What is your favorite racing distance? (Read 488 times)

mikeymike

Usually the "holy shit how am I going to hang on to this pace??" hits around mile 4-5. The last 5K feels like a 5K.

So true. White knuckles from 4 miles on.

Runners run

joescott

The last 5K feels like a 5K.

Well, the last 5k of a HM is a struggle, but for some reason it feels like a lot slower, more manageable struggle.  And, as the little devil on your shoulder will tell you, all you have to do is ease off the hammer about 20-30 seconds/mile for a mile or two and it will come back to you.  So, you run a 1:20:43 instead of a 1:20:13.  That doesn't feel like nearly as big of a deal as dropping from 17:10 to 17:40.  At least it doesn't to me or my little devil.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

A Saucy Wench

I have a theory on why the half is everyone's favorite--it's the distance we can race best off of pure base training and requires the least specific preparation. Basically if you have a decent base, you can always run a decent half where the races at either end of the spectrum require more specific (and harder) workouts to really race well.

Yes... that is exactly it.  for awhile I was at a point where if a buddy said, hey I am running a half tomorrow, wanna join me?  I could and either come very close to a PR or PR.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Voted 10 mile, as I died in the last 5K of every Half marathon I ran.  Can be run off no taper, can take my time getting into race mode, and kick at the end to make it feel like a race.  Also the 10 miler is long enough to count as a long run, so likely no big adjustment to any training plan needed, if a longer run needed, run a mile warmup and a couple cool down.

joescott

Certainly all you HM people are in the majority.

{modified to fix link to point at the right report}

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Rungry!

I've never run a 10-miler, but suspect that it is the perfect fit for me. I train for HMs, but tank in the last three miles - even on my training runs.

Jen

I am still not sure, but the poll results remind me of an article I remember from few years ago: Click.

Here is an older article: Click.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm a relative novice at running and racing. Now that I've done 5K/10K/13.1/26.2 at least once, the marathon wins for me.

One thing I noticed was how the marathon combines such a variety of experiences into a single event. There are long stretches where you're able to look around you, enjoy the scenery and even make a bit of conversation. And then there are others that get, well, dark.

But I had to pick one reason why I loved running my first marathon, it's probably the mental/emotional challenge that played out after about mile 20. I've never experienced anything quite like that, and I suspect enjoying it so much is evidence of insanity.

#artbydmcbride

I'm with mstuartm, I love the marathon, the distance is challenging and I enjoy the training.

Runners run

I guess the steeple falls in the "Other Important Distance" category.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I thought that the half was my favorite but since I keep signing up for al this ultra cray cray crap, I have to wonder.

steph  

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Half for me. Might change when I do my first full but for now this is where I stand!

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

Feeling the growl again

Voted 10 mile, as I died in the last 5K of every Half marathon I ran.  Can be run off no taper, can take my time getting into race mode, and kick at the end to make it feel like a race.  Also the 10 miler is long enough to count as a long run, so likely no big adjustment to any training plan needed, if a longer run needed, run a mile warmup and a couple cool down.

Yet you are running Monkey.  You are almost as stupid as me.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh my, so many good choices! This is a tough one. I like everything from 5Ks to half marathons and can't leave out the multisport stuff. I'll head up to marathons next year and then that will be a favorite too.

I ultimately voted for the 10K right now, almost picking 10 miles. It's short enough that I can get that lung burning pace that I love about the 5K, but has some extra distance to it to give it some meaty goodness.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Hoban-Jay

I enjoy the 5K, 5M, 10K, 10M, Half and Full Marathons.  And I hope to add a timed Ultra (12/24 hour) within the next 8 - 12 months.  I must admit, I'm quite disappointed in the lack of diversity in distances.  There's such a proliferation of 5Ks and Half Marathons.  Not much of any other distance, which wasn't the case even just 5 years ago.