2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

Oops!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

GD today sucked ~ Maybe I started dehydrated or just did not have it.  It was 80F with 65% humidity = 132 yuck factor (Temp + Dew point) - I felt like I was running comfortably in my 20 minutes @ T speed workout, but I felt relaxed until 17, then quit at 19:15 ... that's right, I could not run 45 more seconds, I had to walk to not pass out ??? WTF!

Possitive is experience in wamth, negative ~ My body does not do well in heat ... even worse the older I get.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

+1.  I was going for 4x1 mile at 5K pace today.  Pretty much same conditions, when the sun came out from behind the clouds it kicked my ass big time.  That said, my 5K to marathon predictor is pretty weak as I suck at shorter distances.  T minus 1.5 weeks to put up or shut up.  Here's to hoping the weather cooperates.

GD today sucked ~ Maybe I started dehydrated or just did not have it.  It was 80F with 65% humidity = 132 yuck factor (Temp + Dew point) - I felt like I was running comfortably in my 20 minutes @ T speed workout, but I felt relaxed until 17, then quit at 19:15 ... that's right, I could not run 45 more seconds, I had to walk to not pass out ??? WTF!

Possitive is experience in wamth, negative ~ My body does not do well in heat ... even worse the older I get.

DoppleBock

Yesterdays workout has prompted me to do something I have never done for a marathon ... an aggressive taper. I need to pull magic from somewhere ~ It sure isn't going to come out of my fat ass!

+1.  I was going for 4x1 mile at 5K pace today.  Pretty much same conditions, when the sun came out from behind the clouds it kicked my ass big time.  That said, my 5K to marathon predictor is pretty weak as I suck at shorter distances.  T minus 1.5 weeks to put up or shut up.  Here's to hoping the weather cooperates.

msujedi

Clive, not sure if you're still compiling that list on the first page, but here's my goal info...

[Jed (39/NO)] – [Oct 20 (Detroit Free Press)] – [Goal = (2:45ish)] RESULT = ______

This will be my first marathon. 22 yrs ago I used to think any distance for which I couldn't sustain 6:00 pace was just too far to run. My running and thinking have both changed since then. Even so, I looked at my 1mile, 5k, 10k race times in the past few years to set my marathon goal of 6:20 per mile.

I'm using the Hanson's plan (slightly modified to include two 18 milers and one 20 miler). My official training begins today. I'm feeling good about my last 5 weeks of pre-training. But, if I don't progress like I hope, I'll adjust my training a goal ... staying under the 3hr ceiliing.

Dopplebock and flatfooter, I hope the tapering (extreme or not) is going well!

I am going to throw my hat back in the mix and go for a double...

jaxn (36,YES!) - 08DEC2013 - California International Marathon (Sacramento, CA) - Goal = 2:50

--

Nashville, TN

DoppleBock

By extreme taper - I mean far less miles than normal taper.

I am always fighting weight, so usually I am fighting it right up to 3 days prior to the race when I start loading.  For the 1st time in forever, I am not doing that either.  Yesterday I started to just eat to break even and not lose weight.  When I am trying to lose weight, I feel beat up from it.

So my well tapered fat-ass will be feeling fresh and supple com 6/23.

The marathon is my favorite race distance, so I am starting to look forward to the race, no matter the result.  Nothing but happy thoughts!

2:56:38  Temps were around 65/humid and held steady most of the race.  Sun was out at the start and it was pretty hot, but we got lucky and breeze off the lake plus cloudy haze kept temps under control.  Legs just didn't have a lot of pop, very steady, lots of lung power, just no speed.  Not all that unexpected 6 weeks after a goal 50 miler.  Can't complain though, I didn't have anything else to give.  Small race so ended up 3rd OA.

My quick and dirty race report.

DoppleBock

Nice - Mine was a fail.  1st 3 miles I tried to hang on with a group shooting for sub 3.  We hit 6:55s and it was too fast.  Then at mile #5 I hooked up with a 7:05-7:10 group until mile #9 and that was too fast, so I let them go.  I then faked it until mile #16 (Regrouped) and ran the last 10.2 a little better.  Finished 3:10:14 ~ 1:34:44 / 1:35:30

If I had ran easier from the start, maybe, just maybe I would have been 3:07-3:08, I just did not have it.

2:56:38  Temps were around 65/humid and held steady most of the race.  Sun was out at the start and it was pretty hot, but we got lucky and breeze off the lake plus cloudy haze kept temps under control.  Legs just didn't have a lot of pop, very steady, lots of lung power, just no speed.  Not all that unexpected 6 weeks after a goal 50 miler.  Can't complain though, I didn't have anything else to give.  Small race so ended up 3rd OA.

My quick and dirty race report.

DoppleBock

Thing that sucks ~ I now have to run another marathon this year (Fall) and scrap any other plans for ultras this fall.  I have not figured out which marathon yet. The way it has been going, I hate to wait to late into fall to find it.

DoppleBock

10/12 Whistle Stop Marathon - Ashland, WI ~ Sub 3

GD it.

The front-page list has been updated.  Please let me know if I've omitted or butchered your entry, everyone.

And I've decided on Richmond again this November.  Fingers crossed for a good training cycle!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

October 12th - Same as Don S.

Hey Don - I see they have morning of packet pickup ... I looked a bit at hotels and not sure if I will find one in Ashland for a reasonable price.  This may leave me either staying in Hurley or sleeping in my car.  If I was coming from your direction I might stay in the town of Brule, there is a little Mom-Pop hotel there @ 30 minutes or so from Ashland.

Maybe just a mattress in the back of the mini-van so I can pass out Saturday night?  Or maybe, just come run and go back home right away?

I have decided on this race, just not sure on the logistics yet.

10/12 Whistle Stop Marathon - Ashland, WI ~ Sub 3

GD it.

Got it.  (And corrected my multiple misspellings of your screen name, too. Black eye Wink

-- Dick LeBeau

lagwagon

I'm gonna jump back in here for a sub-3 shot at NYC Marathon in November.

Last attempt ended 6 weeks early with a calf strain, shortly after a 1:25 HM on tired legs.  Six weeks completely off to recover.

I got the mileage back up pretty quickly though and I'm feeling good again.  Going back at Pfitz 18/70 starting Monday, but probably will lower the intensity for the first 6-8 weeks, then step up if I feel "its on".