What is your favorite racing distance? (Read 488 times)

xhristopher

Perhaps this is plausible for untrained 5Kers in the 35-45 minute range?

On a mile (or 800m or 1.5mi), though, any two athletes who are remotely near the same level can push themselves that extra bit to the win. I personally have beaten people in a mile who are 5 minutes faster than me in 5k, and I've seen other people PR by 3 minutes racing a mile against someone versus just practice.

The only ones who are going to PR by 3 minutes in a mile are those used to jogging 10-11 minute miles and have never raced a shorter distance.

Heck, I've never raced a mile.  However, just using "fastest mile during another race," there is no way I will ever EVER PR the mile by 3 minutes.  Unless I have world records in me that my jiggly mid-section is hiding :-P

The only ones who are going to PR by 3 minutes in a mile are those used to jogging 10-11 minute miles and have never raced a shorter distance.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been trying for a 3-second PR for two years.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish I could change my answer to multi sport.  I sure do love running 2 races with a bike race in the middle.  That bike generally nets me an age group award, at the very least (so far am 5/5 in that regard this year.  Duathlon #6 is Sat.).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TripleBock

Revive the dead

5k - hate

4M - OK

5M - love

10k - OK

15k - OK

10M - OK

1/2Mar - hate

25k - hate

Marathon - love