Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Nice wins Miele and blue and Jan for AG win  great runs and inspiring too!

I look forward to seeing some more race results tomorrow.  I am probably running a 15 miler tomorrow. I have about 7 weeks until marathon day so I need to stay up there in the high mile runs. I was doing the 20 mile long runs  and took that 6 day break and so 15 should be a smooth comeback distance. Then work my way back up to 22-24 before marathon time.  I am still hanging around 7:45 as my overall long distance pace,  I am hoping I can take that in to the marathon and pump out a 3:20something.  We will see Smile  until next time run fast and take care everyone!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

doctorjen

Jan - Excellent age group win, especially with hills and wind at the end!

FreeSoul - already said it on your RR, but congrats!  Way to smash that 2 hour mark!

Sorry for the delayed check in.  My race was at 8 am today, and I had a 2:29 flight out, so it's been a crazy travel day.  Made it home, had a delayed but much appreciated shower, and now chocolate and wine, so it's all good.

Short version?  Not sure how, but I pulled it off!  Boston qualifying time of 3:42:49, an almost 8 minute PR!  Long (emphasis on long) version ahead:

Indianapolis Monumental Race Report

After running a 3:50:37 in April, I felt like maybe I had an outside chance at a Boston Qualifier of sub-3:45 with enough training and just the right race.  I did another cycle of Pfitz 18/55, with some extra miles thrown in.  Between my kids’ schedules and my work call schedule, I don’t get the opportunity to race as much as I want, and the only half marathon I could fit in my schedule was 7 weeks before my goal race.  Unfortunately, it was hot, humid, and hilly, and I had a really off day and finished 7 minutes over my goal time.  So I had nothing to point to the possibility of a BQ.  Not so hot for the confidence.  The week after that I had some great workouts, and decided to give it a go anyway.  I picked Indianapolis Monumental, because it’s fast and flat, and I could use frequent flyer miles to get there.

But, today shaped up to be a perfect day to race.  Low 40s at the start, rising to the high 40s by the finish.  Partly cloudy, wind in the 6-8 mph range and at our backs for the finishing miles.  So, I figured what the heck?  Let’s go after it.

I had asked at the expo about being moved to a seeded corral, which were based just on estimated finishing time, but they told me my estimate was too slow :-P   After a great night’s sleep (weird for me in a hotel), and breakfast of a bottle of water and a granola.  I took an extra gel with me to eat just before the start.   I arrived to the start with plenty of time to get to gear check and the port-a-potty, and get my gel down before heading to the start.  I walked to the first unseeded area just as the pacers were arriving, and all of them up to the 4 hour pacer lined up in the seeded corrals!  I thought about it for a few minutes, and then ducked under the rope and moved into the corral near the 3:50 pacer, as did a bunch of other folks.  I had a really tight schedule to get to the airport after the race, and I didn’t want to start too far back!  There were a bunch of announcements, and the national anthem, and we were off!

I concentrated on keeping the initial pace easy, and going out a little over goal pace.  The 3:50 pacers took off in a big hurry, and I actually was behind them the first 3 miles.  At mile 1, there was a volunteer clapping and calling out “You’re almost there!  Just around the corner!  Keep it up!” and everyone was laughing as we rounded a corner.  Right after that, was a guy with a microphone preaching on a corner.  Weird.  I kept looking at those 3:50 pacers, but also at my Garmin, and I just kept repeating “Run your own race.”  A guy at the 3rd mile marker was calling out “Be patient!” and that helped a lot.  Miles 1,2,3 – 9:02,8:34, 8:24 (little quick.)

The next few miles were still pretty crowded, as the half didn’t split off until mile 7.  There was a lot of jostling at the aid stations.  I ran a big part of this section behind a group of guys who were cracking me up, generally making fun of each other, telling stories, and being inappropriate.  It was hard to get clear running space, but I didn’t want to waste energy going around people, so I hung behind the group and hoped I’d make it up later. I took my first gel on schedule at the mile 5 aid station.  Passed the first timing mat at the 10K, and thought about all my friends at home getting the first text update.  Miles 4,5,6,7 – 8:35, 8:44, 8:26, 8:21.

Mile 8 featured a little incline, which was actually a welcome change.  Plus, the half-ers had split off, and the road cleared out considerably, giving me free running area.  I was still feeling surprisingly well, and not working too hard from a cardiovascular standpoint.  I took my 2nd gel on schedule just before the 10 mile mark.  It was a little easier getting through the aid stations once the half marathoners turned off.  I was hoping to find a group, or even just another person running about the same pace, but it seemed like everyone was going either a little slower or a little faster than me, so I just kept hitting my lap button at each mile marker and checking my pace band.  Miles 8,9,10,11,12 – 8:19, 8:25, 8;34, 8:27, 8:24.

