Heart issues - looking for input from Doctors/Nurses or someone with same issue (Read 2983 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My view: if you are worried about a DVT in a patient, you need to treat it like a medical emergency and have a definitive anwer before the sun sets.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Ask your doc for a copy of your ECG printout, scan it into the interweb and post it here for Trent to analyze.  I'm curious about this no-name abnormality.  Even if the abnormality doesn't have a silly name like Wenckebach block, the abnormality will still have a description in terms of the P, Q, R, S, or T waveforms.  

Get your stuff and a second opinion.  We shouldn't be diagnosing you.  We can give you anecdotal stories and advice but a second opinion is the best course of action when this happens.  And read up and challenge the doctor - I love to be a pain in the ass when I visit them.

Of course, sometimes we all just want anecdotal feedback as a means to cope Approve .  In that case, do both.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
      JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Get your stuff and a second opinion.  We shouldn't be diagnosing you.  We can give you anecdotal stories and advice but a second opinion is the best course of action when this happens.  And read up and challenge the doctor - I love to be a pain in the ass when I visit them.

Of course, sometimes we all just want anecdotal feedback as a means to cope Approve .  In that case, do both.

I appreciate everyone's input, but I don't expect any diagnosis.  The comment about DVT was especially useful, as I didn't have a name for it, so I hadn't done any reading on it . 

Regarding the doctor not treating it like a medical emergency... That is a bit of a puzzler, except he didn't and still doesn't think it is a DVT.  But still...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My view: if a DVT in a patient is even a remote possibility, if the thought of one even enters your mind, you need to treat it like a medical emergency and have a definitive anwer before the sun sets.

Fixed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To my mind, when a potentially life-threatening diagnosis is a remote possibility, it is incumbent to prove that it is not present. 

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Went and checked into the emergency room last night.  Sure enough it was a DVT and one clot was in my leg and the other had traveled into my lung.  They ran a million tests and finally cut me loose after one night in the hospital.  They set me up with a regimen of blood thinners (Coumadim and Lovenox) to take care of it.

I think the doctors and nurses were pretty amused that I've been running and trying to put on miles with a DVT in my leg and a clot in lungs.  Since I didn't die or anything, it seemed pretty funny to me too.

Edit: Another curiosity, my reverse T-wave EKG, corrected itself to a normal pattern after the first round of blood thinners.

xor

Wow.  Good that they caught it.

I see that this thread has percolated for over a month.  Yikes.  That is, as we say, not good.

Take care.

Coumadin has some side effects.  Pay attention to them.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Loves the outdoors

Glad you are ok.

A bit freaked out that it apparently took 20 days to discover the cause and that a thread on the internet actually helped. Would you have gone to the emergency room anyway?

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  So.  To my point about the internet not being a place to get a diagnosis?  Yeah.  Well.  I was wrong.  Apparently it can be better than your flesh and blood doctors.

20 friggen days.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Another curiosity, my reverse T-wave EKG, corrected itself to a normal pattern after the first round of blood thinners.

Yeah.  That may be because the original abnormal finding on ECG that nobody could name for you was the result of your pulmonary embolus.  PEs do that sort of thing.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I had a really bad pinched nerve I suffered through (twice) since the marathon in my upper 3-4 vertebra.  Could that effect the brain to heart signals?

You s'pose the "pinched nerve" was actually pain caused by the clot in the lung?

MrH

Yeah.  So.  To my point about the internet not being a place to get a diagnosis?  Yeah.  Well.  I was wrong.  Apparently it can be better than your flesh and blood doctors.

20 friggen days.

I wonder how the doc will react when he hears what he missed.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It depends on who tells him.

MrH

It depends on who tells him.

Do you think it will come to that?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.