Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

npaden

Sounds like you made a good choice to me.

It is frustrating that you spend all that time and effort to be held at the mercy of the weather gods on race day.  From a full on tropical storm on your last marathon to 70+ degrees and 90%+ humidity on this one, the weather gods haven't been very kind to you.

They need to come up with weather equivalent race times so we can feel better about ourselves when the weather sucks on a goal race day.

Hope you still had a good time and I sure you will have fun just running some shorter races this year!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Jan26.2

miele - Excellent choice to do the half! Nathan is right about the weather gods - what on earth did you do to them? For having dead legs, you had a great finish time in the half. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Hello to everyone else. There's been some good running going on in here! Yesterday our temp with wind chill was -34, and our high was -15. I can't wait to leave for Phoenix on Friday!!!!! I'm really curious to see how this "race" will go. I've run outside exactly twice in the past 8 weeks. Oh well, running in the warm sun while looking at the palm trees will be worth it. I got the final results of the 3 half marathon series I did (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years) and placed 6th female overall. DH was 9th male overall. I don't know if we get more bling for that or not.

Happy running to all!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

bluerun

Super B****

Jumping in here and hoping not to jinx myself, since the last time I joined a sub-2:00 HM thread it did not end well, to put it mildly!  That finish time was 3:59:18, and I came home with five stress fractures as souvenirs.  That was in September 2011, and I'm finally ready to give it another shot.

I'm pretty sure I'd have no problem running sub-2:00 on a flat or moderately hilly course, since I just did a 10 mile race this past weekend (that I wasn't supposed to be racing, but oh well) in 1:21:32.  But the half I am doing is not moderately hilly, or even very hilly.  It's insanely hilly.

I am kind of terrified of that.  I have no idea what to expect time-wise, but I really want to finish in under 1:59:39 (that's exactly half of 3:59:18, so it's not a completely random number).  It would be nice if there was some sort of formula that you could use to figure out how much hills will slow you down!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

npaden

I ran a fairly hilly half back in November and stressed about it pretty good.  There are some calculators that can help you figure out approximately how much time the hills will set you back, but each person is a little different.

Here's an article I found on hills when I was doing my stressing. http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=10507

It says the average person slows 3.3% for every 1% increase in the slope. So on my race there were some hills with a 12% incline that would slow me 40% from an 8:30 pace to almost a 12:00 pace.

It also says you don't get the same recovery on a downhill but only 55% of that. That would give me a 22% increase in speed going down the same hills from an 8:30 pace to a 6:40 pace. That's pretty smoking on the downhill though.

When it was all said and done, the weather on race day affected me more than the hills did.  It ended up warm and very windy and with the hills added in it slowed me down pretty good.  Still got a PR, but only by about a minute and I was expecting to knock about 6 minutes off.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bluerun

Super B****

The link to that article is dead, apparently... I did find this, though

http://jap.physiology.org/content/93/3/1039.full

Now I actually have to, you know, read it.  Math and I just don't get along, so I'm not a fan of all these complicated formulas!

I'm thinking it might actually be more efficient to just roll downhill... probably faster, and my legs won't hate it.  (Yes, I'm joking.  I think.)

chasing the impossible

Luke79

Hi Blue Smile

miele

Godzilla

Jan-  Just wanted to wish you luck this weekend!  Have a great time (and enjoy some quality time with SIL...teeeheee)!

Hi to all!  Seriously, I intend to get back into posting but I haven't been feeling well this week.  Hoping to be back up to speed soon.  Until then, keep running!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

bluerun

Super B****

Oh, hey, Luke... fancy meeting you here!

chasing the impossible

npaden

Jan - good luck on your race this weekend!  I hope conditions are perfect for you.

Bluerun - I forgot to say welcome to the group, so... Welcome to the group!

Me - getting in some good miles this week.  If I stick to my plan I will set my personal best for mileage in a week with over 47 miles this week.  This will be the first of many weekly mileage records if I stick to the plan I top out at 63 miles a couple different weeks in March.