During mile 13, I caught up to a man running with a bright yellow shirt that said “Under 4 for my 4” and had the handprints of his 4 children on it.   He was chatting with a woman, and somehow we all 3 started chatting.  The other lady turned out to be a Jen, also.  Yellow shirt guy hung with us another mile, and then said he was going to back off the pace a little bit and he wished us well.  The other Jen and I continued on together.  She would turn out to be my lifesaver.  We chatted along and the miles seemed to cruise by faster than ever.  I hit the half a little faster than the 1:52:30 ish I’d planned, and had a moment’s worry, but I was feeling pretty good and had company, so I just kept chugging along.  The only hills of the race were during 16-17, but there were also screaming Butler students and lots of spectators. 3rd gel just after mile 15.  Miles 13,14,15,16,17 – 8:24,8:10,8:21,8:32,8:27.

At mile 18 we turned briefly onto an asphalt path.  I had a little bit of anxiety here.  My last marathon had a long section on a path just like that, with a complete 180 tight turn around at 19.5 miles, and that was about when my wheels fell off.  Turns out this was just a short section, with no crazy turns.  Following that was a kind of lonely couple of miles, and I was really grateful now for Jen’s company.  I remember miles 16-21 generally being the hardest miles, but this time, although I wasn’t exactly comfortable, I was hanging in there and passing people right and left.   I was happy to take my last gel at 20ish miles.  I still had one extra if I needed it, but I was feeling a little sloshy.  Miles 18,19,20,21,22 – 8:24,8:13,8:19,8:19,8:22

Shortly before mile 23, I was really starting to feel the cumulative miles.  Jen was feeling pretty good (did I mention she did a full ironman 8 weeks ago?) and she started to pull ahead a little bit.  Not gonna lie, I was starting to hurt, but I also knew I was so close to making it.  Mile 23 was ok, but I was really starting to work by mile 24.  In my disastrous “tune up” half, I joked that my inner dialogue was all profanity the last few miles.  This time, there was a little profanity, but it was mostly “just effing hang on!”  I was trying like crazy to do the math at every mile split, and I was pretty sure I was still on pace. Miles 23,24,25 – 8:27,8:45,9:01 (the only mile except the first over 9.)

And then, there was the mile 25 mile marker.  Only 1.2 miles to go!  I couldn’t exactly pick it up, but I thought I hang on.  When I hit the mile 26 marker, I started to get choked up and had to keep reminding myself to just keep it together a little longer!  The last 0.2, the streets were lined with screaming spectators and we turned a final corner at 26.1, and I could see the finish line ahead.  I made an attempt to smile for the finish camera, but I’m not sure it came off!  Mile 26 – 8:45, and the last 0.2 at 7:56 pace!  I was so emotional at the finish.  The second I stopped, I hurt absolutely everywhere, but I knew I’d done it.  I think I was doing the ugly cry.  Several volunteers asked me if I needed medical, but I really just needed psychiatric!  I’d hit my Garmin at 3:42:51, official time would turn out to be 3:42:49!  The other Jen was waiting just after the finish and came back to hug me.  She BQ'd as well, and promised to look for me in 2015 if we make it.  A second half negative split (1:51:41/1:51:08).  I couldn’t ask for a better race and the BQ time was the icing on the cake!

npaden

Wow Jen, that's AWESOME!!  Congrats!

Big congrats to you too Free going sub 2 in a big way.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

WoooooooHoooooooooo!  Doc, you did it!  What a great race!  I started tearing up, too, at the end of your RR.  All that hard work paid off.  I'd say you did an excellent job pacing with that slight negative split.  I don't want to jinx it or anything but I'm pretty sure a BQ-2:11 will get you in.  Now celebrate like a rock star!!!!  I'm celebrating with you in spirit.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Jan26.2

Big grinBig grinBig grinCool Docjen - Amazing race! I don't know how it could have been any more perfect. Congrats on the BQ and the PR. I'm sooo happy for you.

wolf - I think a 15 miler is a good start for returning to higher mileage long runs. A 7:45 long distance pace is outstanding, btw.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

How you full marathoners can run that distance just blows my mind, I'm ready to puke my guts out and collapse by 13.1 miles....... I can't imagine forging on for another 13.1 miles, it's just amazing Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

pcaharrier

Congratulations to Jen on the BQ and PR and to all of our other AG-winners, race-winners, barrier-breakers, and goal-getters!

