After the run (Read 1138 times)

BeliasX

Never Back Down

Hello, I'm new here. I'm BeliasX, i prefer not to use my real name Wink. Now back to subject, i was wondering which exercise is best out of theese 2 i made up for building ''tremendous'' muscles Big grin Exercise 1 All these are done at once. 50 pushups 50 crunches 50 one legged squats, both legs Exercise 2 You start with x and raise with y 2 push ups 2 crunches 2 Squat jumps You raise with 2 each time your done.
    "No pain, no gain."

Just Be

You're probably gonna hurt yourself with those 1 legged squats. Both types of exercises will build endurance, but you might have more luck getting more intensity out of the first type. Do you have access to a gym? Just lift heavy if so, 2 to 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps to failure for the upper body, same set/rep ratio for teh lower body but don't lift quite to the point of failure.
      BeliasX

Never Back Down

You're probably gonna hurt yourself with those 1 legged squats. Both types of exercises will build endurance, but you might have more luck getting more intensity out of the first type. Do you have access to a gym? Just lift heavy if so, 2 to 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps to failure for the upper body, same set/rep ratio for teh lower body but don't lift quite to the point of failure.
        I'm avoiding to use weights, i prefer natural training and exactly how will thoose squats hurt me?
        "No pain, no gain."

Just Be

1 legged squats put a lot of stress on the entire leg - bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. If you are just starting out you should work your way up to them using 2 legged squats before you graduate to 1 legged if that is your goal. What's not natural about weight training?
          BeliasX

Never Back Down

1 legged squats put a lot of stress on the entire leg - bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. If you are just starting out you should work your way up to them using 2 legged squats before you graduate to 1 legged if that is your goal. What's not natural about weight training?
            Its not your own weight? It's better to gain true strength from training natural, lifting your own weight, at least thats what i think Smile I'm used to squats from basketball trainings so thats not a problem.
            "No pain, no gain."

Just Be

Fair enough. For me, my own weight limits my ability to build my strength to the level that I desire / require. When I was in the best shape of my life I needed weights to increase my leg strength beyond what plyometrics and bodyweight exercise alone could afford me. I focused heavily on hack squats and straight legged dead lifts for lower body, and after 1 year of building up muscle mass without adding much weight my 400 meter time dropped by about 2 seconds. I've just started working them into my routine again, though slowly because I don't want to ruin my ability to run the harder workouts. When base starts in Oct/Nov I'll go at it with more intensity!
              BeliasX

Never Back Down

Its good that your looking bright at the future instead of giving up, have you added intervall training with thoose squats? If you only build muscles and dont use them, what are they good for?
                "No pain, no gain."

Dave

Check out: http://www.crossfit.com They do one legged squats but only infrequently and in relatively small sets. I can't do them. I think you'd be better off with something like sets of burpees or burpee pull-ups. Works the whole body. Body weight squats (both legs) are a great substitute. Why not modify Exercise 1 to something like: 5 sets of: 10 - burpees 20 - crunches 30 - body weight squats If you can walk the next day, let me know.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

BeliasX

Never Back Down

Check out: 5 sets of: 10 - burpees 20 - crunches 30 - body weight squats If you can walk the next day, let me know.
                    Thanks i will try it out, walking next day? I will be running next day Wink
                    "No pain, no gain."

Dave

I only say that because the squats absolutely shred my hamstrings. There's another exercise on there called Thrusters (combination weighted squat, overhead press) that are even worse. Good luck and let us know what you think.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Just Be

Its good that your looking bright at the future instead of giving up, have you added intervall training with thoose squats? If you only build muscles and dont use them, what are they good for?
                        Oh yeah, I absolutely do interval training. That's why I take it easy on the leg work at the gym, because I don't want to have to give up intensity at the track because I'm too sore. But starting in the fall when I cut back on intervals I'll go all out with my leg strength program.
                          If your goal is "tremendous muscles", you'll need to use weights. Stick with standard two legged squats but add weight and substitute bench presses for the push ups. To develop muscle mass you need to physically break down the muscles so they can repair themselves. Exercising without weights won't do it. Tom
                            Bodyweight only exercises can build good mass and great strength (male olympic gymnasts anyone?). You have to use harder exercises than you've chosen though. The one legged squats are as good as you can get with bodyweight only (although you can also add glute ham raises, but they're really ridiculously hard and easy to hurt yourself with), but instead of pushups, do pullups, dips and isometric holds (planche training, check these out, and this).
                            Brandon

Wobblebottom

Just looked at the Planche training link.......................................Your having a laugh!
                                Your having a laugh!
                                Huh? No... The youtube link may not be the best example of planche training, but it obviously worked for him. The other link is a well respected oft-quoted article by a former olympic coach.
                                Brandon