if everything is good, I may accelerate by 5-8 secs after miles 17-18, and if everything is good after that by mile 21-22, I would go out. It doesn't happen like this all the times (sometimes I just had pretty even splits for the whole race), but it worked pretty well in most of the cases. Of course, a lot depends on your temperament, some runners just cannot run evenly the whole race, as I noticed Smile.
            [snip]
            When is your race, btw?

That is a great sounding strategy. My race is June 2nd (Rock and Roll San Diego) and mile 22 is the perfect time to start going for it since that is the top of the only hill Smile

--

Nashville, TN

DoppleBock

Same shit, different day.

I just cannot get myself to do any of the important non-running training stuff (Hydration, Sleep, Nutrition, no Alcohol) ~ I am running consistently enough to get there, but if the rest does not come together soon ~ failure is likely.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Throwing my hat in for a 2:5X fall marathon. I'm doing Air Force on September 21 and just finished the pig 2 weeks ago. I ran under 3 at the Pig but didn't start the race with that intention. Sometimes it just feels right, you go for it and it works. Hoping to build on that performance and training over the summer to improve.

CalBears

Throwing my hat in for a 2:5X fall marathon. I'm doing Air Force on September 21 and just finished the pig 2 weeks ago. I ran under 3 at the Pig but didn't start the race with that intention. Sometimes it just feels right, you go for it and it works. Hoping to build on that performance and training over the summer to improve.

Was it your first sub 3? If so, congrats! What plan do you use? What kind of mileage do you run weekly?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Same shit, different day.

I just cannot get myself to do any of the important non-running training stuff (Hydration, Sleep, Nutrition, no Alcohol) ~ I am running consistently enough to get there, but if the rest does not come together soon ~ failure is likely.

I have the opposite issue.  Slow recovery and not sure how the legs will respond to speed training.  Tried to do a few striders yesterday and hammies were super tight.  Hoping to hit a few miles at MP on Saturday, but I have to remind myself that MP pace is 6:50 not 6:30 like my previous marathon attempt.

Congrats on the sub-3 Cincy!

My shake out runs this week have been really easy so I'll be in for another stab at <3 before Boston registration opens...still scouting out my options though.

I'll be trying sub-3 at Sauvie Island, Portland, Or on July 4th. It's a pretty flat course and, if training goes well, I expect a PR Smile

Do you mean the Portland Marathon in October?

What's the 04JUL race?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

B-Plus

Do you mean the Portland Marathon in October?

What's the 04JUL race?

Foot Traffic Flat Marathon?

http://www.foottraffic.us/flat/

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Was it your first sub 3? If so, congrats! What plan do you use? What kind of mileage do you run weekly?

Not my first. Last time under 3 was in '09. I ran two 3:00:0X marathons since then and was happy with the effort but it was nice to slip under that symbolic mark again.

I loosely followed Pfitz 18/55 mostly for guidance with the requisite mid-week and weekend long runs but also added a lot of trail miles. I think that helped keep me injury free. I also moved recently to an area with more hills.

spinach

Well I didn't make at Fargo yesterday.  I didn't think I would since I had done much training this spring.  Only one 50 mile week and only three other 30 (31, 31, 34) mile weeks this year.  But I guess I put enough miles last fall in the bank that I was able to do 3:09:23, a little better than I was expecting.  I was able to win the 55-59 age group by over ten minutes so I guess it was okay.  I sort of crashed the last 4 miles, I don't ever remember doing that before. So if I can get in some good training, and more important, some miles,  this summer I will give it a shot again in the fall, probably at the Twin Cities.  I will decide which one later in the summer.

2:58:11 at Sugarloaf, nice to get the sub 3 monkey off my back

Oh and 1st AG, first time thats ever happened in a marathon