My first case of chub rub (Read 1610 times)

I decided I needed new (smaller) running shorts since the ones I wore 40 pounds heavier dont exactly fit right anymore. So i went to target and invested in a skirt since so many women rave about them. I really do like it, but the little shorts underneath it are just too tiny for my "beefy" legs and wound up spending most of my running journey tucked up in my groin! Hence, a small (but bound to get worse) spot of chub rub on both inner thighs. I guess I will have to invest in some body glide now...... I used to be happy to know I never needed body glide before - kinda thought I was invincible in some way!! Why do women's running shorts - the tight, spandexy ones - have to be so short? Is it a fashion no-no to have them a little longer - like mid to lower thigh??

A Saucy Wench

Mine are all long. I dont do shorty shorts.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Chris~ First of All, Congrats on the need for Smaller shorts! That itself is pretty darn cool. I have to use bodyglide everyday, and it's not always because your " beefy" but because as the weather gets warmer, our skin just gets stickier, and chaffing is just a side effect of that. Believe me, I have every type of running bottom out there, and by far from a comfort standpoint I prefer the skirts. Even my racing split leg shorts creep and bunch up, and I have very thin thighs. Don't fear the Bodyglide, It's your FRIEND! Wink Happy Running! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Misinformation Officer

There are a PLETHORA of running skirt types--as varied as shorts--and often one cannot tell the difference between them by looking at them on a hanger (not "hangar" right? that's the airplane home, huh???). Also, the liner shorts come in many different lengths. As much as I love Target, NONE of their athletic skirts have liner shorts that stay in place for me, so I got some elastic and ran it through the seams and now they work well. I wasn't about to throw out a zillion of them! I have also used roll-on toupee glue before to keep them in place during a race, and honestly, that worked better than anything, but I do not usually remember to do that before a regular run. Anyway, I have purchased probably ten different types of skirts over the years until I found the style that fits me best--and whatever works best for you may be entirely different.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What I have found to chafe the least is the skirts with briefs/bumhugger underneath, then Body Gliding the "contact" areas. Skin on skin chafes far less than fabric being rubbed-around between the thighs, which is what I got with shorts. The skirts with liner shorts always ride-up, anyhow--at least on me. I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi compression shorts that have leg grippers like cycling shorts, but without the chamois. I am really liking these, too. They have a 6" inseam. I may end up wearing these for a marathon, since Body Glide seems to become ineffective for me after about 13 miles or so, so I'm not sure I can do the skirt for a longer race. If all else fails I'll wear some knee-length tights. Gah, I hate my inner thighs. Even when I am a size 2 I have issues with the rubbing. I had to wear compression shorts under running shorts in HS--pre-skirt days.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

glad its not just me, i was getting frustrated. i'm gonna save my "fatty" shorts for my upcoming muddybuddy race because i know they will get completely ruined and i am not about to waste my new running clothes on that. i'm already bugging out about wearing my good running shoes through their mud pit, but i dont have anything else and dont want to chance an injury in old shoes. i'm gonna write body glide on my list of things to buy the next time i'm out by the local running store.
                i'm already bugging out about wearing my good running shoes through their mud pit, but i dont have anything else and dont want to chance an injury in old shoes.
                How old are the old ones? At a trail race that I was expecting to be quite muddy, I wore shoes that were past their lifetime for the road - but they worked just fine for a race in sand/dirt/water. I did not get injured and it was very convenient to just throw them away afterwards. A lot of what makes a shoe "worn out" is the cushioning, which in a mud race, I gotta think is not as needed. The two people I know that have done mud races like that have each lost a shoe. Something to think about.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hey Zoom Zoom, I'm a newby to Running Ahead and see several places people requesting the password to your Ladies Locker room. Would you please send it to me and allow me to join? KLishot@yahoo.com Karen
                  What I have found to chafe the least is the skirts with briefs/bumhugger underneath, then Body Gliding the "contact" areas. Skin on skin chafes far less than fabric being rubbed-around between the thighs, which is what I got with shorts. The skirts with liner shorts always ride-up, anyhow--at least on me. I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi compression shorts that have leg grippers like cycling shorts, but without the chamois. I am really liking these, too. They have a 6" inseam. I may end up wearing these for a marathon, since Body Glide seems to become ineffective for me after about 13 miles or so, so I'm not sure I can do the skirt for a longer race. If all else fails I'll wear some knee-length tights. Gah, I hate my inner thighs. Even when I am a size 2 I have issues with the rubbing. I had to wear compression shorts under running shorts in HS--pre-skirt days.
                  What a beautiful time of the year in New England
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Got it! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay