What do you feed your four-legged running buddy? (Read 134 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rocky is finally ready to get back into running now that the HW treatment and recovery time is over, yesterday I saved 1.6 miles for him later in the afternoon and he did great. We had a 1 mile cool down walk afterwards, I love how when running he doesn't notice anyone else really (except for his strange suspicious nature with bikes). Anyways, right now I feed him Exclusive Lamb and Rice Adult: http://www.exclusivepetfood.com/dog/ECMD2-0031756.aspx

He does really well on that right now but I want to have him running with me Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by December and that will be 5, 7 and 5 miles so I wonder if by that point he should be on the Exclusive Chicken and Rice Formula Performance Adult: http://www.exclusivepetfood.com/dog/ECMD2-0031386.aspx

What do you all feed your pooches to keep them in the best shape they can be for running partners?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

My four legged friend runs with me pretty routinely, walks a lot, and has done 20+ on trails before.  She generally eats Iams Large Breed.

When she runs with me a lot (fall, spring), I have sometimes switched her to the higher-calorie Pro Plan Sport.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

On the high calorie pro plan, how many times a day does your dog need to eat? I was just getting Rocky into running when the vet found him to be HW positive last May, he was up to 4 miles twice a week so I hadn't had a chance to really think about his diet.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

I just feed her twice a day, but I admit to "supplementing" with treats.  If she's running a lot, she gets 4+ cups a day.  If she's not running a lot, she gets more like 3-3.5, so the change is significant for mine (she is, however, a 90lb dog).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, right now on what he's eating, Rocky eats 1 cup in the morning, 1 cup in the evening and treats throughout the day. I like wellness well bars  treats and the blue wilderness treats. The vet says Rocky is perfect at 51-53 lbs (a cattle dog/lab mix), lean with good muscle definition.

I just feed her twice a day, but I admit to "supplementing" with treats.  If she's running a lot, she gets 4+ cups a day.  If she's not running a lot, she gets more like 3-3.5, so the change is significant for mine (she is, however, a 90lb dog).

PRs

sugnim

We feed our dog Purina One Lamb. Not because it is necessarily the best, but because out of all of the dog foods that aren't made of mostly corn, this one has the most calories.  We giver her 2 heaping cups for breakfast, and 2 heaping cups for dinner.  When we got our dog, she was severely underweight.  We've managed to add some pounds to her frame, but she probably could still stand to gain at least 5 more.  That coupled with her love of trail running means that she needs to eat a food that is very dense in calories.

When we do long trail runs, I always stop mid way and give her a little treat made of rice & peanut butter.  Afterward, she gets treats as well.

Latent Runner

Mine eat lots and lots and lots of grass, supplemented with sticky grain and apples and carrots.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                TammyinGP

I have two labs, 2.5 yrs old, and about 1.5 yrs ago we switched them over to Merrick Whole Earth Farms. They've done real well on it, I'm happy with the positive reviews and lack of recalls. We also supplement about 4-5 times a week with homemade topper of scrambled egg, chicken and whatever leftover plain veggies we might have, such as green beans, carrots, beets, yams, etc.

Tammy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

THAT sounds like a horse Smile.......... though I was referring to dogs, I guess horses are another 4 legged running buddy.

Mine eat lots and lots and lots of grass, supplemented with sticky grain and apples and carrots.  Smile

PRs

Latent Runner

THAT sounds like a horse Smile.......... though I was referring to dogs, I guess horses are another 4 legged running buddy.

Yup, I occasionally take one of the horses out on a long trail run; I run until I'm about to collapse, then I hop on and ride back.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That must be awesome Smile

Yup, I occasionally take one of the horses out on a long trail run; I run until I'm about to collapse, then I hop on and ride back.  Smile

PRs

Latent Runner

That must be awesome Smile

Yeah, works pretty well, errr, except on weekends when there are lots of families on the trails; all the kids want to "pet the horsey".  I always make sure I bring one of the horses tolerant of little kids, but even still, all of the interruptions can turn a two hour run (plus an hour to ride back) into a half-day event.

Fat old man PRs:

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I'd want to pet the horsey too!!! Does your horse just do a fast walk while you run or is it a fast enough pace for him/her to trot at?

PRs

Latent Runner

Lol, I'd want to pet the horsey too!!! Does your horse just do a fast walk while you run or is it a fast enough pace for him/her to trot at?

They pretty much all trot when I run with them (or between two at once, which can be a bit exciting sometimes).  One of the older horses (he's nearly 30 and boarded and I have no idea what his lineage is, but he looks kind of like a long American Saddlebred) has this very interesting gait which I'll call a "walking trot"; he prances as if he's trotting but his forward momentum is so slow he's barely moving.

Fat old man PRs:

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That is probably beautiful to watch him do it, is it kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opl5o2p7QBA , I just grabbed a video after typing American Saddlebred slow trot

PRs