Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

I guess I should post the race I hope to break 90 min - the Martinsville Half in Va on March 26th.

Did a 10k tempo at 90 min HM pace today.  Went suprisingly well, nice and controlled.  It was on very fresh legs though. I'll probably try it again in a couple weeks.

I think my first attempt is going to end up waiting til May 1

Did a 10k tempo at 90 min HM pace today.  Went suprisingly well, nice and controlled.  It was on very fresh legs though. I'll probably try it again in a couple weeks.

I think my first attempt is going to end up waiting til May 1

nice Big grin

only just over 2 weeks till my HM now.  I've dropped 2.6kg in 3 weeks and I'm feeling pretty good for it.

Turbolegs

Nader - I guess its too early to start a Sub-90 Minutes for 2012 (or 2013 even) thread .. but if and when you do (or someone else does), i am gonna put my name in the hat. Right now, i have to do a sub-120 Smile And since i am "settling down", i will be polite and say sub-2 hours.

Nevertheless, its awesome to see so many guys/gals here go for it ... i am gonna follow this thread with as much interest as i follow the sub-3 hour full mary thread.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Nader - I guess its too early to start a Sub-90 Minutes for 2012 (or 2013 even) thread .. but if and when you do (or someone else does), i am gonna put my name in the hat. Right now, i have to do a sub-120 Smile And since i am "settling down", i will be polite and say sub-2 hours.

Welcome

I'm in this scrum and I would not bet my lunch money on making it. So what. It will be worth trying and failing. Looking forward to seeing you next year.

I'll hopefully push myself a little harder just by being on the list. I think what I'll probably learn is how hard it is to shave those 5+ minutes off my PR

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Matt_B

Add Matt_B to the list for the Tom King Half Marathon on 3/12. This is also the same race James_H is running on 3/12.

Turbolegs

Welcome

I'm in this scrum and I would not bet my lunch money on making it. So what. It will be worth trying and failing. Looking forward to seeing you next year.

I'll hopefully push myself a little harder just by being on the list. I think what I'll probably learn is how hard it is to shave those 5+ minutes off my PR

Thanks Dreamless Sleep - you are almost there so i am sure you can tease out the extra 5 minutes !! All the best. My next half marathon is on 28th May (its part of the Sundown Marathon here in Singapore that usually starts at 00:00, while the half starts at 9:00PM) - i hope to be in shape to do 1:54 or less.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Nevertheless, its awesome to see so many guys/gals here go for it ... i am gonna follow this thread with as much interest as i follow the sub-3 hour full mary thread.

Definitely interested in following your progress.  Put in the work.  And for going sub-2, "work" really means "time."

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Nads - I am in for this as well. 

NYC 1/2 Marathon on 03/20. 

I have run the course 2x's ... 2-years ago in 80 degree weather [1:52 -- basically a dejected jog after a blow-up around the 10k mark] and last year with a 1:34 in perfect conditions -- that wasn't 100% as it was 2-weeks out from a target marathon.   After you leave the hills in the park it's a slight downhill grade for the last 5-6m to the finish.  It's a month before Boston so it fits into my schedule perfectly.

2012= under-goaled

From what I hear that course no cakewalk. 

xor

Last year I could have nailed 90 at Surf City. (I ran 1:32ish, but I started out REAAALLY conservatively)

Surf City 2011 is this weekend.  I'm in the full.  I will be lucky to break 4.  Boo.

It'll be later this year before I can pick a race for 90.

Are you (all) in as a hopeful, then? 

xor

Are you (all) in as a hopeful, then? 

No change in approach from what I said at the beginning of the thread.  I want to hit 90 in a race. Then I will try to beat 90.

But my first half split this year (in the race I ran fast last year) will be closer to 120.

Hurt or just tired legs? 

SMART Approach

Damn. What is my problem. I neglected to sign up for my half on May 15 and it just filled up - 5500 runners. This Green Bay Marathon is becoming more popular. I think the Super Bowl is drawing more poeple here. All hotels are filled this week here in Green Bay. Crazy! Last year it filled up (5000) in mid April. I will find a way to get in. I work with the corporation/hospital that sponsors it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com