Did a marathon pace run on my way back from Tucson yesterday, 6 miles at marathon pace with 1 mile warmup and 1 mile cool down.  I had a spot picked out where I had wanted to run before I left on my trip, but it was pretty windy there and I checked the weather and it wasn't windy 300 miles up the road so I waited and the weather was just about perfect for my run.  Just pulled off at a historical marker on the White Sands Missle Range and knocked out my run on the shoulder of Highway 70 and then got back in the car and drove the 5 hours that I had left to get home.  Got in just after midnight.  I kind of get a kick out of wondering what people are thinking when they see some dude out there running along the highway in the middle of absoulute nowhere! I was trying to make it to White Sands National Monument to run there (I ran there on a drive last year and it was really neat), but I was going to run out of daylight if I went any farther.  I probably should get me one of those flourescent orange vests for running along the highway like that.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Nathan

Great to find this forum.

HMs are my favorite distance races, tend to finish sub 2:00 on road and working on sub 2:00 on trails.

I am a trail runner at heart but races conflict with my hectic travel schedule so oftentimes, I have to settle for road courses, ugh!!

Training for another marathon, hope to finish sub 4:00 (PR: 4:10).

Not bad for a 52 yr old.

Favorite trail run so far was the 25K (15.5 miles) in AZ.  Tough, rocky, steep hill towards the end, with plenty of hills but exhilarating too!!

Hope to run the HM in St. Paul this month, brrrrr!!!

Stay safe and run safe everyone!

Hi All,

Been AWOL for a while due to work and Las Vegas break. Running is going well, with 2 40-45 miles weeks. Particularly pleased with a 5 mile tempo @8:21 and 150 AHR: that's down on my AHR for tempo runs, which was previously 154; I've been noticing at toher paces as well, my HR is going down, so I guess that is a good sign

I quickly read through all your posts, good to see there are more and more new posters, and good of course to see the "golden oldies" still around ;-)

Miele, sorry to hear about your Marathon, you really have had no luck with the weather on the last time. What are your plans now?

Jan: good luck on Pheonix Half. You may have the heat, but not the humidity

By the way, LV was freezing: temps in mid 20s, and wind chill in the teens. OK, it's now Wyoming, but you don't expect that at Vegas, even at this time of year.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

miele

Godzilla

blue-  5 stress fractures!?!?  Yikes.  I hope you're doing some hill training since you picked a race with a lot of vertical.

Nathan-  Nice running!  How're you liking the training plan?  Keep us updated on it.  I, for one, am very interested in your thoughts about the plan (not that I'm ever running another full, mind you).

Luke- Hi!

az-  Welcome!  What marathon are you training for and are you using a plan?

2ft-  Another Vegas trip?  Nice.  But chilly this time around.  Do you get ridiculously pleased when you see your HR improvements?  I know I do.  Speaking of HR, I ran 3x1600 yesterday and when I checked my HR afterwards I was surprised to see how high it had gotten.  Hadn't done regular speed work (blew up in my last attempt at the 1600s)  in a while but I definitely need to get back into it.  I have a 10k coming up next weekend.  I'm not expecting a PR.

me-  Managed to hold a sub-8 pace yesterday for my 3x1600s: 7:52. 7:57, 7:56.  Was pleased with it but also realized I had lost a lot of speed.  (A couple of months ago I ran the same intervals @ 7:35 with a lower HR)  Oh well.  Something to work on.

I checked the weather in Phoenix for Jan's HM and, yes, the high will be around 77 but when the race starts it's predicted to be around 47.  Two hours later it should be 59.  Perfect!  Fingers crossed it'll be as predicted.

Hi to everyone I missed on the previous pages!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Miele: yes, agree 100% about the satisfaction from seeing the HR go down. The Vegas trip was a present to my wife (Celine Dion, you remember?) I've been 4 time to Vegas now: first time was out of curiosity, just wanted to see it once, and said good, I've seen it, but won't go back again. Then my brother-in-law decided to get married there, and asked me to be the best man; then I had to go their for work; and now the present to DW. Given this track record, it would be bold to say I will never go there again, but I hope it won't be for a while. Can you believe I spent 4 days there, and didn't even put a quarter in a slot machine? If anyone does go in the future, I would recommend the Mob Museum in the old Downtown, I spent over 4 hours there, and could have spent more

Jan: look forward to your RR from Pheonix. It's going to feel insanely hot for you, I would imagine. Will be interesting to see how your body reacts.

AZ2, BlueRun: welcome!

Npaden: nice running! I just noticed your goal to run your age in a 10K. I'm just turned 48, but I still think that will be tough for me. Be happy to get in or under the 0:50s.

Me: 10 miles at MP of 9:10 and 150 HR. Was not feeling great from the start, and only ran 14 out of a total 16 planned. Can't really put a finger on the reason, just a off day. Maybe becasue I didn't do a recovery run after a 10m on Friday?In addition, the wind was tough on the second half. But I persevered and git in the 10 at MP (+1 sec) and that is the main thing.

Going to do a trail run tomorrow, will really take it easy.

Bought a pair of ASICS Nimbus on Saturday, will do my first run in them some time during the week.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

blue-  5 stress fractures!?!?  Yikes.  I hope you're doing some hill training since you picked a race with a lot of vertical.

Nathan-  Nice running!  How're you liking the training plan?  Keep us updated on it.  I, for one, am very interested in your thoughts about the plan (not that I'm ever running another full, mind you).

Luke- Hi!

az-  Welcome!  What marathon are you training for and are you using a plan?

2ft-  Another Vegas trip?  Nice.  But chilly this time around.  Do you get ridiculously pleased when you see your HR improvements?  I know I do.  Speaking of HR, I ran 3x1600 yesterday and when I checked my HR afterwards I was surprised to see how high it had gotten.  Hadn't done regular speed work (blew up in my last attempt at the 1600s)  in a while but I definitely need to get back into it.  I have a 10k coming up next weekend.  I'm not expecting a PR.

me-  Managed to hold a sub-8 pace yesterday for my 3x1600s: 7:52. 7:57, 7:56.  Was pleased with it but also realized I had lost a lot of speed.  (A couple of months ago I ran the same intervals @ 7:35 with a lower HR)  Oh well.  Something to work on.

I checked the weather in Phoenix for Jan's HM and, yes, the high will be around 77 but when the race starts it's predicted to be around 47.  Two hours later it should be 59.  Perfect!  Fingers crossed it'll be as predicted.

Hi to everyone I missed on the previous pages!

Hello to you too!  Very impressive times on your run!! You'll definitely do great in the AZ RnR event.  It's today right?  I've run the HM and FM there, temps were ideal and lots of cheering!!  So much better now since separating the HM and FM runners at the start making for shorter wave groups.

Not sure which marathon I will be running in but I am planning on a May event when I will be in the SW on business. But I am also planning on a second one for the year, would love it to be a TRAIL race.  Not sure when, it depends on my travel schedule possible late summer or early fall but I keep 'in training mode' throughout the year.  I have subscribed to the Galloway 'run, walk, run' plan for a few years (after turning 40, I'm 52 now) with some modifications and I have found it to be a life saver for my knees, lessens overall muscle fatigue and stress.  I tend to train on trails, limit my training on TM which tends to aggravate my shin splints so I use it for speed workout mainly.  Training on trails differ from road/pavement/track running.  I am not an 'elite' runner at all but I'm competitive enough to maintain consistent training and the trails challenge every fiber of my being, most specifically, state of mind.  I love the outdoors, the solitude of the mountains, and running up and down hills, jumping over mud puddles, focusing on every step over rocks, brush, etc.  I don't need music.  I stay pretty calm about races, guess it's because I have been running all my life.  There's always a race 'somewhere.'

doctorjen

I guess I've been a little AWOL, too. Just busy. I do read all the posts, but then run out of time to write one!

Cant wait to hear about Jan's half. I think that weather is fairly decent, although of course she's not acclimated.

Miele - I'm impressed you're back to speed work so soon. Although I guess youcan come back a little faster from a half than a full. Nice 3 x 1600. Did you do them on a track?

Nathan - I LOVE the pulling over and knocking out a run. How fantastic is that?  And yay for weekly mileage PRs!

2foot - I'm glad you're on the same schedule as me. It's fun to think about you doing the same workouts. Good job on the marathon pace miles.

Hello to the folks who have started postin since I was last here!

Me - made up for losing the streak and missing a long run last week with a solid week this week. Ended up with 58.2 miles. I did 16 today, with 10 at marathon pace. The first 2 were really hard, bu then I seemed to settle in to the pace. Ended up finishing the 10 in 1:24:49, or about 8:29 pace, with my target being 8:35 pace. I'll take it.