Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

miele

Godzilla

stever-  I guess I forgot to add that I didn't suffer a mortifying incident despite the less than stellar pre-race constitutional.  That was a relief.  I've got a 10k at the end of the month, possibly another 10k in August (that's when marathon training will start for me) and a half marathon either in Sept. or Oct. Haven't decided yet.

Wolfie-  We're all different so if you need that much water then don't deprive yourself.  If you try and cut down then do it gradually with small decreases.  And I have to agree with Nathan again.  Be careful.  What kind of taper are you going to do for your June 2nd marathon (is it still a self-inflicted, solo marathon or did you sign up for one?)?  You're going to kill it.

Zelanie-  Yay for two pain free miles!!!  How did the 3 miles go?  We went to the coast while in Eugene and it was beautiful.  We talked about renting a place for a few days at some point and I mentioned that Newport has a small yet very popular marathon.  He's practically signed me up already.  This would be for next year since the race is on June 1st.

keepon-  Don't die!  You'll be fine.  You can use this race as a reference point for future races just to get an idea of your fitness and capabilities.  I hope you're feeling better.  Hopefully your race will start early enough to avoid the 20C.

blue-  Keep calm and rock on.  You'll do great!

hector-  I've made an effort to try and run my tempos by feel.  Intervals I do tend to check the pace and easy runs I basically don't care how slowly I run.  I think it helps to think in terms of, 'can I keep this pace for x number of miles'

pc=  Hope the training is going well.

Nathan- I'm thinking I would cut back a little on the taper, as well, the final week.  I don't think it's going to hurt at all and it'll help psychologically to feel more rested.  I've got the Jeopardy theme song in my head thinking about your upcoming race.  I don't remember if I asked or not but what's your carbo-loading look like?  Just curious.

me-  Thanks for all the congratulations!  Had I thought I could do so well I wouldn't have eaten like a total pig leading up to the race.  I'm back home again.  No running this week and I might even blow off the gym, too.  I really, really, really need to attack the weeds which have taken over the yard.  I really, really, really hate yard work.  We'll see how that works out.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Zelanie

I hear good things about Newport!  But apparently it can fill up quickly since it's so small.

There are some lovely places along the Oregon coast.  I used to live in Yachats, just south of Newport.

My knee started hurting on my run tonight and I called it quits after 2.5.  I think it's time to see a doc.

Npaden : For sure, you have good advice.  I have had two bad injuries in the last training cycle so this cycle I ran alot different.  It sounds like I am running at my max but I am not.  I will be tapering more and more as I only have a month left until the marathon. No more speed/ hills/ strength stuff.  Just a few long runs and lots of rest.

Miele : Since I did the 1/2 mara 2 weeks ago, I did no long runs. Now  I feel rested enough to start climbing up the long run ladder.  I might take it to 18 miles or so before the marathon.  15 this week, 17 then 18 then rest week.  I am not interested in going past 18 really.  As for the marathon I decided to save my money and run it alone.  I will do the same course as my last marathon on the beach in Los Angeles.  It is a double up and back on a bikepath, its really flat and scenic.  I know where the turn arounds are so I am ready.  My last experience there really stung me hard so I am coming back there for some revenge!!!  I just have to get a friend or family member to come cheer me on and throw me some water bottles Smile    If I had a chance to qualify for Boston 2014 I would pay the $ for the San Diego marathon but its not happening this year. I am just hoping to run this marathon distance in 3:30-3:45 or so.  Anything around there would make me jump through the roof Big grin

Zelanie :  Sad  Dang we were all rooting for you.  Get that thing checked out for sure.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  Yes, see a doctor.  Something's going on that's not fixing itself (like it should) so a good sports doctor could be the answer.  Sorry it didn't work out without taking it further but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  We went to Yachats!  Then up to a lighthouse.  Seals, forests, wind, water, lunch.  It was a good day.  I'll decide about Newport after CIM.  I just checked the website and registration closes today but I guess there are still some spots available.  Too bad they don't have a half marathon.  I hope you find or already have a good doctor.

miele

Godzilla

Wolfie-  Cross-posted.  Conventional tapering calls for reducing mileage but maintaining some intensity.  For instance an interval workout during each of the first couple of weeks of the taper (maybe instead of 4x1600s you would do 3x1600)  and then maybe some strides and a couple of miles at MP the final week.  Just a thought.  I don't have my Pfitz book in front of me but it's something along those lines.  Maybe someone else can chime in.  I don't think a 3:30 is in the cards this time but a sub 3:40 seems like a solid goal.  Revenge is yours for the taking.

