Do you have a GPS? (Read 6909 times)

eric :)

Hi guys, As I start work on importing GPS, I need to take a survey of what you're using: 1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help! eric Smile
      Thanks for tackling this. Can't wait to stop using multiple log sites. I have Garmin Forerunner 305. PC with Windows XP Firefox 2.0.0.2. I like the features SportsTrack offers, if you are familiar with that program. Might be easier for you to play with this site than having me list what it offers. I am bound to miss something Smile Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Eric Garmin ForeRunner 201 (not enough money for a 205!) Windows XP SP2 IE7 ... and yes, I will upload. Thanks Neil Smile

Running ... just keep running!

vicentefrijole

1. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Yes, please! 3. Mac OSX (10.4.8) (with Firefox) 4. For the most part, I like the way that MotionBased has set up the import. You plug in, push the button, and then you can still surf the rest of the site while it works on importing your data. (That might be tricky though?) It would be great if your import tool could collect all the data, including heart rate over time and "laps" (currently I keep track of my mile "lap" splits and simply enter them manually in the "notes" section, and I only am able to enter my max and ave HR), but this might require a major reworking of your data fields? Also, I like how MotionBased allows me to graph different combinations of variables (lap# vs. time, lap# vs. max HR, distance vs. max HR, etc). I'll think some more about this and see if there's anything else I can describe that works well. As always, thanks for working on these great improvements! Big grin
          mikeymike

1. Garmin 205. 2. Yes, if available. 3. 2 computers, both Windows XP SP 2 with IE7. 4. I'm pretty happy with MotionBased as well for analyzing lots of data about a run (lap times, elevation, etc.) as well as the fact that it automatically gives you a map of the run. If there were any way to make that map editable, well that would be just about the coolest thing ever. Generally I just transcribe the workout data from MB into RA which only takes a few secods. I am a bit weird tho in that I don't use the interval feature in RA, so I would just want all my lap data dumped into the notes if possible.

Runners run

derek

1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? If I can, yes, I would want to import the data 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Windows XP Professional 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. For me, it would be more of a convenience so I don't have to manually enter the data. That is, the importing would create the run entry for me. I would also like to be able to map the course. I don't need any extra graphing or analysis capabilities beyong which RA already provides.

Derek

I don't own one, but if this were to be a feature, I would probably get a Garmin Forerunner 205 to import run data. I run Gentoo Linux on my main computer, and there are several tools for pulling data off of Garmins from it. I also have Windows XP on a laptop if that would be too much of a headache. It should allow uploading of the XML GPS file, turn that into a Course and allow me to save. I don't own one of these, so I don't know how laps and other features work, but I would be looking just to create routes based off of that GPS data.
                  Just adding my interest. Exactly the same as Derek's answers! Gareth.
                    1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? If the functionality were available, I would. If not, I would still use RA to log my runs since not all my workouts are done with my GPS watch. 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Windows XP SP2. 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. I would be perfectly thrilled if RA could import: a. Date b. Time of Day c. Distance d. Duration e. HR Ave and Max Beyond that, I think, would be the ability to import splits/intervals. Far beyond that would be the ability to actually import GPS data and interact with the RA map system.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. eric Smile
                      1. Garmin 305 2. Yes 3. MacBook OS 10.4.8 Firefox. 4. something cool...which is what I know will happen. I have faith! Smile Jilly
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                        1. Garmin forerunner 305 2. Yes 3. XP SP2, IE7 / Opera 4. Map the log file. GPX replay (If two or more take part of same race we can have "dot race" on a map). Anders

Denmark

Wasatch Speedgoat

1. Garmin Etrex 2. Not sure 3. Windows XP Pro SP2 4. Doesn't matter...I'll take whatever it gives. I have software that can convert the raw GPS data into anything i need.

Life is short, play hard!

Hi guys, As I start work on importing GPS, I need to take a survey of what you're using: 1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help! eric Smile
                            1. None, but sometimes I am using the austrian GIS data system. 2. Maybe. Some google earth or other GIS system? 3. Linux, FC1 with extras. 4. I actually would like an export system! Just for google earth would be OK.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? Absolutely 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Mac OSX 10.4 (and may upgrade to 10.5 when available) 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. To view my maps, track my laps (which you call intervals) and log my activities. It would be great if I could simply upload my data and have it go in automatically as a workout, complete with time of day, running time, distance, map, laps/intervals and weather. I could add shoe info and edit any of the other fields as I currently can. I may also like to turn the map into a standard runningahead map. HR data would also be nice
                              eric :)

Just adding my interest. Exactly the same as Derek's answers! Gareth.
                                Gareth, I've already counted you in on this. After all, you did all the initial work on this. I'm just riding your coat tail Big grin Thanks everyone for the feedbacks. Keep 'em coming!