Poisin ivy (Read 713 times)

I was cleaning out Virigina Creeper and didn't see the poisin ivy mixed in it. Anyone have any remedies?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Why is it sideways?

Try Zanfel. It's expensive ($40 a tube), but it worked for me. You can find it at Walgreens. http://www.zanfel.com/
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hydrocortizone cream. And a comedy movie - gets your mind off your itch and gives you endorphins to boot!

Roads were made for journeys...

My brother used to get poison ivy really badly and I know he always used Lava soap. I think you can get it at most drugstores or Walmart/Target. Here's what I could find out about it online: 1.Apply the soap dry (DO NOT ADD WATER) to the affected area. 2. Scrub for 2 minutes. 3. Wash off completely with COLD water. If you use hot water, then you may be in for an unpleasant surprise! Note: The residue soap will now contain the urushoil, and when the residue drys it may become sticky oil again. 4. All itchiness should be gone. If not repeat the process. If he washed early enough after exposure sometimes he wouldn't even get a rash. Good luck!
            Benadryl, Aveeno baths and calamine lotion. That's what I told my hubby when he got poison ivy. He decided to take a friend's advice instead and used bleach. It didn't work. We suffered for 6 weeks. He had it on most of his body. The dr. told him the same thing I told him, but gave him prescription allergy meds and a prescription for a med for the itch. By the time he went to the Dr., his stomach looked like one big hive. Doc told him he had an allergic reaction to the allergic reaction.
              Try Zanfel. It's expensive ($40 a tube), but it worked for me. You can find it at Walgreens. http://www.zanfel.com/
              This stuff works great! I get poison at least once a summer and this stuff is wonderful, dries it up a lot faster.

Michelle

Don't stcratch!!
                  I have used this stuff too, last year. This year it has not worked all that well, but maybe it is because it is a year old. So off I go to CVS!! This is the worst case I have ever had!! It just keeps popping up in new places!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

The ONLY thing I hate about summer. I am still miserable about my poison. I was in a hurry and trimmed a section of my neighbor's yard that I was unaware had Poison Ivy. Well, I was wearing shorts at the time and the trimmer hit the patch of poison and sprayed me with it. I showered within 15 minutes but it was too late. Over the course of 3 days after the exposure I began to break out all over my legs. I ran a 5k race on Saturday with running pants on instead of shorts, so I could hide the poison rash. It's too hot for that!!! I've about had it, I wish it would just go away. I should have spent the $40 and gotten Zanfel, but I didn't think it would last this long. Live and learn. So. Watch out for this nasty little plant....

Michelle

db7

If its bad enough, the MD may give you a medrol dose pack. Really helps. Otherwise, the advice you have gotten here is all you can do. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