Without any prompting from me DW decided to pick up running and headed out for Day 1 of the Couch-to-5k program this morning after I got back from my morning run.  I think she just might be hooked. Big grin

I'm in full taper mode now for the Outer Banks Marathon on Sunday.  I guess all I can do now is take it easy and rely on all the training I've done since July.  The forecast looks pretty good right now: calling for clear and mid-50s around start time, with highs only supposed to reach the mid-60s.

Hi all - just a quick check-in.  I managed to run a 5 sec PR on a hilly course - finished in 1:35:26 - I went out too fast and forgot to start my garmin - - but overall I am damn proud of my race.  9th over all (all women race) and 2nd in my age group.

Back later -

Ready, go.

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Yeah, I think you're wise not to run with your DH in those shorter races.  Sounds like he paces about like I do (i.e. like crap).  Congrats to him, as well.

blue-  How much do those AlterGs cost?  Wouldn't it be nice if your insurance covered it?  It's for your mental and physical well-being, after all.  I've decided on the Garmin 220 should I need to get a new watch.  It's got more than enough features for me.  The 620 has too much going on.  I'd never use half the features anyway.  See, I just saved myself $150!

Wolfy-  How was your 15 miler?  I hope it went well.  Your body probably appreciated a little break.  I have no doubt you can pull off a sub-3:20.

doc-  How's the recovery going?  I bet you're still on Cloud 9!

pc-  You feeling ready for the big day?  How do you feel about your training?  I guess one of the nice things about the short Hanson taper is that you don't have three looooooong weeks to sit and think about the upcoming race.  It's fantastic that your DW has taken up the challenge!  Now she can celebrate successes, agonize over bad runs, stress out on race day, obsess about injuries, enjoy (running) shoe shopping, etc. like the rest of us.  She's going to do great.  Fingers crossed the weather holds for your race!

Tara-  Congrats on an excellent race and new PR!!!!  So many fast ladies where you are.  Now that I think about it, I've never forgotten to start my watch but I frequently forget to stop it.

So many great races this past weekend!  You all should be so proud of yourselves!

me-  Ran 18 miles yesterday.  My legs were feeling kind of tired and heavy before I left so I thought I would take it nice and slow.  Apparently my legs perked up because I ended up with a 9:32 pace.  Hansons' pace for me should be 9:38.  I don't like running my LRs too fast but at the same time I was pleasantly surprised I could hold that pace with my legs feeling like they did. The last few miles were tough but I actually felt pretty good after the run.  Dare I say I've never felt that good after a long run.  That put me at 74 for the week.  A new mileage PR for me.  Today and easy 6 and tonight an easy 4 with the group.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

pcaharrier

pc-  You feeling ready for the big day?  How do you feel about your training?  I guess one of the nice things about the short Hanson taper is that you don't have three looooooong weeks to sit and think about the upcoming race.  It's fantastic that your DW has taken up the challenge!  Now she can celebrate successes, agonize over bad runs, stress out on race day, obsess about injuries, enjoy (running) shoe shopping, etc. like the rest of us.  She's going to do great.  Fingers crossed the weather holds for your race!

. . .

me-  Ran 18 miles yesterday.  My legs were feeling kind of tired and heavy before I left so I thought I would take it nice and slow.  Apparently my legs perked up because I ended up with a 9:32 pace.  Hansons' pace for me should be 9:38.  I don't like running my LRs too fast but at the same time I was pleasantly surprised I could hold that pace with my legs feeling like they did. The last few miles were tough but I actually felt pretty good after the run.  Dare I say I've never felt that good after a long run.  That put me at 74 for the week.  A new mileage PR for me.  Today and easy 6 and tonight an easy 4 with the group.

I actually feel pretty good, but I'm trying not to get overconfident.  I keep telling myself "Remember to take it easy at the start.  Respect the distance.  You have to take gels regularly", and hopefully all of that will translate into a good race.  On my last 16-miler I was very happy to be able to finish the last three miles in splits of 7:55, 7:41, and (gasp!) 6:59 (at least according to Runkeeper that's what the splits were).  I hope that having that much left in the tank at the end of a long run is a sign of good things to come.

Congrats on pushing through the long run at a good pace and setting that mileage PR.  Doing what you did on tired legs is (as I understand it) the entire point of the Hansons method.  It sounds like you're tracking really well with where you should be.  Good luck with the rest of your training.

You Rang?

Miele – Congratulations on breaking the tape!

Stever1966 – Interesting that you have chosen to run with a plan over the winter.  I find that when I’m not on a formal training plan, the snooze bar on the alarm clock gets an awful lot of use.  I’m both loving and hating the plan I’ve got now (Pfitz’s Marathon 18/55).  I love the structure.  I hate all the freaking miles.

