Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

Prince of Fatness

Out of curiosity, where is the soda vs pop demarc line?  Seems like it's somewhere in the midwest....Des Moines IA seems to be soda, but MN is pop....

It goes a ways east .... not sure exactly where though.  It's soda where I live but I went to school in Ohio and it was pop there.  So best I can tell the soda-pop line is somewhere between the Lehigh Valley in PA and central Ohio.  Sorry I can't help you more there, Milktruck.  Hopefully others will chime in.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Glad you're having fun at my expense.  I never said "Fat people are weak and make bad choices" nor did I even imply it.

Intentionally or not, yeah you did.

The current obesity epidemic is not just about a whole global population of people suddenly making bad choices about what they eat and do not eat for the first time in history.  It is not about a global amnesia about calories in / claories out.  It is a complex situation that involves a number of factors, some squarely in people's control and many empirically-demonstrated to be outside their control.  Current foodstuffs do mess with physiology and biologic responses; current lifestyles and urban layouts prohibit calorie expenditure; current financial models favor foodstuffs over food; and, current healthcare systems encourage disease treatment over prevention.  Sure, fat people consume more calories than they expend.  But the situation is far far far more complex than that.  And its a damn fucking shame that when there may be evidence that some of the measures out there to control obesity (e.g., diet drinks) may paradoxically promote it. Yet people come along and imply that the obese are obese because they make poor decisions.  Do you think they are drinking the diet coke to get fat, for Phelp's sake?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't let science get in the way of your speculation, guys.

Prince of Fatness

Don't let science get in the way of your speculation, guys.

Sigh. I should have known that it would be you to come up with that.

And what's with "Coke"?  WTF do people down south do when they want a Pepsi?

Not at it at all. 

L Train

I believe they would ask for a Pepsi. 

Prince of Fatness

I believe they would ask for a Pepsi. 

So I would go to a restaurant and this would be the conversation?

PH:  I'll have a coke with dinner.

Waiter:  What kind of coke?

PH:  Pepsi.

Waiter:  OK, coming right out.

Seems kind of odd, but OK.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

So I would go to a restaurant and this would be the conversation?

PH:  I'll have a coke dinner.

Waiter:  What kind of coke?

PH:  Pepsi.

Seems kind of odd, but OK.

WTF is a coke dinner?  A NJ thing? 

But yeah, I think it goes kinda like that. 

Prince of Fatness

WTF is a coke dinner?  A NJ thing? 

I fixed it, a-hole.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

And no wonder you're fat ordering Coke dinners. 

Nice to see you are running again though.  Someday we have a tie to break.

Prince of Fatness

And no wonder you're fat ordering Coke dinners. 

No, I'm fat from ordering beer dinners.  Get it right.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Nice to see you are running again though.  Someday we have a tie to break.

We are light years apart at this point.  I believe that our little race rivalry has run its course.  It was fun while it lasted though.

Unless it's a beer mile.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Idiot.

People in the South don't ask for Pepsi.  That's a Yankee drink.

They may ask for an RC Cola tho.  Conversation goes like this:

PH:  I'll have a coke with my Moon Pie.

Waiter:  Um, you must not be from around here.

PH:  RC Cola?

"run" "2" "eat"

i drink a lot of coke zero.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, ternt! we posted at the same time! woo!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Intentionally or not, yeah you did.

Nah.  But, its true though, there is a problem.  I just get annoyed when people blame one thing without thinking it through.  Diet soda doesn't make you fat.  But the behavior associated with drinking diet soda can.

Hey, believe me, I'm fat.  Used to be thin.  I don't know what happened in the last 5 years, but I'm now 60 pounds more than I was in 2006.

Sure, I got lazy.  Ate more.  Drank more.  And now I'm paying the price with high blood pressure, a higher resting heart rate, "fat clothes" that never seem to fit.  i can't run more than 2 miles now when I ran a marathon in 2005.

But there is no single one factor that I can point to that caused this to happen.  Other than my own shoddy willpower.  I am not going to blame it on society or diet soft drinks.  It's my fault.

Jeff