2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

joescott

46 years old at Boston this year.

PR 2:50:56 at age 44

Sub-3  7 times -- first time in 2004, squeaked under by 13 seconds.

This year I would have had 10 consecutive years of running at least one marathon, except for that pesky ACL surgery in 2009 that made a big gash in my streak.

I think there is still a big PR or two left in me before I go finally over that proverbial hill, Lord willing. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Stadjak -- Nov3rd -- NYC Marathon -- NYC -- 2:59:59

Oh, yeah? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I think there is still a big PR or two left in me before I go finally over that proverbial hill, Lord willing. 

Or more.  Joe, you may surprise yourself.  A lot (maybe most) of my real-life runner friends are masters runners. I see them setting PRs right and left.   

joescott

Or more.  Joe, you may surprise yourself.  A lot (maybe most) of my real-life runner friends are masters runners. I see them setting PRs right and left.   

Nader, you're always kind to be so encouraging.  Thanks! 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Nader, you're always kind to be so encouraging.  Thanks! 

You're always so kind as to show me how it's done.  

This would describe all of the masters runners that I run with except one. (the setting PR's)  Maybe it's because we didn't get into running until later in life?

Get off my porch

bhearn

I've PRed at some distance every year since I started running in 2004, at 38. Yes, it helps to start late.

[Competitive] Jerk

Hi all,

Throwing my name in the hat here.

36 years old for 2013 races ran 2:44:41 in Philly this year and ran 3 sub-3 marathons before that. I have the following 5 marathons planned:

GregTR 4/15 Boston  Boston, MA 2:39:59

GregTR 4/21 London London, UK 2:49:59

GregTR 9/29 Berlin Berlin, GER – Beat Boston time

GregTR 10/13 Chicago Chicago, IL 2:49:59

GregTR 11/03 New York New York, NY 2:49:59

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

You guys are putting some awesome times together. Boston is a goal for me at some point but not sure when, we will see what happenS.  I'm 27.  I at least don't have any pr's to worry about. Although my prs from college in the shorter races are pretty tough to beat for me right now but I like a challenge...

i have a friend I race with Who started running in his 30s and has been running better and better every year and he's now 42. I don't see him slowing down yet so you never know!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Mr MattM

Little Rock Marathon on March 3rd... just signed up today.

I've run a 3:01 on that course in the past, but I've only broken 3hrs once and that was at Chicago 2010.  I haven't raced any marathons in over 2 years, though I recently 'jogged' though the hills of Percy Warner Park to score another Monkey Kill.  I've completed 50 marathons total.

With only 12 or 13 weeks to train I'd say a sub-3:10 is more realistic, but with proper mileage and weight management sub3 isn't out of the question.  It's time to unleash the beast within... let's do this thing!

be curious; not judgmental

spinach

I just recently found out that I qualify as an elite runner for the Fargo Marathon and so I plan on racing that one.  I ran it in 3:01 a couple years ago and so will go for a sub three next year and if I do the chances are it will be a PR.  I will need to break three by 11 seconds for the PR at age 55.

spinach 5/18  Fargo Marathon 2:59:49

HermosaBoy

I just recently that I qualify as an elite runner for the Fargo Marathon and so I plan on racing that one.  I ran it in 3:01 a couple years ago and so will go for a sub three next year and if I do the chances are it will be a PR.  I will need to break three by 11 seconds for the PR at age 55.

spinach 5/18  Fargo Marathon 2:59:49

Cool!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Oh, yeah? 

Yeah.  You going to pace me there, punk?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

run2thehills

rebuilding r2th v2.0

I have the following 5 marathons planned:

GregTR 4/15 Boston  Boston, MA 2:39:59

GregTR 4/21 London London, UK 2:49:59

GregTR 9/29 Berlin Berlin, GER – Beat Boston time

GregTR 10/13 Chicago Chicago, IL 2:49:59

GregTR 11/03 New York New York, NY 2:49:59

So you're telling us that you're aiming for quantity, not quality?

[Competitive] Jerk

So you're telling us that you're aiming for quantity, not quality?

Touché!

I think I'm going for 2 quality marathons and one stupid bucket list... which is not even complete thanks to Tokyo Angry!