Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

npaden

8.22 miles on the treadmill tonight!!!!   3 weeks since I broke my collarbone.

Here's a picture of it from Monday.

The Dr. cleared me for "power walking" and I did a couple days of that and then decided easy running was pretty close to power walking so started running on Thursday.

Still wearing a sling, don't think I could run without it, it really anchors my arm in and lets me keep it from moving around when I run.

That gets me to 17.3 miles for this week and I need to keep going at a 5.5 mile per day pace to keep my 100 mile per month streak alive.  I think I can do it.

Not going to run the trail marathon though.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

stever-  Thanks for the virtual chicken soup.  It didn't seem to help but it was a nice thought.  Is your wife running the race with you?

Tara-  I'm so excited for you!  What a great thing to happen.  Ok, 7 weeks training isn't ideal but who cares?  You'll finish it with a decent time just not your best time considering the short training period.  And looking at your sig it looks like this will be your first marathon?  Is that right?  How cool is that?  I don't know what your BQ time is but you're so fast you might be able to BQ for next year.  I haven't run since that HM so that was the only time I've used my watch so far.  I love the big numbers and the vibrating alert instead of the beep.  My next race is Sunday and it's going to be just a fun thing to do since to many things have conspired against me to be able to put in a good training cycle.  I'm just happy there was no injury involved.  Just life.  If I'm forced to do the full marathon, I plan on walking a lot.  It's hilly so I'll walk the hills.  If I can transfer to the HM, that would be ideal.

Nathn-  I'm relieved to hear that you're not going to try and run the trail race.  I saw the other thread and was really hoping you wouldn't put yourself in a position to hurt yourself worse than you already are.  That X-ray looks a lot like my neighbors.  He showed us the post surgery X-ray with the caterpillar thing installed, too, and it looks just like a caterpillar hugging his clavicle.  Did you get that.  My neighbor broke his then had surgery around the 10th of Dec. He now has almost complete range of motion but it's going to be a while before it's 100%.  On the other hand, another friend of ours broke his collarbone last year, didn't have surgery, it never healed until just recently when he did have surgery.  It's something you don't want to mess with.  Take care.

me-  Still congested.  Really, how much 'stuff' can the body produce that can be ejected through the nose?  It's incredible.  OK, I don't like taking medicine so I probably could've helped myself a little more by taking something.  What, I don't know.  I've done the nasal spray at night so I can at least breathe through my nose.  Tonight we might go for a short run with the group if we feel up to it.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

miele-Yes, my wife is doing her third HM, and she's trying to go sub 2. Did it in 2:07 last year.

nathan-ouch, nasty break in 2 places to boot. Keep up the running and hope you get back to 100%.

tara-being an engineer gives me the insight to be methodical and analytical, but being a procrastinator throws all that out the window.

me-5 and 13.5k this week. Looking forward to above zero temps as well. Starting my batch of 18k race-pace runs next weekend.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
        2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Miele - I hope you are feeling better -this winter has just been nasty- I actually ran a marathon on 1993 - and qualified for Boston - but I was quite ill the next two years and never made it to Hopkinton.  I just turned 45 so I have to run a 3:55 to qualify for next year.  Right now my only goal is to finish....but you never know!  Have fun at the race this weekend.

Nathan - OUCH!!!! That break looks nasty....amazed you are able to move at all.  Hope you heal quickly.

Stever - Good luck to you and DW.

Hope everyone else is well - we got a springlike day here in Boston yesterday - but snow is forecasted for the weekend and more polar temps next week - give me a break.

Tara

Ready, go.

Hello everyone!   It has been a while for me to post because I haven't been running too much the last several weeks. I wanted to finish my school quarter strong and luckily I did. I got a few 5k's and some good trail runs in.  Just have not had the plan set yet for the next big run.  Half marathon for sure, just haven't picked a date.  I hope everyone is dealing well with the weather and all that, the Spring is coming!!

