RW Questions - Set # 3 (boring but interesting) (Read 811 times)

JakeKnight

Since they're a tad dull, I'll toss in a few extra: 1: At what age did you start running? 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

1) Which time? I actually made it about a week and a half into cross-country training in high school before I crippled myself with a knee overuse injury... Okay, so I was swimming 5 days a week, lifting weights 3 days a week, and doing karate 2 days a week when I started that cross-country. I was doing *fine* until I started running... Roll eyes 2) Somewhere between 14:30 and 15:30. But it should be about 16:00. Blush 3) *IF* I'm cross-training, it'll be swimming or the elliptical trainer. But I'm probably resting. Heck, I'm probably on the computer cruising through the RA boards... Big grin 4) Asphalt, sadly. 5) Prefer? Mid-morning. Actually get to? Between school and work, so that would be noon-ish. Depends on the day. Bonus: My ego. Okay, so it's technically not part of the body. But it takes a beating pretty often.

Roads were made for journeys...

bas

1) I started to run occasionaly at age 49 or 50 - that would have made me one of your once-a-week dorks Smile and then forgot about it. At 53 (2 years ago) the addiction became serious. First logged run is from sep 12 2004. 2) *converting pace with cool running calculator* OK, that would be 9 to 11 minutes a mile. 3) Does cycling as a means of transport count? 4) Asphalt 5) Afternoons and evenings are best bonus) So far it's not a matter of 'most often'. It's a sequence: calf (left), knee (right) and now Achilles tendon (right)... bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Scout7

1) Oh, lessee......I started playing soccer at about age 5, but I guess you mean something more, so I would have to say around 15-16. 10th grade. My History teacher convinced me to try cross-country. 2) 7:30-8:30 3) Uhhhh.....hopefully swimming and biking soon. But I'll probably do those on days I am running as well. Actually, an honest answer would be nothing. 4) Asphalt, unfortunately. 5) No preferred time, but I generally run at lunch during the week, morning on weekends. 6) Shins and thighs. Right now, they're healing from all the thorn bushes from my trail race the other weekend. I didn't realize how much I had gotten shredded, due to the numbness from the cold water. Long story.
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

1: At what age did you start running? 22 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 8:30 - 9:00 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? remote control curls 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? asphalt 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). 6:00 PM And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.) I haven't had any repeated injuries yet, just one VERY slow recovery. Survey master: where are your answers? Tongue
            RunningHammer

1. 5 months ago would make me 35 2. 8:30 - 9:00, probably a bit too hard though so should be about 9:30 at current fitness level. 3. None - cycling to work? Tongue 4. Pavement (asphalt?) 5. Very early morning if i can, at sunrise Have to watch my left achilles most closely, but no serious injuries yet, touch wood!

Dog-Love

Since they're a tad dull, I'll toss in a few extra: 1: At what age did you start running? At age 22 to stop smoking 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 10:00 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? weights or x-country ski 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? trails 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). high noon And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.)
                my darn knees...I have got to drop 10 lbs
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

My dogs are fast, not me

1: At what age did you start running? 6 weeks before my 41st birthday, so 40. 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? Around 12-12:30 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Walking the dogs, yoga 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? Asphalt 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). First thing in the morning. I drink a cup of coffee, feed the dogs, and head out the door. I'm loving daylight savings as it's not so dark in the mornings now. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? Haven't really had an injury, per se, as I've only been at this 2.5 months, but I have had a cranky knee that has had me reduce my running for a week last month.

Robin

1: At what age did you start running? 14 (However, that is not the same as asking how many years have I been running. I ran for eight years, then quit when I went to Vietnam, college, and started a family, got lazy, blah blah blah. Didn't start again until three years ago at 52. Yes, I know--more than the question asked, but I didn't want to leave the impression that I have been running for 41 years). 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 8:15 - 8:30 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? None 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? Asphalt 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). Right after work (5:30-6:00) And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.) Haven't had repeat injuries in a long time.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                      1.) 14, but like Pron8r, have not been training consistently that whole time. Always ran some though. 2.) 7:20 - 9:20. Big range. Depends on a lot of things. 3.) None, or playing with my kids. 4.) Asphalt. 5.) Prefer? I dunno, 2 PM. But 90% of the time I'm running at 5:45 AM Bonus: None really. If I had to pick one I'd say my left foot.

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

JakeKnight - still waiting for your answers... If you're going to put a survey out, you gotta answer the questions too. It's in the rules! (:: Furiously scribbling into the rulebook the above rule:: )

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

JakeKnight - still waiting for your answers... If you're going to put a survey out, you gotta answer the questions too. It's in the rules! (:: Furiously scribbling into the rulebook the above rule:: )
                          There's a rulebook? Oh, %$#^! (Ahem) 1: Like most people, there isn't a solid answer here. Got halfway serious in the military, and then didn't run for a couple years. Ran a marathon the first year of law school - and then not a step for years. And I mean not a step. Actually "running" by my own definition? About 14 months. A year ago September. 2: Easy day: 9:00-10:00. 3: Nothing lately. Usually lifting, pounding on the heavy bag, looking for bananas. 4: 80% road/20% trail. On the track when Wingz' makes me do her little races. 5: Morning. Almost always. Usually before 8:00. The injury bonus: looking back ... it seems it's always feet. Never knees or hips or legs. Some part of the feet. The right big toe has been popular lately.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

1. 14, 28, 44 (this time it stuck) 2. 8-14, depends a lot on where/how far I run and weather conditions (lightning really sped me up this am Shocked) 3. nada mostly, bike to work occasionally 4. primarily? crushed stone (work track), then concrete, then single-track trails 5. sunrise/sunsets tend to rate pretty high, but there's something about being out when the rest of the world is sleeping... Bonus: Nipples Blush (seriously, you said most often Roll eyes ) Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Since they're a tad dull, I'll toss in a few extra: 1: At what age did you start running? at 13, my dad convinced me to join my middle school cross country team. I hated it. Wink but I got addicted anyway... Smile 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) Like most of the other posters, it varies, but usually I end up at around 9-10min/mile on easy days. 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? I bike to work during the XC off-season (I help coach High School XC and need my car during the season), but other than that, I don't do anything. 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? dirt trails 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). I prefer to run either at 8 in the morning or 6 at night. But it usually ends up being whenever I can sneak it in. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.)
                              My lower legs- usually injured on the trails from falling down. Black eye
                              "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Finished!

1. the first time? or this time? LOL I was a bad high school sprinter...now I'm 32 and just getting started I guess 2. No run is really "easy" for me yet - I'm now running at an 11:30-12:30 pace 3. I've been dreadful and not cross training - my DH is after me to hit the weights - I'll probably convince myself the Gym is not the den of the devil and will get back into weight lifting again in the not too distant future - it's nice to see the pounds slowly coming off and I know the weight lifting will help 4. Concrete - I'm kinda worried whats going to happen when temps start creeping back up again down here - I despise the Dreadmill. 5. First thing in the morning = then I'm "done" for the day and don't have to worry about ruining my run by having food in my stomach Bonus: I'm amazed, when I was a sprinter I had ankle and knee problems - so far so good this time round!
                                Walk + Jog = wog.
                                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry