What's the craziest time of day you've run? (Read 904 times)

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

I travel a lot with work and I always try to run when I arrive at my destination (especially after long-haul travel). I guess that the most crazy time I've must be about 3am after travelling from UK to Australia (~22hr journey). Sounds crazy but it helps me to avoid jet-lag. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

I ran at 3:30am once after a long long day at work. I'd told myself I wouldn't let work get in the way of my running, so I forced myself to run. At the time, I lived in Venice, CA, on the beach. I ran north through Santa Monica, where it is basically a homeless camp at night. It was a very, very fast run. But, it is beautiful above the beach at night, so I'm glad I did it.

Young Gun

I used to work as a landscaper... I'd work my 9 hour day in the heat. .drive home, shower, eat dinner.. and nap. Wake up at 11pm and head out for my 6 mile run... then go home, go back to bed and wake up the next morning to do it all again. BUT then there are those 100 Mile races I've run where I've run for 24 hours straight, or 30 hours straight. Nothing beats that! The Vermont 100 Starts at 4am.

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

I'm another 4:30 am runner during the week. Some of my runs may start as early as 4:00, depending on distance, but not much earlier than that. I try to finish by 6 and will run as much as 13 miles mid-week.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

run4fun8910

My runs are usually at 5am. But one morning could not sleep it was a 4:15 for me.
            Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
            eager runner

i use to run at 2:00 am after work when I worked two Jobs I stopped doing it because because drunks get out of the bars and want to try do run over you. If I was really lucky I would have the local cops stop me ever couple miles and asked me what hell I am running from. I found a gym that was open 24hrs problem solved
              Mr R

On my way home for Thanksgiving last year, my flight was canceled and I was redirected a couple of times. It ended up being a 20 hour trip (should have been about 4). At one point, I was at an airport at 3am and it was completely empty. I stuck my carry-on in a locker and ran about 12 miles in the terminal. I knew that I would be so zonked by the time I got home that I wouldn't be able to make myself run again that day. They must have turned down the heat for the night, because it was about 55F. I got a little sweaty, but I rinsed off in the bathroom and threw on a change of clothes from my bag before I boarded my last flight.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

On my way home for Thanksgiving last year, my flight was canceled and I was redirected a couple of times. It ended up being a 20 hour trip (should have been about 4). At one point, I was at an airport at 3am and it was completely empty. I stuck my carry-on in a locker and ran about 12 miles in the terminal. I knew that I would be so zonked by the time I got home that I wouldn't be able to make myself run again that day. They must have turned down the heat for the night, because it was about 55F. I got a little sweaty, but I rinsed off in the bathroom and threw on a change of clothes from my bag before I boarded my last flight.
                  you win.
                  Doug Little

Christmas Morning like 1 am. Full moon, 20 degrees, crisp air. Didn't see santa though!
                      Christmas Morning like 1 am. Full moon, 20 degrees, crisp air. Didn't see santa though!
                      Awesome...

Jeff

...---...

From my old Army days...there is no crazy time to run...it's always a good time to run...and so we did.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

higa

Absolutely Mr Redffern wins!!
                            when i did the Ragnar relay a couple years ago in Utah, i had to race at 4:00 AM. that was cool because it was next to a huge reservoir and it had an 8% downgrade for 2.5 miles. that was pretty intense.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Craziest time has to be mid-afternoon in the summer. You know, after putting off the Sunday long run and now it is 3:30, 80 degrees full sun late in the afternoon. You have family coming over at 6:00, so it is 10 miles now, or not at all.

left-right-left-right-repeat

In Durban the weekend races all start at 5am during summer and at 6am in winter..... and as for crazy times of day to run....no such thing, anytime is a good time. Smile