Learning to Use Garmin 305 (Read 1110 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm getting a Gramin 305 soon, and I'm wondering how I will ever learn how to use it. From reading posts, it looks as if there's a lot to it! I would like to keep all my data online, and there appear to be several websites I can use. Do you have any suggestions about where a newbie should start?? TIA! Teresa
      Hi Teresa, There are complicated things you can do, but the basics of it are pretty easy. Turn it on, stand around (outside, where you can see the sky) until the satellite screen goes away, then push start and go for your run. It'll tell you your time, distance, and pace. There's lots of other stuff you can see while running, but the basics are right there up front. So don't be intimidated! One thing lots of people do is set it to automatically start a new lap each mile. This is outlined in the manual somewhere, though, so it's not too tricky. Have fun!

sean

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Teresa, it's surprisingly user-friendly and pretty self-explanatory once you start playing with it. I think figuring out Motion Based is almost trickier. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The best way to learn to use it is by playing with the settings, going for a run, and deciding if you like that or not. Then before the next run, you play with the settings again. Sooner or later, it will be set up the way that you like it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

btb1490

The unit also comes with software that make configuring certain things a bit easier. My only other suggestion is to find some 10 year old kid to configure it. They seem to have a knack for doing stuff like that.... (programming VCR's, Ipods, cell phones, etc...) Wink Have fun!
              Make sure you keep it charged!!! I learned this lesson on Sunday. Meeting up with some others from RA we set out to do a run and I just then realized my battery was too low. After the run I was asked what our exact distance and time was and I held my head in shame...I didn't wear my Garmin because of the low battery. Sad

Michelle

Sandi Sue

I learned the same lesson. I was very excited to show off the Garmin skills and tell everyone how fast we were running and the battery low signal came on and then the Garmin shut down. The key is to keep it charging when not in use. Big grin

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I put mine on the charger after the run so that I can download my info. I leave it on until it finishes charging. Then I take it off. No troubles yet. (In the whole month or so that I've had it and 3 weeks since I started running again.)

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the input! IT CAME TODAY, but DH is not letting me open it until Christmas. Argh.

Another Passion

IT CAME TODAY, but DH is not letting me open it until Christmas. Argh.
                      GRINCH Tongue

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Dave

Best software out there is Sporttracks. There is a plugin with the new beta software that lets you push some of your runs online but I keep two logs. One on Sporttracks and one here. Here's some tips from a long time Garmin owner: 1. Buy some electrode gel for the HR strap. Keep it snug. If you get weak contact, you'll get high readings until you work up a sweat. 2. Experiment with the custom screens until you find one you like. I run by HR so I have my main custom screen showing 4 fields: Lap Pace, Lap Time, Lap HR, HR. The lap pace is very useful when combined with autolap (I set it at 1 mile). It gives you your pace for the current mile and the lap time field tells you how far into that mile you are. It is much more informative than instantaneous pace since that can fluctuate so much. If you do intervals, hit the lap button manually and it will give you the pace for that lap. 3. Ditto on keeping it charged. I've run into problems though by leaving it on the cradle and finding out that it was accidentally left on in my bag. 4. Virtual partner works great to prevent going out too fast on a race. Other than that, I don't use it much. 5. Turn off the "AUTOSTOP" feature before any timed race. It will skew your time substantially with underpasses, water stops, etc. I think you're going to love it. I spoke with Santa personally and there is a standing Christmas waiver for the 305. Just open it, he'll understand Evil grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I love my Garmin but I don't use hardly any of the features i thought I would. I just use it to keep track of my time & distance. I also like to see my pace. As for setting up workouts and courses, nope. Also, Garmin customer service is excellent. I had to send mine in for a repair. It was 2 months out of warranty but they went ahead anyway and fixed it as if it wasn't.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

<best software out there is sporttracks. there is a plugin with the new beta software that lets you push some of your runs online but i keep two logs. one on sporttracks and one here. here's some tips from a long time garmin owner: thanks for the info, dave! i know a lot of people do this, but i'm wondering why you keep two logs? i kind of like having to wait to get out my garmin - builds the anticipation. 8-) software="" out="" there="" is="" sporttracks.="" there="" is="" a="" plugin="" with="" the="" new="" beta="" software="" that="" lets="" you="" push="" some="" of="" your="" runs="" online="" but="" i="" keep="" two="" logs.="" one="" on="" sporttracks="" and="" one="" here.="" here's="" some="" tips="" from="" a="" long="" time="" garmin="" owner:="" thanks="" for="" the="" info,="" dave!="" i="" know="" a="" lot="" of="" people="" do="" this,="" but="" i'm="" wondering="" why="" you="" keep="" two="" logs?="" i="" kind="" of="" like="" having="" to="" wait="" to="" get="" out="" my="" garmin="" -="" builds="" the="" anticipation.=""></best software out there is sporttracks. there is a plugin with the new beta software that lets you push some of your runs online but i keep two logs. one on sporttracks and one here. here's some tips from a long time garmin owner: thanks for the info, dave! i know a lot of people do this, but i'm wondering why you keep two logs? i kind of like having to wait to get out my garmin - builds the anticipation. 8-)>

Dave

<thanks for="" the="" info,="" dave!="" i="" know="" a="" lot="" of="" people="" do="" this,="" but="" i'm="" wondering="" why="" you="" keep="" two="" logs?="" i="" kind="" of="" like="" having="" to="" wait="" to="" get="" out="" my="" garmin="" -="" builds="" the="" anticipation.=""></thanks>
                              I like being able to track ALL of my workouts online particularly when traveling (I used to travel extensively for work and likely will again) but I do like the analysis capabilities in Sporttracks (custom splits etc.). My "master log" is the online version that includes stuff that doesn't come out of the Garmin (Treadmill, cross training etc.). I just use sporttracks to look at things I track with the GPS. As an aside, Amazon has the footpod on sale right now for the 305 for $29 with free shipping (down from $99). I don't use the treadmill much but this might just be worth it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I spoke with Santa personally and there is a standing Christmas waiver for the 305. Just open it, he'll understand Evil grin
                                Yup...Santa especially understands when he bought himself a $1500 mountain bike in Nov. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay