Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

doctorjen

I've been AWOL a while as well.  I had a crazy busy Jan and most of Feb.

Nathan - ugh, I can't believe you broke your collarbone!  I suppose pain will be your limiting factor in running - fractures don't appreciate being jostled.  I'd think a trail marathon would be risky depending on the terrain, but I'm chronically on the ground when I trail run, maybe you're more coordinated!

Jan - this has been a long winter everywhere it seems.  I've been on the treadmill way too much this winter.

bluerun - good luck with your race.  Hopefully the tendonitis won't hold you back too terribly.  Maybe make some recovery plans, and log your recovery, especially if you have some particular exercises, or stretches, or something to do?  Sometimes that helps me feel like I'm not just taking time off, I'm actively working on my recovery.  I get a little nuts if I have to not run for a while.

Edith - yick, flu.  I find as an, uh, more mature grown up I recover much slower from stuff like that, too, whereas in my 20s I could bounce back pretty quick.  Hope you're back out there quickly.

miele - oh no, not the Garmin!  I traded mine in last spring when the battery would no longer hold a charge.  They sold me a new one for $75 with the trade (I have the 310), which I thought was a pretty good deal.  I live local to Garmin, so took it directly to the customer service there, but I think they do that by mail, etc, too.  What half are you running?

Me - I'm running a fair amount, sort of loosely following the Pfitz 18/55 plan for my pacing gig at the Garmin marathon on 4/26.  I want to have the mileage base to be comfortable running a full, but I don't feel obligated to do all the speed work, etc, I would do if I was training for a PR.  I have a friend who is training for a full on 4/27 and trying to BQ, so I do run faster with her when she needs a running buddy.  I entered the lotter for the Marine Corps Marathon.  By chance, I'll be at a conference in DC that ends the day before the marathon, so it's great timing for me.  I have not much hope that I'll get in.  This is the first year they've held a lottery, which I think they instituted due to such high demand.  (Last year it sold out in 2 hours.)  They did offer 2000 guaranteed spots to active military (sold out in 2 hours) and 1775 spots to a shorter race in April that give guaranteed entry if you finish it, and that sold out in 9 minutes!  They do allow bib transfer, so I'm hoping even if I don't get picked in the lottery that I can pick up a bib down the road.

I'm at a conference in Palm Springs, CA this week (I'm ducking the tomatoes those of you home in cold climates are prolly throwing at the computer right now.)  It's been high 70s and sunny and feels like heaven.  I've run more miles on the treadmill here than outside because I'm in the conference for most of the daylight, but even the treadmill looks at palm trees, a beautiful pond, mountains, and they open giant sliding doors to the gym and you can feel the breeze and smell the flowers.

miele

Godzilla

doc-  I read about your pacing gig and got quite excited for you!  Probably more excited about it than you.  It just sounds like a fun thing to do.  What pace?  Fingers crossed you'll get in to MCM.  I don't think I'll send my Garmin in for a replacement since it might be something DH would like to use.  He only runs 3-4 miles and I think it could probably still last a long time for short runs like that.  Enjoy Palm Springs!  I was there only once for the Indian Wells tennis tournament and really enjoyed it.  Apparently they have a lot of mid-century modern houses which I didn't see but I like that style.  I'm running the Lucky run in Davis.  A St. Patrick's Day race.

me-  I think I've completely lost my running mojo.  My legs have been feeling unusually heavy lately and I've bailed on a couple of speed workouts.  Something I never do.  No worries.  I'll get it back eventually.  I think I can put it down to 2 months of doing nothing in the gym and then starting back up.  Especially the leg workout.

Run Happy!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

bluerun

Super B****

I'll be back tomorrow night for personals (tomorrow night being Saturday night, it's late Friday afternoon here) -- but I will say that I am royally pissed because this is probably the most disorganized race I have ever run, my leg hurts like crazy, and I didn't even PR.  I don't have an official time because my chip apparently didn't register, don't ask, but I ran 1:45:12 according to my Garmin.  I am angry.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

miele

Godzilla

blue-  That sucks!  Is this the Jerusalem half  you ran last year?  If so, I don't remember anything negative about last year's race (other than it was hilly).  I understand your disgust at the lack of organization.  I'm curious about what happened, though, since I often wonder what's so difficult about organizing a proper race.  Ok, I've never organized one so I have no idea what's involved but I do know that most races are well run so how is it that they can screw up a race so badly.  BTW, what's your PR?  Try to enjoy the rest of your stay there and don't let this ruin another second of your visit.

me-  Ran 11 yesterday with a friend.  She signed up to run the HM with me this coming Sat. so that should be a lot of fun.  Of course, we'll go together and start together but we'll run our own races.  I think she runs her LRs too fast, at least for me.  After last week's run together, I told her I would drop back if I thought the pace was too fast for me.  I did exactly that and had a pretty good run.  This coming week I'm going to take it easy.

miele

Godzilla

blue-  Oh no!  I just read your blog and it answered all my questions.  How's the leg today?  Yeah, I thought Tel Aviv was supposed to be flat but I guess it's all relative.  I always thought it would be a fun race but now I know the truth.  Your splits didn't show up for some reason.  Hope you figure out what's wrong with your leg.  Can you get an MRI while in Israel?  Might be easier and much less costly since your doctor obviously isn't inclined to get you one in The States.

bluerun

Super B****

miele -- I ran Jerusalem last year.  It was hilly and my quads didn't forgive me for days, but at least it wasn't a disorganized mess like this.  I want to do Jerusalem again next year, not for time (that isn't a race you run for a PR, really), but for the experience.  Because it was the most awesome thing ever.

I can limp around.  Which I found out when I spent half an hour waiting for a bus that never came, so I just gave up and "walked" the mile back to my hotel.  I can normally cover a mile in under fifteen minutes.  It took me half an hour.

If I get an MRI in Israel, I'd have to pay for it out of pocket.  It's not an option anyway, since I'm going home tomorrow.  Maybe I'll go to another doctor for a second opinion, though I'm not sure where I'd go, since my doctor is at HSS and they're supposed to be "the best" for such things.  Nor do I have the energy required to go about it… honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if my plane crashed, though that's unfair to all the innocent people onboard.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Bluerun - sorry about your experience.   The lows of running and racing can be so terribly low.  But that's what makes the highs so great! I sure hope your leg us okay.

Miele - welcome back!   Garmin is pretty good company; I have the 110 and was able to send it back and get a replacement (refurbished) for $60 plus s/h.   You will get your mojo back... You must because I need mine as well!   With the snow, no access to TM, and being sick, I'm really behind on the running.   I am so sick of cold and snow.  

Doc - I am not jealous,  but I am happy for you to get the break from this awful weather.   It seems like you are doing really well.  I hope that you get into the MCM.  That was the first marathon I ever registered for but got injured so couldn't run it.  I'd love to run it someday.  I did run the inaugural MC half.  That was great.  Having a marine place a medal around my neck was one of the greatest things.  Fingers crossed!

Me -  Sssssslllllooooowwwwwwllllllyyyyy getting back to it.  Ran 5 trail miles on Weds but had to walk up the hills that I normally have no problem running up.   Then ran 6 on Saturday morning.   Was planning to run today but now I am snowed in.  If I don't race this month, then my next race will be a 15k trail run in April.  I really need to get to running.   Be well, all!

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

miele

Godzilla

Edith-  I went in to buy the Garmin 220 yesterday and, of course, they didn't have it without the HRM.  So they ordered it.  Don't know if it'll arrive before the race.  Your loss of mojo is more understandable than mine.  You were sick, you're under 20 ft of snow and ice, etc.  I have no excuse.  Are you going to run that race you ran last year which left you with a bunch of chocolate?

blue-  Hope you had an uneventful flight back.  I don't even like to think about planes crashing.  I really don't.  And that new movie with Liam Neeson?  No way am I going to see that.  Take care of that leg.

me-  Ran 6.5 with 2.5 at GHMP.  Of course my watch freaked out so I'm not really sure what my pace was for the tempo part.  8:15 I think.  Which is too fast.  No wonder it felt harder than it should have.  I might have to try and hang with a pace group for the HM.  I don't really like that idea but it'll give me at least an idea of my pace if I can stay in close proximity.

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Still just running... No race planned until April, which, yes Miele, is the race where people get picked to carry an egg to earn chocolate.   Looking forward to hearing about your HM.

I went to DSW to return a pair of (non-running) shoes yesterday.   I was given store credit so I decided to look around.  Lo and behold, they had Brooks PureFlows,  which is my under 10 mile or speed work shoe.  However, they only had one pair in my size and they were black, yuck, so I decided to look around some more.   When I found they had nothing I wanted, I returned to the Flows and there was a woman trying on the ONE PAIR IN MY SIZE.   Argh!   So I stalked her, hoping she would put them down... no luck, she bought em.   Those shoes in my size probably sat there for weeks!

