Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

npaden

I think it depends on what you are trying to do with this race.

You could go out at 9:09 and see if you can pull the sub 2 hour off now if you want, with the thought process that if you don't make it and blow up a bit at the end it isn't a big deal because this isn't your "goal" race.

You could treat it as a long training run and go out in the 9:30 range and then start picking it up at the end like a progression run.

I would probably still run the 10K as a true race and use it to help zero in my pace for the goal half marathon and not mess with the dress rehersal, but that's just me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Thanks npaden - I think I might try for the sub 2 and see what happens.  I might be able to pull it off if the stars align correctly, but otherwise I'm signed up for two more halfs this year, so I'll have other shots at it.  At the very least it will be a learning experience.

The only reason I"m leaning towards doing the half over the 10k is that I'd like my first half to be in the Chicago area.  And it will be my last race before I hit 40.  Neither one of those things is particularly relevant, but the heart wants what the heart wants.  Big grin

npaden

Sounds like a plan.  Find the pace group and go out with them.  The rush of the actual race may very well have you going sub 2 hours and it will be a nice learning process if you don't make it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Hi!  New here and looking to seek advice on running sub 2:00.  I've had a few cracks at it and have come very close (2:05, 2:03. 2:01).  I've tried several different types of plans (high mileage, lower mileage, etc).  My recent 10k is 51:30 and 5k is 25:03.  Any specific workouts I should be focusing on?  Thank you!

npaden

When you say high mileage plans what kind of mileage are you talking about?

I think building your aerobic base is the critical component of long distance running.  Lots of easy miles.

The standard quote that folks around here use goes something like this.  "Run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast".

Well higher for me - means topped out at 55 mpw and ran several weeks in the high 40's.   I feel best when I top out around 40 and run most weeks in the mid 30's.  I also feel like I perform better when I add in speedwork as opposed to running mostly easy miles.  I know it's different for everyone - but what kinda of mileage is sufficient to run sub 2:00?   Also, if I'm this close to running it - would many more miles be necessary?

npaden

That's enough in my opinion.  I was just asking because sometimes folks say they are running a lot of mileage and you ask them and they are running 15 miles per week or something like that.  55 mpw for a half is plenty of mileage to me.  More than I ran when I went sub 2.

Not sure what to offer up. Are age and weight a factor?  Some of the calculators say that you can gain 15 seconds per mile for every 10lbs you lose.

npaden

Another thought could be that you are working yourself too hard and not getting good enough recovery time and running your easy runs too fast.  Also getting a good taper before the race is important.  For me the weather conditions on race day play a big part, maybe + or - 5 or 6 minutes based on ideal vs. crappy conditions for a half marathon.

Thanks!  All good advice.  I'm still young (28) and although I'm a heavier runner - I'm still within the healthy range for my height (although on the higher end) so I'm working to lose a few lbs and just eating better (more veggies).  I think it might purely be a mental thing and a pacing problem.  I think I might join a pace group on my next attempt - in 10 weeks!

JDoody7 - welcome. Judging by your 10K pace (if it is recent) HM under 2 should be well within your reach. I know we are all different, but my 10K best is 51:56 and my HM best 1:53:30. With the mileage you are doing, the endurance should be there as well, unless you sprad out the mileage evenly between your runs and don't do a long run.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Jan26.2

JDoody - I also think a sub 2 is definitely within your reach. You're so close with the 2:01. Npaden makes some good points, and it could be any one of those things he mentioned. My first half was 2:01, and my next was 1:58. I wasn't running particularly high mileage either time, probably around 30-35 mpw. When I went sub 2 I remember concentrating on pacing a bit more, and wasn't afraid to pick it up in the last couple miles. My PR came last fall towards the end of marathon training, so I'm a believer in more miles, even if they're slower, making a difference.

MegRuns - My first inclination aligns with what npaden suggested - running the 10k as a true race to get an idea of pacing for the next half. But, if you really want to run the half go for it, and see what you can do, making adjustments as you go.

Nathan - Only 4 months from this weekend until your marathon! How the training coming along?

2ft - How did the 14 miler feel after your PR the previous day? I'll bet you had some tired legs!

docjen - Great mileage week! You seem to have a way of getting in your mileage, in spite of your crazy work schedule. My crystal ball shows a huge PR for you in this marathon. You're on a roll.

miele - Woohoo! Only 5 days till your very last marathon! My crystal ball shows a PR for you too - I'm predicting 3:55-ish. Be careful in the gym - you don't want to hurt anything.

me - Finally got outside on Sunday for a 6 miler. I actually think the treadmill running, with the faster paces and inclines, helped make me stronger. It was a great run, and I had no problem transitioning back to the road. That's good, cause our weather is getting windy/icy again. Only 13 days till the half - I can't wait to feel some warm Phoenix sunshine. I hope it'll be warm, but hey, it's gotta be better than here!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

FlatFT.runner

Another one here trying to go sub 2 hr., I have come as close as 2:00:09, about 5-6 years ago and still have not been there. I have never really trained for the half like the full with a good training program so for my spring half in April I'm using Pfitz, 12/55 marathon plan for my half. The only time I actually made sub2 hr. on the half was the 1st half of the Columbus marathon back in 2010. The split for the half was 1:57 and change. So this year I decided to give it a try using the marathon training plan.A few of you have been talking about more easy miles and just higher mileage weeks and that holds very true for me. Anyway just wanted to say heh, and will be checking in regularly.

Thanks for all the advice!  I'm going to stick around here if you don't mind - thanks!!

juniordo1

Count me in for the sub 2:00 HM goal. I've only been running a few years but I definitely love the HM distance. My HM marathon PR puts a much bigger smile on my face than my marathon finish.

My last HM was 2:03:46 (PR).  I went out very conservatively for the 1st 5 miles and then went for broke on a day when I didn't really feel like I had a PR in me. My current PR was achieved 4 months post-marathon. My previous PR, 2:05:16, was achieved during marathon training.

I'm just starting back from a PF/Heel issue and my goal race isn't until August so I have plenty of time to work on it.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Zelanie

Hi Junior!  Good luck coming back and feeling strong again!

FlatFT, JDoody- Hiya!  No real advice since I'm very new myself but I look forward to seeing your training!

me- Got my 7-mile MLR done tonight.  Went out after dark with the knuckle lights and it went pretty well- I could tell my last few days have been easier than usual because I had to make an effort to keep my pace reeled in.  Trying my first V02Max intervals tomorrow so I want to be fresh!