Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

I still don't really understand using the word "coke" in context.  I always picture a scene like "Whos on First."  

Picture a southerner ordering a drink at a restaurant elsewhere in the country:

Waiter is confused...

on and on.

Ok.  This made me laugh.  A lot.

Jeff

It seems we're all getting it wrong.  According to two women my husband overheard on the train today "there aren't calories in natural things like fruit, there are only calories in manmade stuff".  WTF? 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

It seems we're all getting it wrong.  According to two women my husband overheard on the train today "there aren't calories in natural things like fruit, there are only calories in manmade stuff".  WTF? 

I had a guy tell me once (we were talking about shellfish and how it was lo cal, but high in cholesterol) that shellfish was "ok" because it was "natural" cholesterol vs. some other type (I'm stretching here, I can't remember his exact term since I tuned him out when he uttered the words "natural cholesterol").

So I thought he was an idiot, and just didn't talk food/diet with him anymore.

But, I recall (and no, I don't know where) an article that said something similar.

Is this the case?  Is there a difference?

Jeff

"run" "2" "eat"

This is still reductive reasoning, and it is likely good as it focuses your attention on what you can control. But other people's wills are not what I can control, so this reasoning doesn't help me too much, you see, as someone who cares about the obesity epidemic in America today. So your reasoning is good for solving your problem, but for understanding the causes of that "epidemic" (which is a sort of strange way to call the event of obesity in America), it is highly problematic.

jeff, you're not paying attention. tech tee's obesity is the fault of his own lazy exercise and eating patterns; therefore, one can extrapolate that each person's obesity is due to their individual lazy exercise and eating patterns. it's simple really. the underlying cause of obesity is america today is lack of willpower.

p.s. why are you trying to control the will of other people? if they want to be fat, let them be fat.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Prince of Fatness

Hi Waffles!

Not at it at all. 

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, taterpants!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just get annoyed when people blame one thing without thinking it through.

I have thought about this problem quite a bit.  So too have many of the scientists whose findings the experts on internet message boards would quickly dismiss.  In fact, many of these scientists have thought about the problem MORE than those who critique their results.

Hey, believe me, I'm fat.  Used to be thin

Anecdote ≠ Data

Personal Anecdote ≠ Science

Why is it sideways?

jeff, you're not paying attention. tech tee's obesity is the fault of his own lazy exercise and eating patterns; therefore, one can extrapolate that each person's obesity is due to their individual lazy exercise and eating patterns. it's simple really. the underlying cause of obesity is america today is lack of willpower.

p.s. why are you trying to control the will of other people? if they want to be fat, let them be fat.

Quick question: why does it take willpower not to get fat? What a waste of American willpower. I wonder if there is something we could do about that.

Scout7

Quick question: why does it take willpower not to get fat? What a waste of American willpower. I wonder if there is something we could do about that.

Does it also take willpower to get fat?

Why one and not the other?

"run" "2" "eat"

well, i personally have harnessed by willpower for the greater good of society. if i can do it anyone can. FACT.

"run" "2" "eat"

harnessed by willpower!

haha. oops. harnessed MY willpower.

clearly, i have not harnessed my grammer.

L Train

GO T REX, GO T REX!

Prince of Fatness

Does it also take willpower to get fat?

Well for me it was beer and potato chips that got me fat, not willpower.  I can only speak for myself though.

Not at it at all. 

On the surface, because people need to resist the unhealthy foods they want.  I think what you're getting at, or maybe just what I'm getting at, is why are they craving these things? How much does ubiquitous advertising have to do with it? On that, how much does ubiquitous advertising have to do with the (sort-of) opposite: the desire to be skinny. 

To me the real waste is all the energy consumed in the back-and-forth.  The whole process has got us hog-tied.  I think we were encouraged to play more and to appreciate good portions of good food (and drink) in good company, that would help. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Scout7

Well for me it was beer and potato chips that got me fat, not willpower.  I can only speak for myself though.

But acquiring the beer and potato chips took some level of willpower.  Maybe not a lot, but some.  Because you had to commit to buying them, and then commit to consuming them, and commit to not doing enough activity to burn off the calories.

That's a lot of commitment.