The good news is that the store was able to order them, in pink, which will be delivered to my house.  Got them for $60.  Yay!

Another running thought not about me running.... Does anyone else hurry to the window when someone in town runs past, as you want to see who's out running?  Not too many runners in my town so I'm curious.

Heading out to run in a little bit.   Decided to wait until later in the day as I could wake up early and run when it was 30 degrees or sleep in a bit and wait until it hit 48-50.  I might even run in SHORTS today. Who-Hoo.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                    • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                    • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

Running Rev'd

So I have never even posted in this thread, even though I had a long-term goal to go sub-2 in a half marathon because I figured that goal was a long way off. But I achieved it this past Saturday at the Tom King Half Marathon in Nashville! Official time, 1:59:47. 13 seconds to spare!

My old PR was 2:07:42, and even though I've run some halves, my main focus has been marathon training, so I haven't really raced a half in a while. I lowered my marathon time by 13 minutes in October to 4:27 and decided that I wanted to focus on lowering my times in other distances in 2014. For my marathon PR, I used FIRST/Run Less, Run Faster with great success, so I decided to use that to train for this half as well, especially focusing on swimming & cycling for cross-training since I'm targeting my first triathlons coming up. I was feeling good about my chances for going under 2:05 (all that I expected!). I ran a hilly 15K tune-up race comfortably hard at about a 9:20 pace and figured I could definitely sustain that for another 4 miles. Some of my fellow RAers kept saying that I could probably run sub-2, but I didn't want to set myself up for failure. The race I ran is notoriously flat but also well-known for unpredictable weather. Fortunately, the weather was PERFECT on Saturday - clear and 40-degrees at the start, rising to about 50.

I shockingly slept pretty well the night before, got up at 5:30, and was out the door around 6:15. Picked up my packet, found my parents, pinned number, attached chip to shoe, etc., etc. I was a nervous wreck. We lined up at the start and off we went. I shed my long-sleeve shirt right off the bat, and despite the sun, my arms and hands were cold for the first mile. I really wanted to be sure I got off quickly enough but not too fast. Hit the first mile in 9:05 and the second in 9:06. Cue my mental game. Is this too fast? I should slow down. I wanted to be closer to 9:20 but I felt good so I decided to hold on to that as long as I could. Next 3 miles in 9:08. At least I'm running evenly!

The course is out and back so you get to see everyone in front of you and cheer them on. It made a few miles go quickly. I thought I might be in trouble when I essentially broke my 10K PR at the turnaround. Quickly took a gel and continued on. I saw my mom and shouted that I was on pace for sub-2. I still didn't really think that was something I was capable of achieving. I still had a lot of miles to cover and who knew when I might crater. I had a group of a few guys I was running with, mostly just trying to keep myself calm through 10 miles. At 10 miles, my pace had dropped to 9:18.

Maybe today is not my day for sub-2, but I'll be really close. Mile 11 was a little bit faster, and with only 2 miles to go, I decided to go for it. My mantra became, "If not now, than when?" I had perfect weather, good training, and a flat course. It hurt, but I picked it up and started picking off several people who'd stopped to walk. One spectator shouted, "You're looking tough, 576 (me)", and I was like, "YEAH!" Mile 12 was 9:00.

I was still going to have to HAUL to get in under 2, but with a mile to go, I called on my track sessions. 1600, leave it all out here. We approached the football stadium, took a left to go around the stadium, and then a right down the ramp to the field. I heard the 13th mile click off on my Garmin but didn't know what it was (8:42, turns out). I knew I needed to move. We still had to run around the field, but I dug deep and kicked in. When I looked at my watch, it read 1:59:48. 12 seconds to spare! I wanted to cry but I was too tired. I saw my dad in the stands, and my husband was there too, though I didn't see him. Dad met me outside the stadium where we emerged, and we waited for Mom to finish.

It was really a great race, and I couldn't believe that I broke 2:00 when I really just wanted to go under 2:05. Anyway, I wanted to share my success with you all even though I haven't previously been a part of this group!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

miele

Godzilla

Edith-  Nice score on the shoes!  Who needs non-running shoes, anyway?  I bet they're pretty.  Lots of runners around here so I don't really run to the window to check them out but I do take note.  When I got up to go to the HM it was still dark out and, sure enough, someone ran by with a headlamp.  Speaking of the HM.  It was fun.  I ended up going with a friend (her second HM and she had a 15 min PR!  She'll be going sub-2 before too long).  DH was sick so couldn't make it.

I didn't know what to expect going in but I did know that the training cycle was less than stellar (to put it mildly) so my game plan was to go out at my PR pace (1:50:56), or thereabouts, and see how long I could hold on.  Mile 7 was as far as I got before I had to slow down.  1:52:42.  At one point leading up to the race I thought I would be happy with a sub-2 but then I convinced myself I could at least run a 1:55 so I'm not surprised or disappointed with the results.  Beautiful weather, a huuuuge medal (kind of obnoxious, really).  And that time was good enough for 3rd AG which meant an additional medal plus a grab bag which ended up being some short CEP compression socks.  Cool.

Back home I took a nap and then immediately fell ill thanks to the generosity of DH.  At least I didn't get sick before the race.

I have another HM in 2 weeks.  Very unexpected but I won an entry into the Oakland running Festival.  I signed up for the full thinking I could downgrade (I liked the full shirt better...it has thumb holes and I don't have a shirt with thumbholes).  But after I had signed up I thought, 'what if I can't downgrade and I have to run the full'.  I really should've thought that one through.  We'll see what happens.

I hope you get to carry the egg and win a bunch of chocolate!

kmays-  Congrats on the great race!  How'd your Mom do?

me- I've been on this couch since Sat. night.  I think I'm feeling a little better but then a wave of weakness hits me.  Oh, and my new Garmin 220 came in on Fri. so I could use on Sat.  I love it.  One of the great things is when it shows the mile split I can actually read it because it so much larger than on the 405.

nathan-Sorry about the collarbone. Hope its healing fast.

kmays-welcome, and nice way to go sub 2.

I'll try and get to some personals later this week.

Yikes, way too long since my last check in. Busy with work, school and kids. Son was in San Fran/Sacramento area for some rugby matches. They had a blast.

I'm about 6 weeks out of my first HM this year, hoping to break the 1:44 PR from 2 years ago. Training plan is going well, finishing off some long, slow runs, now into race simulation mode for another month, then taper mode.
                          Got a Garmin 10 for Xmas, and love it. It has really helped me track my speed this time around.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                          2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

miele

Godzilla

stever-  Glad to hear your training is going well.  You're going to have a great HM.  The Garmin 10 looks like a nice watch, too, (especially the orange one) and I considered it but there are a couple of features I like that it lacks.

me-  I'm still sick.  Feeling much better but the congestion just hangs on.  Blech.  So no running this week.  No gym, either.  It hasn't affected my appetite, though, so I'm sitting around eating and not doing much of anything.  Great combination.

miele-the Garmin 10 is a nice, basic watch. Just enough information for distance, elevation, pace and laps. Keeps history of best runs (from 1k, 1mi to FM). Not bad for $120 Cnd.

Hope you feel better. Sending chicken soup your way...

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                              2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Sorry I have been AWOL - My running plan has radically changed due to a fortunate event.  Our pediatrician was offered a comp number to Boston - but he's injured - so he offered it to me.  LAST WEEK - So I had about 7 weeks notice to train.  Fortunately one of my BFFs is running it to - so we are training together.  I am a bit overwhelmed - but have set low expectations.  Namely finishing with all body part intact!  i ran 18 last weekend and felt great - so we'll see.

I will try to catch up here on personals -

NPaden - sorry about the collar bone - How goes the healing?

DocJen - sounds like you are training well for the marathon on 4/26.  Palm spring sounds wonderful - a mid winter trip is just magic (we are currently in FL) - this winter has been relentless - with no end in sight.

Miele - My Garmin started to be crazy (4:15 pace, 26:45 pace) maps all off - so I returned the 210 and got the 220 - I am in LOVE! Great job on the half!  3rd in your AG :-)  Kick it !!  And you're running another again so soon?

Edith - I love finding the unexpected deal on fave shoes.  I just found a pair of Adidas Adios - (last years color) for half price.  so good I had to buy two - Carry an egg and get chocolate!  Sounds FUN FUN FUN!

KMAYs - Welcome and congrats on your race!

Stever - Welcome to Garmin nation - I cannot imagine running without it.  Good luck in the upcoming race - you always seen super prepared and psyched.  maybe it's just your avatar :-)

Blue - you need to write a book about your timing and racing mishaps - also about how damn strong you are to continue running through so many injuries.  you really are determined and inspire me to keep on going when I am feeling aches and pains.

Ready, go.