TaraC – I’m training for the Walt Disney World Marathon in Orlando in January.  I’m a huge runDisney fan although in 2014 I will run more non-rD events than rD event.  RunDisney is a very very expensive habit.  The weight loss is kinda just happening.  I have not adjusted my diet all that much.  I’m just running marathon level training miles.  Congratulations on the 5 second PR!  I also forget to turn my Garmin off at the finish line.

Hetortrojan – This last trip to San Francisco was for less than a day.  I flew in, took the test and flew home.  I was in the city for a week in June and ran from my hotel at Union Square to the Embarcadero to Fisherman’s wharf every morning.  I think every runner in the city was there.  It also happens to be the flattest piece of earth in the city.  On Saturday Morning I took the cable car up to Ft. Mason and ran the Golden Gate Bridge.  That was incredible and is something every runner should do.

Bluerun – I hope your shin feel better.  I know that you are an injury magnet and hope that this one is a quick/simple fix.

FreeSoul87 – Welcome to the Sub 2 club!

Jan26.2 – Congrats on the AG award!  24:30 is nothing to sneeze at.

Doctorjen – congratulations on the 8 minute PR and BQ.  I’d like to BQ someday, but right now looking at the state of my physical condition, I’ll be happy with crossing the finish line of my first marathon.

Me – I’ve got another week of marathon training behind me.  This week included my first 20 mile run.  I normally save the self-doubt and self-loathing (in the form of “What the $%*@ are you doing here?)  for the starting corral of the race.  I was seriously questioning my sanity last night when I came back from running 20 miles straight.  I suppose this is all part of building the mental toughness of running a marathon.  Mickey Marathon in 69 days, but who’s counting?

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Smile It's an awesome feeling to be in this club too!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

hectortrojan

Lurch – I know what you mean by flattest piece on the earth. I run 4-5 miles on embarcadero and total elevation gain is still not 20 feet. On the contrast, if you just go quarter mile from the fisherman Warf away from the water, you can have all the hills you want. Its awesome that you had 20 mile long run two months before your marathon.  I am sure that I must feel great to do well in training.

Miele – great job in running 18 miles at target pace on tired legs.

Yeah, my brother in law played professional soccer for a while. Maybe that is inspiring my nephew! Wow, it’s interesting that Beckham is starting his own team.

TaraC – congratulations on running super quick half marathon on the hilly course!

Doctorjen – congratulations on running an excellent race and qualifying for Boston marathon! Your hard work paid offJ

Jan26.2 – my 2 hrs a week of running is by choice.  I am just taking it easy for now. Congratulations on coming 1st in your AG in the race. Its great to see that so many runners are running excellent races!

FreeSoul87 – congratulations in running sub 2:00 half!

Zelanie – congratulations on running your first 15 milers. I bet that it must feel great!

Bluerun – I don’t know what to say about you and your shoesJ I am getting Altra Torin today and excited about it.

Me - We had a couple of friends over for the weekend and trail running didn't happen. Had another 2 hr/week running. Since May, all of my street running is easy. I had one hard run last week and it felt great. For last couple of years a friend of ours organize 5k on the weekend after thanksgiving: 6-8 friends running 5k around the lake. We are doing it again this year and I think I would run it around 7:40 min/mile at current fitness.

docjen-what can I say but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is amazing, and a BQ as well. Wow.

free-congrats on making it under 2!  That alone is such a great feeling. As for FM, it's only a matter of time before you do one as well. It took me 3 HM before I did my first FM.

me-keeping up with my race-free training plan. Weather is getting cooler, frost in the morning, but just ideal for running. I ran a nice, cool 13.5k on Sunday, and it felt so good. Both knees were painless for the first time since September.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                              2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Jen = Congrats on the BQ!!  so awesome and to me it is achieving a huge accomplishment Smile

Tara- excellent hm time !!  So fast !!!!!!!! Congrats on the PR too always nice

Miele - That is an incredible weekly amount lol  I have never even made it to 50 before.  Maybe next training cycle...

Lurch- You made it to the 20 mile mark. the training has just begun hehe

Me- Ended the week with a 15 miler.  (1hour54minutes)=7.35pace.  My splits were kind of all over the place during the run.  I have several stoplights to wait on so a lot of my times were 7:20 7:55 7:20 7:55 etc..  I also took little 10-15second walk sessions every few miles to rest. It has helped keep my heart rate stable I think and I feel better doing that sometimes instead of just plodding along and never slowing down. I passed the half mara point at 1hr 40 mins, I was pleased with that. Anyways I will do a 17.2 mile this weekend and hopefully end the week around 42 miles.  Happy running everyone!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34