Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Hi everyone, took me a while to find my way here. Good to see everyone again. Hope you guys had a great holiday!

I got to go through and read the posts.

I started my HF training plan last week, and just came back from a wild-weather-blizzard 9K. And next week they forecast -30F weather almost all weak. Oh well, happy running everyone.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
    2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

bluerun

Super B****

Thanks for the welcomes Smile

It looks like most people do eventually get their sub-2:00!  Maybe I won't be able to get it on this crazy course, but that race kind of chose me instead of the other way around.  (I was going to do it last year, but I was between fractures, though I obviously didn't know about the "between" part at the time.)  If I can finish it running the whole way without getting hurt, I'll be happy.  But I'll be even happier if I get my sub-2:00.  Or should I say, my sub-1:59:39!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hi everyone, took me a while to find my way here. Good to see everyone again. Hope you guys had a great holiday!

I got to go through and read the posts.

I started my HF training plan last week, and just came back from a wild-weather-blizzard 9K. And next week they forecast -30F weather almost all weak. Oh well, happy running everyone.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
        2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

npaden

Hey Steve, good to see you.

Hope Jan had a great run in Phoenix this week.  Waiting on her race report.

I did end up with a PR for me on weekly mileage last week.  48 miles.  I wasn't super smart and decided to add in some big hills on my long run yesterday and then even less smart when I decided to try to keep my long run pace up the hills and I was feeling it at about mile 7 as I got to the top of the second big hill.

Felt a little bit of what they describe in the book as cummulative fatigue toward the end of the run after those big hills.

Going to be a little tough this week, I'm traveling for work with my audit team and I'm one of those guys who feels like they should hang out with the team instead of going their own way, but I'm going to have to ditch them a couple times to get my running in so this will be a good test of how that is going to work out.  I think I'll be out of town 5 or 6 weeks out of the 13 weeks that I have left so I need to get that part of it sorted out for sure.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

pcaharrier

Welcome to the new/returning folks and congrats on the weekly mileage PR, Nathan!

I also set a weekly mileage PR this week, hitting 40 miles for the first time.  I felt the cumulative fatigue during my easy run on Friday and during my long run on Saturday, but I feel really good about the week overall.  My Thursday tempo run didn't go quite as well as it could have: although I upped the mileage a bit (8 miles total and trying for 6 miles at goal hMP) I still had a little trouble locking in at that 8:30/mile pace.  Instead of hitting consistent 8:30s I bounced up and down between about 8:44 and 8:15.  I think for the rest of my training cycle that's going to be my primary focus: internalizing that goal hMP and hitting it consistently over longer distances.

Zelanie

Harrier, is your goal still sub-2:00?  I'm confused- why are you running 8:30s as your goal HMP?

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Hello to all...

I'm new here and hoping to chat with my old friends from RW as well as meet some new runners.   My half marathon PR (road race) is 1:55:16.    My goal (again) this year is to race at least once a month.  It keeps me motivated and I love seeing members of the running community. I run both on the road as well as on the trails, though I'm not sure I could choose a favorite.

I just completed my first race of the year, the Ugly Mudder 7 point something trail race, which is also the beginning of my 18 week training for my third full marathon, happening May 26.

I look forward to learning about all of your varied running/racing experiences as well as catching up with my old chums,

Happy Running.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

pcaharrier

Harrier, is your goal still sub-2:00?  I'm confused- why are you running 8:30s as your goal HMP?

8:30 per mile would get me to the finish in 1:51:21 or so (at least that's what I think it was the last I checked the RA pace calculator).  After this week if I'm still having trouble with locking in at that pace I might pull back and shoot for something closer to 8:47 (which would get me to the finish in around 1:55).

Zelanie

Awesome- good luck to you!

Hello to all...

I'm new here and hoping to chat with my old friends from RW as well as meet some new runners.   My half marathon PR (road race) is 1:55:16.    My goal (again) this year is to race at least once a month.  It keeps me motivated and I love seeing members of the running community. I run both on the road as well as on the trails, though I'm not sure I could choose a favorite.

I just completed my first race of the year, the Ugly Mudder 7 point something trail race, which is also the beginning of my 18 week training for my third full marathon, happening May 26.

I look forward to learning about all of your varied running/racing experiences as well as catching up with my old chums,

Happy Running.

I prefer TRAIL running over road but oftentimes, my travel schedule has me running road races. I was in AZ earlier this month and ran a 20K trail run, it was awesome!!  After the first 2 miles, we started to climb, for about 5 miles, it was a gain of at least 1500 ft, switchbacks, rocky single track trail, and the view from the top was glorious!!  I try to run at least a 10 miler and/or a HM each month, this keeps me motivated to stay in 'training mode' throughout the year.  I am also training for another full marathon in May and possibly, another in late summer or fall.  So glad to hear of another trail runner and your schedule is gonna keep you busy; good luck and safe running!

miele

Godzilla

2ft-  Now I remember the Celine Dion trip!  How was it?  Did DW absolutely love it?  I've only been once to Vegas and, although I'm happy I went, it's not really my kind of town.  The Mob Museum sounds interesting, though.  Have you watched that show 'Vegas'?  It's fairly new and I quite like it.  'Based on a True Story' which can mean anything but it's about the sheriff in Vegas in the early 60s.  I love all the clothing, cars and trucks but the story is entertaining, too.

az-  It's not me who is running the AZ half but rather Jan and her DH.  I get why a lot of people like trail running but, unfortunately, I'm not one of them.  I don't know why, really, except to say that I'm not big on being 'in' nature.  I like nature from a distance.  Glad you found a plan, Galloway, that works for you and allows you to keep doing what you enjoy.

doc-  I meant to congratulate you on your ever-impressive streak!  What dedication!  And nice, high mileage as usual!

stever and Edith- Big grin      Good to see you! (I was going to insert the hugging smileys but it doesn't exist)  I just read over on RW that you were going to head this way and I'm glad you did.  Hope Hector comes over, too.

stever-  -30?  That's crazy.  All I can say is:  layers, layers, layers.

Edith-  Nice job in your first race!  I see you're running some of the same races you ran last year.  I just like the name 'Half Wit'.

blue-  Whatever happens on that insanely hilly course, sub-2 or not, just don't get hurt!  You've had enough of that.

Nathan-  Congrats on the new mileage PR!  Maybe you can drag the group out for a run with you instead of hanging out with them at a restaurant or wherever.  Either way, I don't think they would take it personally if you ditched them a couple of times.  They'll have to get over it if they do cuz you're in training!

pca-  Congrats on your new mileage PR, too!  Everyone is doing so well.  Remind me what plan you're following.  I seem to recall someone mentioning that they were going to do a Hanson half marathon plan.  Was that you?  If so, do they have a specific plan or are you modifying their marathon plan?

Zelanie-  How's your training going?

me-  I just lifted today.  I'm in an 'every-other-day' running mode right now and ended up with a pathetic 20 miles last week.  But, now that I think about it, it was after the HM and I wasn't feeling well so that's OK.  Plus, this is my slacking off time before I start HM training.  I'm torn between Ryan Hall's HM training plan and a type of Hansons HM training plan.  What to do, what to do......Thoughts, anyone?

Oh, and I stalked Jan and I think she did great!  Where are you, Jan?  We want to hear all about it.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

pcaharrier

pca-  Congrats on your new mileage PR, too!  Everyone is doing so well.  Remind me what plan you're following.  I seem to recall someone mentioning that they were going to do a Hanson half marathon plan.  Was that you?  If so, do they have a specific plan or are you modifying their marathon plan?

Thanks!

I called my schedule Hansons-esque for lack of a better term.  I pulled parts from here and parts from here at first, gleaning a few details at a time (one of those sites does have a HM plan posted here and that's what I started working from).  Then when I got an Amazon gift card I went ahead and bought the book itself (only took me about three nights to read it too).  I then tweaked the plan a bit to get the strength and tempo workouts more like the Hansons do them.  Also, I'm only running 5 days a week although they call for 6 (I don't do long runs on Sundays because of church and I rarely feel up to running on Monday mornings).  I guess time will tell whether my Frankenstein's monster of a plan will work out for me, but at this point I'm pretty optimistic that it will.

Zelanie

Blue, Stever, Edith- Hiya!

Miele- It's "recovery" time, not "slacking off" time, right?

me- I have had some ups and downs lately.  Something was not quite right in my knee/hammy last week, and I ended up taking several URDs last week as a result.  I'm hoping that new shoes plus the extra rest is enough to do the trick.  I got a pair of Saucony Triumph 10s, and had my first run in them today.  Everything went GREAT!    Got in 8.0, which is the MLR run distance for this week, at a 9:44 pace.

This week I'm thinking of going back to "normal" miles for the week, but not doing any speedwork.  Then if I'm still feeling good at the end of the week, next week I'll add some faster miles back in.

You Rang?

Hi everybody!

I have a goal to run a sub 2:00 half.  I think I have a ways to go as my current HM PR is 2:21:11 set last week.  My next Half Marathon is in September.  In order to meet this goal, I am doing the following things:

1.  Running.  I'm running 6 days a week.  anywhere from 30 to 40 miles a week.  The usual easy run is 5 miles which is run at a 10:30 to 11:00 mm pace.  Wednesday is speed work:  3 miles at an 8:00 mm pace.  Sunday is the long run  10 - 15 miles in the 11:00 to 12:00 mm pace.

2.  Weight loss:  I'm 6' 6" tall and  weigh 240 lbs.  I want to weigh 200 lbs.  I think it will be easier to get myslef around the course faster if there is less of me to move.  I'm logging my calories and am losing about a pound a week.  these pounds are coming off very slowly.

Anything I'm missing?  Any other advice?

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Jan26.2

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! I'll be back tomorrow with a RR. We took a late flight back, cause hey, who really wants to come back to Wyoming after spending 4 days in Phoenix? The race was great, and I was 8 seconds short of a new PR. Which is fine, because I thought this race would be somewhat of a disaster. I'll take being 7 seconds slower than my existing PR. It was great weather, upper 40s to start and mid 60s when we finished. Back tomorrow with more.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13