Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

ALL :  Sounds like 95% of us all are beat up !!! Dead   I still have the wierd ankle thing going on but doesn't seem to get worse.  Best recoveries to you all !!!! Get some rest before race morning.

Me- yesterday did a 9k at new PR time. 7:42 pace  5.6 miles. Felt good, lots of wind. Sat in my cold pool eating beans for recovery LOL

Me- today More College track speedwork.  1 mile = 6:10 new Pr for me woot , then 400 x 2 = 80secs 84secs, then 200x4 = 37 39 37 36

Seems I have some quick feet, just need to work on my lungs.  Somehow take these quick paces and put 26.2 miles on them.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

npaden

Wolfwalker - be careful with all the quality workouts.  PRs are for races.  You need to have at least one easy or rest day between tough workouts.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Wow!  Congratulations to your son!  That's a huge accomplishment and I'm sure you're so very proud!  And rightly so.  Glad to hear you're well on the way to a complete recovery.  That was kinda scary the way you described it but you got it all sorted out in what seems to be a relatively short period of time.  How on earth did your DH end up in the early stages of pneumonia/bronchitis?  Did the doctor say it was Ok to run this weekend?  If you do decide to run, have a great time!  I know you feel unprepared but you'll probably have a 'bad day' and win your AG and get a new PR.  That's just how you roll.....

hector-  Oh yeah, you could easily beat your old 10k PR.  Take care of that foot so you can get your goal in the upcoming HM.

kenyan-  Sounds like you've had a rough time of it lately.  That 5k you ran sounds like torture.  Something Edith would love!  Hang in there and try to get your runs in.

Wolfie-  OK, I'm very tempted to make a joke right right now (about eating beans in the cold pool)  but I will hold back.  It's at the level of 'Family Guy' so I'll just leave it at that.  Also, I have to agree with Nathan.  It seems you're racing almost all of your runs and getting PRs almost every time you go out.  Just be careful.

Nathan-  Still on a streak, I see!  You've now run almost a third of the year.....unbelievable!  I just told DH what you're doing and he says, 'yeah, that's not insane at all'.

Ok, I've done the laundry, I've packed, I'm ready.  So I thought I'd pop back in here to see what's going on.  I feel like I've forgotten to pack something but I figure if I have my running shoes then I can get by.  And I did pack my running shoes.  So I'm good to go.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

npaden

Good luck Miele!  Hope you have a great race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

gosling

Quick Q: what would you wear for a race that was going to be 55 and rainy? Wind 10mph. I generally like to be on the cooler side and was planning to wear knee high compression socks, shorts, and a tank, but I'm wondering if I should wear something warmer on top in light of the rain.

bluerun

Super B****

Jan26.2 -- sorry about your DH, that sucks... but if you do the race whether or not he does, have fun.

hectortrojan -- how strange!  Do you remember bumping it?  I thought I bruised my foot, and it turned out to be tendinitis.  Yuck.

the kenyan -- trail races are deceptive that way, but they can do a number on your confidence.  They don't really reflect your ability off the trails!

miele -- good luck!!  Can't wait to hear all about it.

gosling -- personally, I'd rather be on the warmer side, so if I knew it was going to be cool(ish) and raining, I'd just wear a jacket.  Not for the warmth, but for the water-resistance.

...Did I get everyone??  Probably not, sorry if I didn't!

So -- I definitely need another vacation.  Preferably one that does not require flying.  I had to switch planes in San Juan on my way home, and as the second plane was taxiing down the runway -- RIGHT before it lifted off the ground -- it suddenly screeched to a stop.  I was sitting right over the wing so I got a front-row seat to the ensuing drama in which the engine literally went up in smoke.  Obviously, I didn't go anywhere, ended up spending the night in Puerto Rico, which meant I had to cancel my PT appointment the next day.  That especially sucked because my shins are NOT happy about going the better part of a week without a foam roller.  Today should have been a XT day for me, but I ran an easy 3.2 instead, because my knees are so horribly sunburned that I can't bend them enough to ride a bike.  (Well, I CAN.  With a great deal of pain.)

And my race is a week from Sunday.  Oh, boy.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

hectortrojan

the Kenyan – 600 feet of elevation gain in 1 mile is very tough. I wouldn’t even know how to attack that hill in the race. It is good idea to have a couple of 10+ miles run. For sure it will boost your confidence.

Wolfwalker23 – good job in getting 9k at 7:42. Seems like speed work is you favorite workout. Is it?

Gosling – I personally would not wear something warmer in the conditions that you described.

Bluerun – I don’t remember bumping my foot. It is not bad right now. I didn’t run for two days and I think it would be fine when I go for the long run tomorrow. I am sorry about your flight fiasco. I hope you get well and feel very fresh for the race next weekend.

pcaharrier

Miele - You start in front of and finish inside Hayward Field?!?  I'm jealous!  Good luck with the race and I hope the weather turns out to be good for you.

bluerun - Yikes!  That is so NOT the way I would want to end any vacation.  The worst airplane trouble I've ever run into only kept me back by a couple hours.  I hope your shins and knees feel better in time for your race.

npaden - The streak is still alive?  That's impressive.  I know you're getting closer to your goal marathon, but it seems like you'll be plenty ready for it by the time you get to the starting line.

I've got about a month left on my 10k training cycle (goal race is Memorial Day weekend) and the Hansons intermediate plan that I shelled out for calls for a practice 5k race  this week.  It was cool and clear this morning and I jogged a slow mile as a warmup then did just a teensy bit of stretching.  I'm shooting for 47:00 for my 10k so I was hoping to be able to do the 5k in 23:00 or faster.  That works out to about 4:36/km and I think trying to pace it in terms of kilometers might have helped me keep a more even pace (although I didn't have the foresight to program my RunKeeper app so it would record the splits).  In any event, I came in at 21:46 which I count as a good indication that the training is working (there's a small discrepancy between my GPS and the course as mapped on RA, but even then I think it would only be a matter of another 6 or 7 seconds).

npaden

pcaharrier - very impressive time for a time trial 5K.  I think you have a sub 45 minute 10K in the very near future.  Probably this one coming up.

My streak is up to 114 days and 909.1 miles according to my running log.  Had my last SOS (something of substance) workout today.  Supposed to be 13 miles with 10 at marathon pace, but ended up averaging marathon pace for all 13.15 miles.  It was sunny 79 degrees and 20 mph winds and I ran a pretty hilly course so I was pretty happy with the result.  My HR was higher than I would have liked, but pushing 80 degrees with the wind, hills and sun I think that explains  why my HR was a little high.

10 day forecast isn't much different than checking the almanac, but right now it is showing 66 for a high with a low of 46 the night before so hopefully that will hold up for race day.

All easy runs from here on.

gosling

I was so close, guys. So close.

Mile 1: SO nervous. It's so crowded. And so rainy. Can I do this? I can do this. Just hang with the pacer. (9:18)

Mile 2: Hills. I hope I can do this. (8:54)

Mile 3: My feet are soaked. The worst of the hills. If I can just get up these hills I'll be ok. (9:12)

Mile 4: More hills. Made it up the hills. Ef yeah!! This is awesome! But ouch. My leg hurts. Crap. It's too early for my leg to hurt! I can't do this. I'll never make it. Maybe I should just quit now. Maybe I'll feel better if I take a gu. (9:17)

Mile 5: My leg feels better. Strange. I can do this! (8:55)

Mile 6: Still raining. Why is it still raining?! More hills. I feel strong. Halfway there. Just hang on for another hour. (9:04)

Mile 7: Just hold on to the pacer. Almost up the hills. (9:13)

Mile 8: Last huge hill. You can do this. Push! (8:51)

Mile 9: Downhill! Finally! I feel awesome! I am SO going to do this! Where's the pacer? Somewhere behind us. Oh well. (8:56)

Mile 10: This hurts. Why the frack is it still raining?! My hands are numb. My shin's hurting again. Maybe I'll take another gu. (8:59)

Mile 11: That gu didn't help. Shin killing me. 20 more minutes. Don't walk. I can do this. I have to do this! (9:25)

Mile 12: Oh no, a hill. Shin is about to explode. Someone hold me. I need a break from the pain. Just a quick walking break until the pacer catches up. Walking feels good. Shin aches less. Starting to feel better. Oh damn, there's the pacer. (10:06)

Mile 13: Just keep running, just keep running (or jogging, that's good too.) Focus on anything but your leg. Pacer is pulling away. Go. Go. Go. I can't go. I'll walk again. Now I'll sprint. Now I'll walk again. This is like intervals! Whee! (10:10)

Last .1: Just keep going. The only way this misery is going to end is if you keep going. (8:43)

As you can see, I was MAJORLY back and forth in my head the whole race. I honestly have never raced harder in terms of self-doubt and also pain level. I was seriously ready to quit at mile 4 when my leg started to hurt; I thought I'd never make it. Even though I didn't make my goal, I felt like I pretty much left everything on the course. Or close to it anyway. I was really hurting at the end. I'm a little disappointed, but given the rain and my shin and the 2.5 weeks I took off (which maybe hurt me mentally more than physically) I am trying not to let it get me down. I do feel confident that on a better day/flatter course/without injury, I could have made it...which means I WILL make it next time.

TL;DR: Final time - 2:01:07. Shin KILLING me at the finish. Poured entire time.

Npaden and Miele : Thanks for the advice. I actually thought about your posts last night on my run. I ended up running a 7:27 pace for the 5.6 miler last night for new PR of 41.44    I kept thinking the whole time they are  going to kill me for this LOL   I felt good though , it was cool outside and today is my rest day so I will take it easy now  :P  I was close to my overtraining point. Next week is just slow miles.

Hectortrojan :  This cycle is all about my pace and speed ya. I am running less days and less miles but more intense. From this week on out though I am just going to start building a bigger base and slower  long runs up to 22 miles. Seriously thinking of this San Diego marathon on June 2nd.  If I can't afford the registration I will probably just run up and down the local running path for 26.2 miles on the same day.  This training is not going to waste thats for sure. 

Pcaharrier : The hanson's plan is good.   Great 5k time too!  You are going to crush it for sure. The results don't lie.

Gosling : Surprised wow ! that sounded like a true battle.  Congrats on your time as well !!! I know it stings to be so close to a goal but when you give it everything, then who cares about a few seconds.  The strength and courage it took for you to finish is what matters.  Your 2:01 will be broken soon and replaced with a new PR but if you quit, that would have lasted forever!  So proud you struggled through and crossed the finish. congrats!! Big grin

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

npaden

Gosling, sorry I missed that you were racing this weekend.  Sounds like you gave it everything you had and came so close.  For sure without dealing with the injury the last couple weeks and during the race you would have sub 2 no problem next time!

doctorjen

gosling - excellent job!  Way to fight through a tough race!  I'm so impressed you came that close to your goal with the injury and all the time off.  Now heal that thing up for good before you pick another race and you're sure to go sub-2!

npaden - hope you are enjoying your taper.  It's almost getting close enough for weather forecasts to be a little closer than a crap shoot!

miele - waiting to hear!  I didn't really think about it until you pointed it out, but you're right - all my fastest miles were under the influence of conversation.  I'm not sure if that means I should run alone, or if I'd PR if I got someone friendly to run with me!

bluerun - yikes on the sunburn.  How'd you manage that?  And you need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

the Kenyan - that does sound like a tough race.  I don't like going down trail hills, it turns out, even more than going up.  I'm terrified of falling (and I'm a klutz, so it's not a baseless fear)

jan - How are you and dh feeling?  Racing tomorrow or getting some chance for further recovery?  I'm glad your weather is a little better, anyway.

Edith - are you still in the heat and humidity?  I have a chance to trail run tomorrow, which I'm trying to work into my work day since I'm on call.  Since I'm not officially training for anything right now I'm looking forward to running for fun and I'm definitely feeling the need to feel some dirt beneath me!

Wolfwalker - Even with a run less/run faster approach, I worry that running every single run faster than the last is risking injury!  I'm glad you have some slower runs this week.

me - I'm recovering.  Weirdly, my brain was ready to run the next day, but I mentioned it to my legs and they were all "WTH, dude?  No way!"  so I didn't run until Tuesday.  No injuries or nagging pains, but my legs still feel heavy and get tight.  I've only run 3 times this week, but I just did 6 on the treadmill just now and it felt pretty good.  The plan is to run easy and for enjoyment over the next 2 weeks.  I'm hoping to get on the trails tomorrow with a friend, and run with my early morning crew for the chatting.  I'm starting to have flashes of thinking about taking another shot at it this fall.  The question is, do I want to try to race a marathon in September and still try for 2014, or wait until October/November for likely a better shot, but have it be for 2015?  There's also the consideration that September could still be hot (I'd likely look at Omaha for september.)  Meanwhile, I'm running the Hospital Hill half marathon on June 1, but just for fun.

Zelanie

Good luck to Stever and Miele!

Gosling- It sounds like you had to work HARD for your time, congratulations to you!  That sub-2 is out there, just take the time to recover well now!

me- Knee was still terrible last weekend, so I have taken the entire week off of running, Mon-Sun.  That's on top of running something like 4.6 last week.  On Monday, I will try one mile, and if the knee hurts, I will find a good sports doc.

You Rang?

gosling - UGH!  Rain!  Pain!  and you were so close.  You have a two hour half in you.  This was just not your day.

Me - I'm finishing week 2 of my Hansonesque half marathon plan.  I'm hitting all the speed and distance goals in the plan so far although I will confess that today's 5k race simulation run was tough. The target was a 5k in 27 minutes and I cleared it in 26:36.  Would be a new PR for me if I'd been wearing a bib.  Maybe I should go and find a race in two weeks because that is when the next race sim appears on the schedule.

I bought a copy of Hanson's book and am 50 or so pages into it.  It seems to make sense.  Every run has a purpose.  No running for the sake of running, and two speed sessions (intervals & tempo/race sim) a week.  Tomorrow is the long run.  The plan has six miles, but I think I'm gunna need more time than that just to blow the fog out of my head!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)