If anyone remembers I was hiking the Pacific Crest trail some months ago and got food poison and had to come off the trail after 32 miles.  Well I went back out to where I stopped over Spring break last week, and finished the section. I had to hike around 80 more miles to complete the 109.5 mile section. It went a lot better and I suffered only a minor blister.  Took 5 days or so.  I will post the video link of my hike trip below if anyone wants to watch it.  It is 18 minutes, the first 6 minutes were from my first part where I got sick  Some of you may have seen that part already.  Take care and happy running

Wolfy

Pacific Crest Trail (Section A hike)

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Hi All,

Reading your posts, seems like there are quite a few walking wounded out there, and some emerging from a forced or voluntary hibernation.....Well, we can finally say that the winter is behind us, but it's been a long time coming.....

Finished pre-taper training today with a 22-mile run @9:18. Started off slowly @9:35ish due to very painful shin splints (note to self: stretch shins before race in three weeks), 12m @9:02 in the middle,  and 4 miles at 9:35 at the end

Didn't take any carbs (liquid or solid) during the run, just water. Same for previous long run of 18m a week before. This would have been unthinkable before, but thanks to the mid-week morning long runs where I don't eat, I've managed to avoid even in the long runs. Hope is that this will increase my fat-burning capability, but I am not yet at the stage where I would run the marathon without any carb intake, I'll take a couple of gels, and drink some gatorade at the stops. I've also greatly reduced my water intake - no water on a run up to 14 miles, and only 3 cups today: no plan behind that, just don't feel the need to drink.

As for my thoughts on Pfitz 18/55, the longer mid-week runs are very helpful. I didn't find the program too challenging, until the last three weeks, where there is a long run on Friday, recovery run Saturday, followed by long run Sunday; or a 10K on Saturday followed by a LR on Sunday. This week, I wasn't able to run on one scheduled day, so had to do 10m incl VO2 on Thursday, 11m on Friday, and 22 today. Have also had trouble getting in enough sleep due to professional obligations, and have found that I have beena little short-tempered with those around me, so glad to be in taper now. I know now that 50-60 miles per week is my limit, as long as I have to work for a living. But I must confess to finding the idea of going for a run every morning, then coming back for a power nap, then doing what I want for the rest of the day, very appealing!

Hopefully, it will all have been worthwhile!

P.S. Week 2 of my taper will be spent with family in Puerto Rico - acclimatising just in case we have a scorcher on the Jersey Shore

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

2foot - Sounds like a nice long run there (22).  I don't know how you do the low water intake. Maybe it is just too hot and dry out here or something. I always need to drink a ton of water it seems.  Good luck with the taper madness hehe

Not much going on for me except school. Getting good grades. Did a 5k tonight and felt pretty good. I am starting to get in the mood to run again.  Its been awhile since I felt the bug.  Hope all the rest of you are well, healing up and getting ready for more races.

Wolfy

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

miele

Godzilla

Well, I just had a whole thing written out and then I hit a button and made everything disappear.  So here I go again...

stever-  Hope the temps have warmed up there.  How'd the race-pace run go?  I know you've mentioned it before but which race are you running?

Tara-  You're finally running Boston after all these years!  Nice.  I've been following a Boston weather thread over on RWOL.  Don't know why since I'm not running but it's funny.  I think they started it over a month ago.  How's the taper going?

Wolfy-  I remember the food poisoning that cut your hike short.  Nice job in finishing.  I think I'm just now getting my running mojo back, too. I guess we just need a break every now and again.  Glad school is going well.

2ft-  Nice training!  And an excellent way to taper, as well!  Remind me what the reasoning is behind little or no water during training.  It seems I did that a few years ago after reading an article but now the rationale escapes me.  Then I read another article about the dangers of not drinking enough water and that put a stop to the water rationing.

me-  Finally got in a 40 mile week last week.  My first in a very long time.  So I think I'm getting back in the groove.  I want to hold 40-45 mpw till June when I'll start marathon training again.  I have a 10k Sat. so I'll only get about 30 miles in this week, though.  I ran a horrible race in Oakland.  I don't want to talk about it.  I did get passed by Dean Karnazes (sp?).  Oakland puts on a nice race with lots of entertainment afterwards.  Anyone remember Sheila E?  She put on a show but I didn't stick around long enough to see her.   It was a beautiful day, too.  I just wish it weren't so expensive.  I visited the med tent after the race due to heartburn that started at mile 7.  The guy said that exercise induced heartburn isn't uncommon.  So it was good to know I wasn't having a heart attack.

Hi Miele,

So much for never running a marathon again... ;-)  Oh yes, I recall you did talk about Amsterdam, but isn't that in the Spring?

The water is not a deliberate thing, no rationale for me, it just seems to have come about during the winter due to 1. cold, 2. longer mid-week runs, and 3. my hydration belt causes chaffing so I am reluctant to take it out. I'm sure I'll drink a lot more in the summer!

But since you raise the topic, it does appear that drinking too much is more dangerous than not drinking enough, or maybe better said: it is easier to drink too much than not drink enough.

Looking forward to London Marathon this w/e (on TV) - should be a great race, really top class field. Will be interesting to see how Mo Farah performs, I do think he will win, but should be interesting....

I watched Los Angeles recently - the gender competition does make it quite exciting - and also watched Paris MArathon last weekend: the aerial shots of the course are fantastic, and a great run from Bekele: sixth fastest first-marathon in history, faster thah Gebrselassie's first marathon by a couple of minutes. If he stays injury free, he'll be a force to reckon with in the next few years....

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

miele

Godzilla

2ft-  Yeah, I quit every, single time.  I swear to myself that I'm never running another marathon around mile 20 of the marathon I'm actually running.  I've come to accept the fact that I'm a pathological liar when it comes to quitting marathons.  Nobody believes me anymore and I can't say that I blame them.

Amsterdam is October 19th.  We'll see.  I haven't signed up yet.  I don't know how it would work out as far as training while traveling.  I'm thinking that'll be difficult.

I figure you know best what your body needs while running.  And, yes, that hyponatremia sounds bad, bad, bad. Definitely something to avoid.

You must get Universal Sports since you can watch all the marathons.  My cable provider doesn't offer it.  Dang it.  I would love to watch Mo's debut.  I hope some channel I get will show Boston.  I won't complain too much since I've at least been able to watch some Premier League and Champions League matches.  But still...

Zelanie-  If you're still out there...Good luck Sunday!!!!  Have a fun race!

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I missed this thread coming back to life but it's good to see everyone!  Thanks Miele- my goal HM is tomorrow and training has gone really well.  We'll see what race day brings.

Miele- Hope your race today was a good one!

2-foot- Enjoy that taper you've earned!  I'm also happy to hear feedback about the Pfitz plan because I am probably leaning towards 18/55 myself at the moment.

Tara- Hope you're also enjoying the taper, and good luck next week!

Wolfy- Glad you made it back to the trail.

Stever- Hope your pace runs have gone well.

npaden- Yikes!  Glad you're back to running, but hope you're careful too!

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  I saw your thread about which plan to choose.  I've done both Pfitz 18/55 and Hansons.  I prefer Hansons.  I did the Pfitz for CIM '12 which was the monsoon so I can't really say if it would've been successful.  I threw out any goals for that race.  I did find Pfitz paces too fast for me.  Especially the tempo.  It just wore me out which led to missing speed workouts in favor of just getting the miles in.  Hansons, on the other hand, was difficult but doable.  The paces are slower in the 'Tempo' and 'strength' workouts although, IIRC, the speed workouts were your normal track workouts with similar paces to Pfitz.  I felt very strong during the race.  I did max out at an 18 mile LR but I added miles during the week to support that distance according to their formula.  I think I ran a few weeks in the 70s.  Why not try both?  I know you're leaning towards Pfitz (which is a great plan, don't get me wrong) so try that one first then Hansons.

Sooooooo, how was the race?  I want all the details!  You're training has been excellent and you're going to rock Portland!

me-  My race was so-so.  The good:  I was really happy with my pacing.  Decided to go out no faster than 7:55-8:00.  Which I did.  The bad: The course was short!  The ugly:  The course was short!!!!!!  Unbelievable.  I ran a 5.9 mile 10k.  Last year they had an accurate course.  It's supposed to be certified, too.  Well, it wasn't.   I ran 7:55-8s through mile 4 then ran a 7:45 mile 5.  The final .9 was run at an 8:00mm but I'm sure that was because we turned right into a vicious headwind.  So even though my effort went up that mile was a bit slower than planned. But, all in all, I'm really pleased with my pacing.  Started feeling uncomfortable starting at mile 5 instead of at mile 1.  I call that a success.  But, seriously, how do you mess up the course like that?  I'm not so ticked off about it since I didn't take a week out of marathon training to run this but I am highly annoyed.  Oh, good enough for 1st AG (I would've finished around 48:45 had it been accurate) and I think I was 4th overall female.

npaden

miele - sorry to hear about the course being short.  That is so tough to deal with.  I'm very thankful that my only big snafu so far for me has been the one race where they had us run 1/4 mile too far, I don't think I've had a race that was too short.

zelanie - how was the race?

Me - Collarbone isn't completely healed, but got the official okay to start running again, just can't lift anything heavy with that arm.  Dr. cleared me to get out of the sling and everything 2 weeks ago and it seems to be going good, but haven't really been able to get any long runs in.  My shoulder blade gets really tight and develops a big knot that just gets worse and worse starting about mile 10.  I was still able to get in my 3rd week in a row at 50+ miles though (just barely, but hey).

Did about what I expected in my 15K race this weekend.  Tried to start out around an 8:00 pace, but ended up going out a little faster than that and just tried to hang on there at the end.  One big hill at about the 7.5 mile mark slowed me down, but I was able to pick it back up and come in at a pretty decent pace.  Mile 1 was just going out too fast, Mile 2 was the downhill that we ended up going back up in Mile 8, other than that I was pretty happy with my splits.  I didn't get my GPS stopped when I crossed the line, my official time was 1:13:53 for a avg pace of 7:56 for the official distance.

Here's my splits:

1 Manual 1 mi 7:38.13 7:38.13 7:39      
                            2 Manual 1 mi 7:38.63 15:16.76 7:39      
                            3 Manual 1 mi 7:58.63 23:15.39 7:59      
                            4 Manual 1 mi 7:57.18 31:12.57 7:58      
                            5 Manual 1 mi 7:43.53 38:56.1 7:44      
                            6 Manual 1 mi 7:49.33 46:45.43 7:50      
                            7 Manual 1 mi 7:52.49 54:37.92 7:53      
                            8 Manual 1 mi 8:37.5 1:03:15.42 8:38      
                            9 Manual 1 mi 7:47.92 1:11:03.34 7:48      
                            10 Manual 0.39 mi 3:01.67 1:14:05.01 7:46

32 days until my 50K trail race, got a lot of miles to log the next few weeks to get me ready still.  I'm not going to be as ready as I would like to be, but I should be at least in good enough shape to finish if I pace myself correctly.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

Nathan-  Nice race!  So fast!  Glad you got officially cleared by your Dr. (although I know you snuck in some runs before being cleared).   Hopefully over the next 30 days your shoulder blade will stop acting up like that.

me-  Got my first ever pair of trail shoes!  I think they're more like beginner trail shoes which is fine with me.  They don't have huge lugs and drainage isn't good (if running through rivers or creeks which I don't plan on doing).  Karhu something or other.  I like them.  Went for a 4.5 hilly run which was fun but difficult.  I decided since I'm not training for anything I'll get some hill training in 1-2 times a week.  One hilly run and then one easy run with hill sprints.

Zelanie

Hi guys.  The race was terrible.  9:30 start and much hotter than what we've trained in.  I had horrible stomach cramps the whole way.  My friend had heat stroke and they called an ambulance for her about 10 miles in.  Just a crummy day all the way around.

The good news is, since it turned into not much more than a job by mile 3, I was already back out there today. Smile

Npaden- You are one badass runner, I have to say!

Miele- Beginner trail shoes, hehe!  They should come with extra "training lugs".  I seriously need to do more hill work myself, and we do have some fantastic trails around here.  Congrats on the AG win!  Short courses are so frustrating, though!