Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

hectortrojan

TaraC – good luck with your race this Sunday. I am sure that you will forget all worries at starting line and would have a great race.

stever1966 – its interesting that you are doing a HM training plan without target race. Seems like you love running with training plan than just running. Is that the reason?

Miele – nope. I didn’t say yes to running HM. Instead we went to watch my six year old newphe’s soccer game on that day. He was feeling pressure as there were about a dozen family members watching him play. He scored a goal and played very well. While watching Badwater documentary I thought I would love to run it one day. But later on I realized that I got injured training for HM and there is no point thinking about it!

Congratulations in winning the race. That’s awesome! Never say never. You never know!

Lurch – congratulations in losing more weight! I go running on embarcadero in San Francisco on weekdays these days. It’s hard not to run seeing so many people run in SF all the time

Bluerun – congratulations on running the race! Your answer to # of pairs of running shows on runnersworld make me very jealous of youSmile

Zelanie – try not to think too much about pace while running specially compare to your last training. Try enjoy running. With discipline and running regularly, you will get only faster in years to come.

Jan26.2 – have fun at your turkey trot

Two-Foot-Shuffle – it’s exciting that you are going for PR for shorter distance races in near future.

Me –  had another week of total 2 hour running last week.

TaraC – good luck with your race this Sunday. I am sure that you will forget all worries at starting line and would have a great race.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The IMHM is less than 2 days away, we're gonna see if I've got what it takes to get a sub 2 hour finish Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bluerun

Super B****

Lurch -- there was no tape!!  But figuratively, yes... you definitely could.  I'm just good at cherry picking races like this.

miele -- I dumped it on a bookshelf.  I have no idea what to do with it, it's enormous... it's bigger than my face!  If my Garmins were flaking out, I'd go for the 620.  I want it BADLY.  But hard to justify that when I've got two perfectly functional GPS watches.  And, YAY!!  You won a race too!!  Congrats!

stever -- never say never!

Tara -- injury and me... we get along like a house on fire.  Yes, I'm pretty much the most injury-plagued person out there.  And believe it or not, this is actually an IMPROVEMENT from a couple of years back.  I only wish to find out what I could do if I weren't always falling apart at the seams.  Good luck on Sunday, I'm sure you'll do great!

hector -- don't hate me, but, um... I am newly in possession of a pair of Universe 5s.  I HAVE  A PROBLEM!!

me -- my shin hurts.  That is all I have to say about that.  (I saw my PT today, he says he doesn't think it's a fracture.  I don't either, really, but it does hurt, and with my history it's not exactly outlandish for me to freak out that it's a fracture, is it?!)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

npaden

Miele and Blue - HUGE congrats on winning your races!!

I did end up crossing the 100 mile mark yesterday to keep my streak alive at 19 months at 100+ miles.

A couple interesting thoughts on this month, my average pace for 109.1 miles run was 8:56 which includes a lot of easy running and some faster stuff.  That's actually faster than my goal pace for my first half marathon (sub 2 hours) right at a year and a half ago.

This evening I was running late so I ran a little faster to get in some decent mileage before heading out to treat or treat with my son and ran 4.45 miles at a 7:34 pace.  A year ago that would have been race pace for me, but now that's just a straightforward tempo type run.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

doctorjen

Just a quick pop in.

Edith - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm glad you have some support with your brother. Take it easy on yourself.

FreeSoul - you ready to do this tomorrow?  I'll think of you out there!

Tara - good luck to you too out there Sunday!

me - indianapolis Monumental in the morning. Eek.

miele

Godzilla

stever-  I understand following a plan even without a goal race.  I like the structure of it.  Hope the knee continues to get better and better.

Tara-  Sheesh, you and Zelanie need to start a support group.  Oh, wait, we're your support group!  You're going to do great!  I can feel it!  Maybe drink some calming herbal tea?  Put on some Zen Buddhist background music, light some incense and take a hot bath.  That should be relaxing.  Good luck on Sunday!  And do not forget to put your clock back Sat. night!

hector-  Your nephew's soccer game sounds a lot more pleasant than the torture we put ourselves through when running a race.   Maybe your nephew has a career as a soccer star in his future.  Did you see where Beckham is starting up his own team in Miami?

Free-  Good luck  tomorrow!!!  Don't forget to have fun!  Say hi to doc if you see her!

blue-  Yeah, that 620 is really nice.  I just hate spending that kind of money.  I found out that the 220s will show current pace so that might be an option for me.  (why the 210s didn't I have no idea.  Seems like a basic function to have.)  Everyone seems to love the 310 but it's just so huge.  But cheaper.  After hector outed your shoe obsession I had to scoot over to RW to check it out.  I'm impressed.  Very impressed.

Nathan-  Nice tempot!  And well done getting in your 100.  I have a Hansons question for you.  I've been running my tempos as out and backs from the head of a trail (not a rocks, mud and tree trail but one with asphalt.  They just call it a trail) which means 4-5 miles gradual uphill all the way then I turn around and have the downhill.  I've picked a GP of 8:52 (which might be too ambitious but I'm thinking of factoring in the tangents and that it might be a 26.4 mile race).  So going uphill I run about 9mm and downhill I run 8:44 averaging 8:52 overall.  It just occurred to me that I might be missing the whole point of 'locking' into goal pace.  What do you think?  I'm not too worked up about it since it's still a good run but I'm thinking I won't be able to automatically hit GP like I'm supposed to on the day.

doc-  I'm so excited for your big day!!  Good luck tomorrow!  Can't wait to hear all the details.

me-  My run yesterday was especially tough.  Ran 13 w/9 @GP(8:52 average).  I ate something that gave me heartburn/indigestion which kicked in the last few miles.  I had to lay down afterwards and I skipped the gym.  Blech.  But it's done.  I recovered in time to go buy a bunch of candy.  Then I ate a bunch of candy.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Almost forgot your 5k tomorrow.  Don't know how that happened.  Enjoy the race and good luck!!!

Zelanie

It's going to be an exciting weekend around here! Tara, Jan, Jen, FreeSoul, good luck!

Me- Thanks for talking me down last week. Smile I think it was just a random bad run. Tonight I ran my first 15 miler, and it was great.  Had a really good time, even with a surprise hill in mile 6. Was feeling so much better that today's 15.1 took only 5 minutes longer than last week's 14.1, hehe.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

!!!!!!!!! I got under 2 hours!!!!!!!!

DH said he got a text saying I crossed the finish at 1:56:38!!!!!!!! But I will wait until I get official results!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  Great run!  I know bad runs can get us all down but, really, they do happen and for no apparent reason.  Way to bounce back and kill the 15 miler!

Free-  Wow!  Congratulations on a great race!  You're almost 10 minutes faster than the original goal you posted in your sig line!  Fantastic!

I'm going to be checking out this thread constantly till all of our racers report in.  Can't wait to hear everything!

Jan26.2

Happy November Everyone!

miele and blue - Big grin Major, major congrats for winning your races. Fantastic runs.

hector - Hi! I'm way behind on this thread so I don't know if your 2 hrs. of running is by choice or by injury. Choice I hope!

Free - Way to go on your your sub 2. Time for some celebrating.

blue - Are you going to have an MRI on the shin? Fingers crossed it's not a fracture!

Nathan - Congrats on the streak! 19 mos. and 100+ miles is freaking awesome.

docjen - Good luck with the Monumental race!! Can't wait to read the RR, cause I know it's going to be amazing.

miele - Nice 13 miler! Sorry about the stomach - it sucks when that happens, especially when you're not sure what caused it. Candy is usually a pretty good cure - so is wine. Cool

Zelanie - I'm so glad the 15 miler was a good one. Bad runs happen, but they sure mess with our minds when they do.

Me - The 5k was cold and windy! I got 1st in my AG, finish time 24:30, avg. pace 7:53. Not by best finish time, but I'll take it. I looked back in my logs and the last time I raced (or ran) a 5k was 3 years ago. Today I really tried to work on pacing and not feeling like dog crap at the end, and I think I figured out some things that will help. This course isn't my favorite - out and back, with the back being uphill and straight into the wind today. The best part was out sprinting a guy 10 years younger than me about a block from the finish. It was nice running a shorter race instead of the halves I've been doing forever. I think this winter/spring I'll work on my 5 and 10k speed and see what I can do. At least now I have a baseline to start from.

I'll be back later to check on the other racers.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Big grin I'd celebrate if I had anything left, lol. It took a lot out of me, but my legs, my body gave their best and now I am going to enjoy the weekend and take it easy Smile . I should have my RR up at some point this evening.

PRs

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Very nice 5k!  Congrats!  And 1st AG, too!  Way to show those whippersnappers how to finish a race!  How did the DH do?  I'm thinking along the same lines as far as focusing on shorter races next year.  (although DH reminded me that I might do Newport next year so there is that)  Oh, and wine and candy helped immensely.

Free-  Great RR!  I don't know how you pulled it off with so little sleep.  And all that hydration.  Well done!

Still waiting for doc to check in.......

Jan26.2

miele- DH got a 22:22 and 2nd in his AG. His first mile was a 6:30, which was way too fast and he felt the pain of a 5k way too soon. And that's one of the reasons I refuse to run with him in a 5 or 10k. Joking

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

bluerun

Super B****

npaden -- it's always nice to be able to see progress like that, isn't it?!

miele -- well, since I am seriously plotting out ways to somehow be able to afford my own AlterG... I guess blowing a few hundred bucks on another Garmin seems like pennies in comparison!  (Seriously, I need an AlterG.  For my mental state, if nothing else.)

Zelanie -- now, don't you appreciate it more with the little sucky stretch behind you??

Jan -- IDK... I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday, so I guess I'll bring it up with her.  Easier than dragging my butt out to my sports doc, anyway.  Congrats on winning your AG!

me -- still not sure what to do about running tomorrow... I'm thinking I will stick to the trainer in the morning, then I have to go out to cheer some friends in NYCM, which is actually not something I want to do when I am injured.  Some people like to stay in the running loop; I'm not one of them.  I get suicidal enough, rubbing my face in what I can't have does not help matters!  But whatever.  After that, I guess I could try a run, but if it is a fracture, that would only make things worse.  And this, my friends, is why I need my own AlterG -- even if it doesn't really have a training effect to be running at 20% of your body weight, it has a huge mental effect for me.  Some people feel crappy, go out for a run, and feel better.  I have a useless excuse of a body so that isn't an option for me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog