2018 in 2018 Game Individual signup open for one more week (Read 305 times)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

2018 Group  

If you want to be placed on a team in January, sign up and then go to the 2018 group and post in the Individuals interested in joining a team thread.

The 2018 in 2018 Club is a group of runners looking to achieve a mileage goal (of any amount) for the coming year. If you've had trouble reaching mileage targets in the past or need a little extra push to get you where you would like to be, this club can help! This is the tenth year running (pardon the pun) and it has become an institution of sorts across various forums. With fellow members supporting them, many runners revised their lower mileage goals and reached goals that they never would have dreamed of.

Additionally, the 2018 in 2018 Club has an optional team competition ("Head2Head") with members randomly assigned to teams with approximately equal balance (members & goal miles). The idea here is to help runners develop friendships, support each other, and have a little friendly competition. Our experience is that smaller groups organized as teams are very helpful in encouraging members to stick to their goals.

What do you get with your membership?

• Weekly updates posted on RA with stats such as; weekly average needed to reach your goal, average weekly mileage, miles remaining, etc.
    • An enthusiastic and supportive group of runners to help you reach your goals.

What do we ask from you?

• A full year commitment to the game. Maintaining consistent participation is crucial for team balance and camaraderie.
    • A realistic mileage goal. Hopefully something that is challenging, but attainable. We use the goals to help make balanced teams, and nobody likes a ringer. After January 1, you'll be able to adjust your goal one time before June 30, if needed.
    • Keep your running log up-to-date. If you don't keep your day-to-day running log on Running Ahead, we ask that you log on and track your total miles for the previous week no later than the following Tuesday.
    • Give advanced notice (PM to your team captain or a game admin) if you will be on an extended vacation, leave of absence, or need to be placed on Injured Reserve (IR). If you are in one of these categories, you will not have to worry about updating your log. Members who have not been in contact with their team captain or game admins and haven't updated their log for 3 consecutive weeks (or 2 weeks at the start of the year) can be moved to individual status for the remainder of the year.

Important Notes

• You can sign up as a team member or an individual. If you're an individual and a team has an opening due to losing a player, you may have the option to join a team early in the year, if you choose.
    • Decisions made or opinions expressed by the game admins are not necessarily those of RunningAHEAD, LLC, which is providing hosting for the game but NOT overseeing day to day operations. Also, running is dangerous and stuff. Please don't do anything that could compromise your health for the sake of a game!

How to Sign Up

Click the  Join button on the 2018 in 2018 page. Do NOT PM or email us. Team generation and mileage counting will be automated this year (hooray!), so you need to be in the system for it to work properly.

Team sign up ends midnight 12/25. If you would like to play as an individual or pinch hitter, you have until January 31st.

Wow, really?? 

Anyway, I'm impressed that you're actually subjecting yourself to this for another year.

Dave

HermosaBoy

Wow, really?? 

Anyway, I'm impressed that you're actually subjecting yourself to this for another year.

Some people are just gluttons for punishment. Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

IK,R? Running the game AND participating in the "Dear Newcomers" thread.

Dave

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I wonder who you could be talking about?

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

We had a 2:19 marathon in the 2017 Game last week. In case anyone might be interested.

HermosaBoy

We had a 2:19 marathon in the 2017 Game last week. In case anyone might be interested.

I would love to be a 2:19 marathoner!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Ha. Maybe next year, you will be on his team and he'll share some training tips.

^^^Sez the guy that ran 90 miles last week. I'd take that over a 2:19 marathon.  I think.

RichardR

Where's the info to be found?

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Where's the info to be found?

Signups will start approximately December 1st.

Quickadder

As one of the many refugees from RW and having taken part in the Masters 60+ mileage game there, I would like to learn more about the game here.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

RichardR

Quick rule primer for anyone interested who was not involved this year....

This game is based on the premise that runners need motivation to meet their goal for the year.  So....

Each runner publishes a yearly goal.

Eric (site admin) runs a computer algorithm to construct teams from all the sign-ups - teams which has as close to equal goals as possible.

The contest is a weekly head-to-head matchup between teams.  Points are available on 4 categories, but the main one is "How much % of its total weekly goal did each team run?"

Points are accumulated through a regular season, with a rotating schedule of matchups.

Then there is a playoff season to determine a year's champion team.

So, all you need to do is sign up, with your goal for the year....

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

...and you have the choice of joining a team, or an individual. The team thing is a lot more fun.

Also, you must use the RA training log. The game pulls the mileage from the logs. There is no other way to play.

Ok I guess the algo will smooth out cheaters. If I am going to be veeery conservative on my goal then chances for me to exceed it are pretty good. Besides, is there any guidance for the goal setting i.e. do you take into account potential taper, injuries, vacation etc? I relatively new to the sport and have never really logged mileage other than during a recent race prep.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

RichardR

Ok I guess the algo will smooth out cheaters. If I am going to be veeery conservative on my goal then chances for me to exceed it are pretty good. Besides, is there any guidance for the goal setting i.e. do you take into account potential taper, injuries, vacation etc? I relatively new to the sport and have never really logged mileage other than during a recent race prep.

The game is for motivation, not prizes.  There is no way to create rules that force anyone into a "Challenging" goal.  So, everyone is on their honor.  The one detail about goals is that the admins reserve the right to manually adjust players goals in the event that they are obviously sandbagging.

Goal-setting:  The game has an IR system built in, so that in the case of injury, your predicted miles do not count against your team when you cannot run.  So, the proper goal would be:

How much I expect to run over the course of the year, taking every thing in my calendar into account?

For example, I know that work is going to be busier in March, July and August than in other months.  I know, therefore, that I won't be able to run as many miles then.  When I figure a yearly goal, I accommodate for that.  The same would be true if someone lived in a cold climate and knew that winter weather impacted their running.

That's my experience and thought, anyway....