Benadryl and performance (Read 920 times)

I have a quick question. I had an allergic reaction (not serious just at annoying itchy rash) to something at work yesterday and I ended up taking two doses (6h apart) of 25 of benadryl. When I went to run today, my overall pace was about 30 seconds per mile slower than normal. My urine was almost clear. I'm just wondering if it's normal for benadryl to have an effect on performance like this. Thanks Terie MTA: last does was right before bed because I started to itch again.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know about the day after, but if I run while Benadryl is in my system I feel VERY sluggish and dried-out...cotton-mouth big time. Never noticed any effect on urine, but haven't thought to pay any attention. I mostly take Benadryl at bedtime if I need it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Are you sure you were slower than normal? Or maybe just felt slow? When I look at your log - quite a few of your runs were fairly close to the same pace as the one you did today.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

For that route, yes I was slower than normal.
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

A Saucy Wench

uh yeah. Benedryl slows me down. for at least 12 hours after I take it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Next time, take zyrtec.
              db7

I take 6.25 mg of Benadryl 4-5 times a week for allergies. No effect either way. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is a very low dose.
                    Next time, take zyrtec.
                    Zyrtec is the BEST allergy med I have ever taken.... I know sometimes it can make some folks drowsy, but not NEAR the way Benadryl does. I can't take Benadryl unless I have 12-14 hours I am not busy with..... Sleepy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

db7

I take 6.25 mg of Benadryl 4-5 times a week for allergies. No effect either way. DB
                      works really well for me DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You must have a sensitive system. Good for you, means you need less med!
                          Active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine, which is an antihistamine. While it clears up allergies, it will also make you feel drowsy, hence it is used as a sleep aid (Tylenol PM and others). I will sometimes take a benadryl when i am having trouble getting to sleep. I try not to take one after 1am. I have noticed that the morning after I take a benadryl, I am a bit off when I am running. I have never taken it before running as allergies are not a problem for me. Good luck Bob
                            I believe antihistamines can increase heart rate as well. This would go hand in hand, since your heart rate would be higher than normal, so at a given effort you will be slower.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

If I am taking antihistamines I notice that am a little slower, and legs get crampy even when hydrated (clear urine!).

left-right-left-right-repeat

it makes me sllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp and the day after it feels like I have a hang over. try running at night when most of the stuff is on the ground or after it rains. I got the shots it helped.