Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

doctorjen

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to bluerun and Nathan!  Can't wait to hear about your race!

Bluerun Npaden and Edith, best of luck this weekend !!!!  Looking forward to hearing some RR's.   I hope it is cooler where you all are. It is 7:00pm and its 86' in my room right now... Hot days in California. ugh

Me- no runs for the last 2 days. I did a cross training thing yesterday / situps pushups and some other stuff. Just resting my legs up.

- Today . I did 10.6 miles but in 2 different runs. 5 miles in the morning (8am). Ran it at 8.01 pace. Felt good. Came back, stretched, ate rehydrated and slept for 2 hours.  Ran another 5.6 miles around 5:30pm at 8:25 pace.  The wind was howling so it kept me right where I needed to be. I was aiming for 8:30 pace but close enough.  I like splitting up some of the longer runs as my knees and ankles don't feel so abused.

Its all rest until Sunday. I will be running 15 miles so I need all my energy. Hoping for a 2 hour - 15 miles which would be my 8min pace. maybe a 1:59.59 would be nice Smile  Anyways cya all later and be safe!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Zelanie

Good luck to Nathan and Bluerun!

npaden

Big grin

Official chip time 3:48:09!!!!

Very happy with that!  Weather was perfect!   Stuck with the 3:50 pace group until mile 19 and then picked it up a little.  That last mile was tough!!!!!

Full race report later, soaking in the tub in the hotel for a bit then about to get on a plane in a few hours.  I don't think I will need a wheel chair assist but I will be looking to avoid stairs and limping a little.

Very happy with just about every aspect of the race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

Nathan!!!!!!!  WooooooHoooooo!  I just got on to the Flying Pig site in hopes of tracking you but I was too late.  What a fantastic time!  I can't wait to read the RR.  Mucho congratulations!!!!!!

Edith, Blue?  Where are you?

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Jan26.2

Wow Nathan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's an awesome time. Huge congrats - can't wait to read the RR.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

doctorjen

Nathan, holy cow, way to go!  Can't wait to read the full report!  Try to walk around some on the plane.

Waiting patiently to hear from Edith and blue.

Zelanie - how are you feeling?  Any news on the injury front?

Wolf - that is some pretty warm weather!  I've read we should drink to thirst, so I think you're safe drinking what you feel you need. In the summer, I'll drink all 22 oz in my handheld for a 12 mile run and be thirsty enough to chug another water bottle when I'm done.  I think people are at higher risk of running in to trouble if they either drink too much trying to drink on schedule, or ignore thirst and drink too little.

Jan - ugh, May snow. We only got 2 inches here, but really?  This is Missouri, we do not expect spring snow here!  Ours is all melted now and today it'll be high 50s, but we have a lot of rainy days in the forecast.

Miele - you still recovering, or back at it yet?

Keeponrunning - did you race today, too?

Me - I've had a nice week of running just for enjoyment. Last Sunday I met a friend and had the most perfect trail run. It was muddy, but 60ish and sunny and it was so nice to run thru the woods, along the lake, and get some honest dirt on me. Then we got 2 inches of snow Thursday!  In May, in Missouri!  Had a few treadmill runs due to freezing rain, snow, and poor ground conditions. Yesterday I got out with some more friends for a cold damp trail run. It was too wet to run our single track trails, so we ran one that is gravel, but still through the woods. Today I met another friend and we did 8 miles. Both of us were full of it for some reason today and had to make a conscious effort to keep slowing it down. Ended up averaging 9:16 pace for the 8 miles. She just ran a 5K PR yesterday and had a crazy week, and I'm 2 weeks out from a hard effort marathon, so I don't know what was up with us. 45 miles total for me this week.

I'm leaning towards making another BQ attempt in November, maybe at the Indianapolis Monumental marathon. I decided September is just too close and too risky weather wise. The advantage to Monumental, too, is I coud wait until September  or October to sign up and see how training was going.

bluerun

Super B****

Thanks for the good luck wishes!!

CHIP TIME 1:44:49.  I am in such agony it's not even funny, but nothing appears to be broken so I'm ecstatic!  I don't generally post RRs on here, though I do write them, so if you want to read my meandering ramblings, here's a link

http://runningbreak.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/long-island-half-marathon-2013/

Congrats, Nathan, that's fantastic!!

docjen -- go for it!!  A BQ is in the cards.  Says me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

keeponrunning

So, I figured out 7km into today's race that running a half the weekend after a hockey tournament was a bad idea.   Completely missed my goal, I don't know my chip time yet but I'm thinking it'll be around 2:15.  Race report later.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Npaden !!!!  Awesome time man!  Give me some of that mojo.  Look forward to the long RR

DocJen  I ran 15 miles today and drank maybe 14 oz water and 30 oz of powerade. When I weighed myself afterwards, I was really dehydrated, Maybe 4-5 pounds lighter so I chugged a lot of water after and recovered well.  It was high humidity here today so I should have drank more. There are so many debates on water / fluid consumption, I think it might be one of the most personal routines in sports. I am still trying to find a good article about the differences of drinking diluted sports drink the whole race vs drinking water then s.drink then water etc.. at 100% strengths.    ==  I wish you luck on the BQ qualify as well, You can do it for sure.

Bluerun !!! Great run and sweet PR time as well.  The neg. splits were inspiring. Nice strong finish.  I hope your body recovers quickly.  I think you will do well in the 1mile.  It is a tricky run but with the miles you have put on, you should be ready to post a good time.  I did a lot of research on how to run a fast mile, what kind of lap splits etc.. It is exciting Smile Good luck

Keeponrunning ! Sounds like a tough one, but still look forward to the race report.  Recover well and get out strong again Smile

Me :  I did my 15mile run today.  Goal was 2 hours flat and I ran a 2:00.29 for a 8:02 pace which I was overjoyed with.  I tried a couple new things because this was basically my practice run for the marathon coming up.  I wanted to run the first 2.5 miles slower, then speed up to the 8 min pace, and finish with some 7 somethings.  This surprisingly worked great. I was skeptical but here are the splits that I was able to take :  0 - 2.5 miles = 8.30pace / 2.5 - 5 miles = 8:00pace / 5 - 15 miles = 7.55pace.  I felt good and seemed to recover really fast.  I look forward to trying the same things I learned today in the marathon. The runs for the next couple weeks will all be much slower runs.  I feel strong and for once, maybe injury free so I am trying to keep the flow going!! Smile

Below is my previous 15 miler and today's 15 miler

11-11-12   (2hr18.20)  15.0miles/24.1k 9.13minmile 6.5mph

05-05-13   (2hr00.29)  15.0miles/24.1k 8.02minmile 7.4mph

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Jan26.2

Blue - Whoa!!! Fabulous race (loved the RR). Congrats.

keeponrunning - Sorry you missed your goal, but any finish is a win. Looking forward to the RR.

Edith - Hope your race was wonderful.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

miele

Godzilla

pc-  Thanks for the input.  I'm going to mix up the distances.  I did see one interesting workout....I'll try to link it, which is 25x400 at 10k pace done two weeks before goal race.  Only to be done once a year.   http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/hit-your-marks  I'm thinking of trying it out later on.  I figure I'll run a goal 10k in about 12 weeks and use this workout two weeks before that race.   So this 10k in 4 weeks should give me some new paces to work with, hopefully.

doc-  I've taken a whole week off.  Completely.  No running.  But tomorrow is the day I start back and it's going to be an interval workout.  You've gotten some good runs in!  So soon after your big race, too.  I think you're making the right decision in waiting till November for another marathon.

blue-  Wow!  Way to tough it out!  Great race!  What's up with the shoulder cramping?  That sounds a bit odd to me but since you've had it before you knew what it was all about.   Excellent pacing.

keepon-  Oh no!  How did I miss your race?  So sorry.  Sounds like you were still too beaten up after your hockey game to run the race the way you wanted to.   Looking forward to your RR.

Wolfie-  Nice run!  Agree with docjen about the water.  Drink to thirst.  I would think drinking diluted sports drink might be easier on the stomach if you were prone to issues from drinking the straight stuff.  It would definitely be easier to take one bottle as opposed to two.

Edith-  I can't take it much longer......

Hi to all!

Just checking in on our racers.  Tomorrow I'll start running again.  Might do 1600s on the track.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

gosling

blue - You did it! Loved reading your RR. So is your knee totally healed? Ick! I'd never heard of sweat blisters before. Being that I have a ballet background, I'm no stranger to the mentality of starving oneself. Glad you found running and are working on being healthy. Have you had a bone scan? I'm curious because my doctor urged me to get one a while ago - because I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for about 5 years straight and bad about taking calcium - but I haven't done it yet.

miele - Great RR. Congrats again on an awesome race and I think the fact that you didn't feel sore afterwards shows that you would be much faster on a day when your legs were in tip top shape. Running just a few seconds shy of your PR with fatigued legs is pretty amazing.

Wolf - Nice 15 miler. Send me some of your speed! You drink so much when you run...I think I am the opposite end of the spectrum. I didn't drink ANYTHING for any runs until I got up to 11 miles (and my 11-12 milers I just took a few sips halfway through). Granted most were in cooler weather but I didn't even feel thirsty on my 10 milers. I hydrate like a mofo before and after though so maybe that's how I get away with it. I got up at 4am the morning of my HM just so I had time to pee out the 34oz of water I drank. I also literally CAN NOT run and drink. I choke every.single.time. In races I have to walk a couple paces while I grab a few sips.

keeponrunning - Sounds like you were just too fatigued this time. Next time pick a race a few weeks out from your hockey tournament! Looking forward to reading your RR.

npaden - Holy cow! Amazing time. I didn't doubt for a second you'd do it though, you earned that big time. Can't wait to hear the full story.

Zelanie - Hope you got some insight as to what's going on with your knee.

Jan - Hope the snow's melted by now!

Edith - Can't wait to hear how it went!

docjen - Sounds like a smart plan to hold back and try for the BQ at the later race.

Me - Went for my first post race run today. Did 3 easy miles with my husband...it was his first run after a month off so he kept me honest about the pace Smile Felt good and my shin didn't bother me at all. I'm still going to try to mix it up more this next month with cross training but hopefully I can still do some running while I'm healing. Felt physically recovered by Tuesday and I finally feel mentally recovered as well - crazy how a race can make you feel so simultaneously strong, weak, triumphant, and like a failure. I don't plan to race much this summer (I don't run well in the heat) but I'm eyeing a Sept 15 half marathon while we're visiting NY. Would like to do it sooner but it's just too dang hot in the south. We head out to California this week for 3 weeks family vacation - can't wait!

gosling

Also, I wanted to say how much I appreciated the supportive comments even though I didn't run my goal time. I really went through the ringer on this one - physically and mentally - and you guys helped me gain prospective and feel good about my effort. Very glad to be a part of this group.

nathan-awesome job on a sub 3:50 marathon. That's my goal too in September.

bluerun-wow wow wow, a 1:44 HM! I gotta say that I love your pacing. I wish I had that in my last HM. Great job, now on to sub 1:40??Wink

me-fantastic running weekend. 1) Started my first training run for my first ever marathon. 2) My 12 year old daughter wanted to start running with us, so we started with a nice 3k-ish run/walk program to get her going. I hope that she sticks with it. Smile

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                                2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45