Jan26.2

miele - CONGRATULATIONS!!! CoolBig grin You ran a spectacular race and have the finish time to prove it! Whatever was going on with your legs during training evidently got scared and left before your race. It sounds like you had a nice vacation too - Oregon is definitely on my list of places I want to visit.

Zelanie - I'm so sorry your knee isn't behaving. I vote for a doctor's visit too. It might be something relatively simple to fix - fingers crossed.

Wolf - Revenge is a great motivator! I think you'll be fine just going to 18 miles. For my first marathon, my friend and I thought we ran a 20 miler, but after the race found out it was only 18. Didn't make a bit of difference during the marathon.

Me - Guess what Mother Nature gave us yesterday? 14 inches of snow. She is such a bitch! It was so bad we had another day off school, so who know when we'll have to make this one up. Oh well, that's what subs are for. The race on Sunday had no negative effects on my parts, so yesterday I did some tempo work on the TM, ended up with 6.5 miles. Hoping for a LR outside this weekend, but a lot of melting needs to happen in the next two days!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Lurch - reading a training plan is so beyond me!  I pick one, skimming the text for important details, then make it up as I go.

Gosling - after a hard race, I usually can not eat for up to 8 hours.  I sip (diet) coke to stay hydrated and calm my tummy.  It's kind of funny what your DH said about suffering.  My brother says the same to me, that I would race stronger and harder if I could suffer more and not hold back.   I just say my time running is more important to me than the time. Haha.

Miele - I am home now.  Congratulations on a great race, despite the tired legs.  I'm hoping to match your (tired leg) pace with my (fresh leg) pace this Sunday.   I'd like a new 10 mile PR. It's funny that I love the trails but I suck at following trail markers... But that's mostly bc I am so used to just following along behind my brother on the trails.    The day I arrived home from FL I went into the yard and attacked the weeds.  I really like getting it done but it's hard work!!   Unfortunately it just rained here so now I have to do it again.  Sigh.  Drinking a smoothie afterwards helps too.

Bluerun - yuck... But I learned something new Smile   I hope you can find some distraction from your freak out.

hector - it's nice to see that resting is actually helping your pace!

Wolfwalker - you are really getting some great runs in.  Nice pace too.  My brother is a very thin/small runner and he drinks A LOT more water than me for the same distance.  We are all just so different.

Keeponrunnng - be careful trying to keep a specific pace, especially if the temperatures are warmer then you are used to.  Heat/humidity can really affect racing.

Paden - that is high humidity!  Is it supposed to rain???

Zelanie -  yes, go see the doctor.  And if you can find one, get to a Chiro that specializes in sports.  Someone who will WANT to keep you running, and not one who will just tell you to stop running (bc it's bad for the knees, haha).

me -  well, again, I set out on Monday for an easy run, but at mile 1.5 I saw some JV track boys out for a run so I just HAD to catch them.  Passed them and kept them behind me until I hit my 3 mile turnaround.  Had a pace of 8:30 until I slowed it for the 6th and last mile.  Legs still tired from Sat.    Yesterday I ran my favorite road/trail/hilly road 10 mile run.  We call it a bi-surface or du-terrain run. Smile  Because my legs still felt a bit tired (on the hills), I'm going to rest until Sunday's race. I'm really hoping for fresh legs.

Happy Hamburger Month!  Happy National Day of Prayer!  Happy running!!!

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Jan - we posted same time... So more snow??????   I think at this point i would start running from my house and not stop until I found some sun.   I hope it melts quickly for you, and only for you!!  Heehee.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                  • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                  • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

hectortrojan

Wolfwalker23 –it’s interesting that how different each of us are based on location, body type, weight, effort, mentality, practice and other related things. You drank 50oz during your half marathon, and I think I drank less than 15 oz during my half marathon. I sweat a lot while running. When I go for 3 hour long run, I fill my camelback hand held water bottle. I think it is 21 oz and so far I haven’t ran out of water, but at the same time I go on trails and it not all in the sun, plus weather just started getting warmer so we will so how long would it last. It doesn’t matter that much as long as it works for each of us. You are significantly quicker than I am. May be I will start drinking more if/when I reach your pace.

Npaden – I like your plan of keeping easy miles to 20 for this week. I am sure that you will feel fresh anf quick on the race day.

Zelanie – I am sorry that your knee started feeling bad into the run today. I hope, it is minor.

Jan26.2 – I hope snow gets clear by the weekend and you can enjoy your long run outside.

EdithRevisited – I am sure that it was a lot of fun to overtake JV track boys – I don’t even know what does that mean! Good luck with your race this Sunday.

pcaharrier

npaden - I just wanted to pop in and wish you a good race this weekend.  I hope the weather holds up for you and remember to trust your training (and if anyone knows that you've put in the work to race well, it's all the folks in this thread).  Have fun and I know we all look forward to reading your RR when you get back.

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Thanks!  It was a good day.  What's up with your weather?!?!  Your DH needs to get a snow plow and plow a path for you to use.  Doesn't have to be a big snow plow.  So glad to hear you're feeling well after the race and your issues are gone (knock on wood).  No more hurting parts!

Edith-  Thanks!  I guess I've never had a problem following markers since I'm always behind someone.  (the only time I was unsure was when there was one guy way ahead of me who also seemed unsure.  I yelled ahead, "is this the way?'.  I think he shrugged his shoulders.  Turned out later it was TwoFootShuffle!  Lol).  I managed to pull or at least snap off some weeds.....big help that is.  They'll grow back tomorrow.  It was fun Undecided.  Today might be a smoothie day, or a frap day, or possibly a froyo day.  They all sound good.  Good luck Sunday!!!   Go get your PR!!!!  Oh, and I had no idea it was Hamburger Month (didn't know such a thing existed).  Coincidentally, I had a hamburger on the 1st so I'm off to a good start.

hector-  I think if we all drink water like Wolf then maybe we'll be as fast as he is.  Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Nathan-  Good luck!  Safe travels and have an awesome race!  Weather seems to be getting better.

blue-  Good luck!!!  How are your shins and sunburn?

keepon-  Good luck on Sunday!  I hope your legs are recovered and ready to go!

me-  Nothing to see here.  No running till Mon.  Just taking it easy.  Reading my Hansons' book.  It kind of gets me excited about the marathon.  It's way too early for that.  I've got a 10k in 4 weeks which means I'll have a some opportunities for speed work.  Only once a week, though.  I'm not going to overdo it.  I'm looking at 10k plans just to get an idea of interval workouts and one plan only had 400 and 800 intervals.  Another has mile intervals.  Any ideas?  I guess I could switch off between the shorter and longer ones.

Lots of racers this weekend.....Have fun!!

Jan26.2

Good luck too all the racers this weekend!! I'm looking forward to settling in on Sunday night with a glass of wine (or three) and reading some race reports. Big grin

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

pcaharrier

me-  Nothing to see here.  No running till Mon.  Just taking it easy.  Reading my Hansons' book.  It kind of gets me excited about the marathon.  It's way too early for that.  I've got a 10k in 4 weeks which means I'll have a some opportunities for speed work.  Only once a week, though.  I'm not going to overdo it.  I'm looking at 10k plans just to get an idea of interval workouts and one plan only had 400 and 800 intervals.  Another has mile intervals.  Any ideas?  I guess I could switch off between the shorter and longer ones.

Lots of racers this weekend.....Have fun!!

Are you one who sees better results from mixing things up or from consistency?  If you want to avoid getting into a rut with speed workouts, I'd suggest throwing in some other distances there.

For instance, I've done 400, 800, and mile intervals in training for my May 25, 10k race and I feel like all of those have made for good workouts.  The plan that I've been working from also calls for two sessions of 5x1000 intervals run at 10k pace with a 600 recovery jog.  Next week I'll do 8x200 @ mile pace so I'm really interested to see what that feels like.

I think your idea of switching back and forth between the shorter and longer intervals is definitely a good idea.

npaden

Edith - Good Luck Sunday, hope you do great!

Me - Thanks for the well wishes.  Still nervous, but ready to get this done.  Flight leaves at 6:40 tomorrow morning so it will be good practice for getting up EARLY to get there since the race starts at 6:30 on Sunday.  Weather is looking a bit better, down to 20% chance of rain now, it was at 50% a few days ago.  I'm flying back home the day of the marathon (flight leaves at 4:00 that afternoon), so I doubt I will be able to post up a race report until Monday.  I will try to get a very short something posted Sunday though.  If anyone can't wait they can sign up for real time tracking or check the results on their website  http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/.  I'm hoping to finish around 10:30 eastern time.  

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bluerun

Super B****

I haven't had access to a computer much lately, since my desktop at work is infected with malware and IT is taking their sweet old time fixing it... and by the time I get home at night I just want to go to sleep!  So I'm sorry I don't have time to individually address everyone...

I just got back from picking up my race packet -- there's no race day pickup, which is annoying.  I got stuck in horrible traffic on the way there, so it took over an hour (supposedly it would have been 45 minutes, and it did take me 50 minutes to get back).  But now I have my bib, so I can REALLY start to freak out, right??  I'm saying now that I will be happy if I finish in one piece, but I know I'm probably going to complain no matter WHAT my finish time.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog