Marine Corps Marathon (Read 186 times)

Chris T

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/marine-corps-marathon-sells-out-in-record-time-after-computer-problems/2013/03/27/ddb4b70e-96d2-11e2-814b-063623d80a60_story.html

Marine Corps Marathon sells out in record time after computer problems

By Lenny BernsteinWednesday, March 27, 5:10 PM

The 2013 Marine Corps Marathon sold out in a record 2 hours 27 minutes Wednesday, but not before problems with its computerized registration process led to widespread complaints from people trying to sign up for the venerable 26.2-mile footrace.

Runners trying to secure one of the 30,000 spots in the 38th running of the marathon next fall reported that they were kicked off during the registration process or received repeated “error” messages. The marathon’s Facebook page was awash in complaints from frustrated runners.

Michael Murray of Silver Spring said in an interview that he was booted out of the registration process twice and reached a point when the system froze on a third try.

“In the days of cloud computing, in the days of Google and Amazon, who deal with millions” of users, “there just has to be a better solution than this,” he said. Murray said he will try to enter marathons in Richmond or Baltimore instead.

Race director Rick Nealis said the company that operates the system, Active.com, told him the demand for the $99 spots exceeded its capacity to process the requests. Nealis called the delays “an embarrassment for the Marine Corps Marathon as an organization,” which prides itself on organizational expertise.

Nealis said he would review the registration process for next year. “What we experienced this year will not be what we will be experiencing in 2014,” he said.

Demand for spots in big-city marathons across the United States continues unabated, despite price increases and larger fields. Some, like the Houston and New York marathons, have adopted lottery systems, and the Boston Marathon has tightened standards that runners must meet to qualify for the race.

“The People’s Marathon,” as the Marine Corps marathon race bills itself, sold out in 2 hours 41 minutes last year, in a little more than 28 hours in 2011 and just under six days in 2010. It is one of the few marathons that offers runners the opportunity to secure spots from others who withdraw before the Oct. 27 race. It also reserves about 13,500 spots for runners who raise money for charities, active duty military personnel, runners who have deferred from previous years and others.

""""The 2013 Marine Corps Marathon sold out in a record 2 hours 27 minutes Wednesday, but not before problems with its computerized registration process led to widespread complaints from people trying to sign up for the venerable 26.2-mile footrace."""

-- Not surprised this occurred considering the demand that exists for this race now.  Unfortunate, but still, not surprising.

-- My guess that the 'fix' will become a NYC-style Lottery system.  "Anyone can get in, but you have to be lucky, not timely"

(Or, like everything else in life, if you have the $$$$ and you really want to do it, just buy your way in.) :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mostly harmless

I'd like to see more big marathons use a qualifying system, like Boston.

MCM will NEVER go to a qualifying system.  They have always billed themselves as "The People's Marathon".

They used to use a lottery system but changed to first come first serve in 2004. They should give serious consideration to switching back. At least then it would be random luck of the draw.

I was one of the lucky ones, it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes but I got in.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

MCM will NEVER go to a qualifying system.  They have always billed themselves as "The People's Marathon".

They used to use a lottery system but changed to first come first serve in 2004. They should give serious consideration to switching back. At least then it would be random luck of the draw.

I agree.  A lottery system would probably be best with this much demand.  Glad you got in.  Guess I should have been more persistant! Smile

Good luck with your training and in the race.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Mostly harmless

I agree.  A lottery system would probably be best with this much demand.  Glad you got in.  Guess I should have been more persistant! Smile

Good luck with your training and in the race.

Thanks! Like others have mentioned, you can find bibs for sale. I hope it works out for you too!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

RunSaintRun

I was persistent.... got in three times to fill out the form, only to be kicked out each and every time... dropped connection, whatever. Very frustrating and disheartening.  Especially after 2.5 hours of sitting in front of a PC.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Yeah, I know.  Is Boston the only one that does that?

CaitDS

1.  Registering for MCM was the most stressful experience I've had in months.

2.  I can't believe I actually got in after an hour of hitting refresh, entering all my info, being booted off, repeat.

3.  Why do races still use Active.com?   Everybody hates Active.   They are fresh off of botching the Chicago Marathon registration.  Does Active do anything well, aside from tricking people into scam magazine subscription trials?  Active.com is the antithesis of the efficiency , organization and lack of failure associated with the U.S. Marine Corps.

4.  Hotel recommendations?  Smile

Julia1971

I didn't get in either.  Sad  But, I'm guaranteed for NYCM so don't expect any tears to be shed for me.  Smile  And, in fact, I felt a little guilty trying to get in when I already had another fall marathon in my back pocket.  But, I'm sure bib transfer will be an option come summer if I decide I'd rather do MCM instead.

Congratulations to all you internet connection and refresh button champs!

CMJHawk86

I got in after trying for over two hours, so I was probably one of the last runners in. Smile

Luckily i am local so hotels aren't an issue.

CaitDS

I got in after trying for over two hours, so I was probably one of the last runners in. Smile

Luckily i am local so hotels aren't an issue.

Any tips for a hotel that is on the blue line, easy access to start/finish and the expo?   Thanks!

Bucky.01

It took me 16 minutes to get through, and even then I was freaking out. Can only imagine how well I would have handled it if I had to try for two hours.

Docket_Rocket

It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes (although slightly less time than Chicago's) but I was able to register.

Good luck to those seeking bibs!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just go run the course yourself and record your time.

Be careful though.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes (although slightly less time than Chicago's)

That's a fantastic time. You should retire now.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.