Is it the shoes...hmmm...? (Read 717 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so I have had a month of almost entirely crap runs. The first few after my HM 4 weeks ago I chalked-up to recovery. But no explanation for the past 3 weeks of crummy-ness. I think I may have a theory, though. About a week after my HM I got another pair of my regular trainers, but the all-weather version. Same shoe, different, 2-layered upper. Right away I found them to be stiffer than the regular version, but figured they'd loosen-up and be fine. Here I am with almost 65 miles on them and I still feel like they are stiff. The weird thing is I had this exact model of shoe all last Winter, but I had gone from a higher stability model to these...so I'm kind of thinking maybe that's why I didn't notice. My best runs in recent weeks have been in my lightweight, lower stability trainers. These have stretchier uppers and a more flexible sole. At first I thought it was coincidence that my runs in them were better than my runs in my all-weather trainers, but now I'm starting to think maybe there's something to my theory. Last night I had my first good run in weeks...in my lightweight trainers. Tonite I did 7 easy miles in my all-weather shoes and they were back to being meh. I have an older pair of the same shoe without the all-weather uppers that I am going to wear for my next run...I have a feeling I will be wearing these for my HM in a week, too. So has anyone else had a similar experience with comparable shoes that have a different material upper, even if the rest of the shoe is identical? I almost feel as if I am fighting with the shoe. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You seem to have a pretty good sense about this stuff. I'd say it makes sense. So glad you found out about it before you wore those shoes in your race. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I think I will end up wearing my older version of the shoe for the race (the same shoes I wore for my kickass HM, so they are already kind of my "lucky" shoes). They still have well under 200 miles on them, so they should be OK. I always get leery as I get close to 200 miles, though, as I don't have a good history getting shoes much beyond 225 miles before they are pretty dead for me. k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Not exactly, but I've run with later versions of a good shoe and had the same problem, I just didn't feel good in them and had problems. I loved the original Asics Evolution. The Evolution II is OK but just doesn't feel as good. Same with the 2100-series. I liked the 2100 but each successive model has been more disappointing. The 2110 is OK but not as nice as the 2100, and the 2120 really caused me problems (read my New Mexico Marathon race report), poor fit, blisters, and just doesn't feel good. "New and Improved" isn't necessarily improved!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"New and Improved" isn't necessarily improved!
            I hear that a lot. As soon as the 768 comes out I will buy a pair and if I don't like them as well after a few weeks I will be stockpiling the 767s. Though I hope that doesn't happen. The new model is reported to be almost identical, only with more forefoot cushioning, which is exactly what I am hoping for. k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I forgot to mention one thing--the fit can change too. I might wear a 10 or a 10-1/2, depends on the version. So what fits in a 2100 might be too big in a 2110.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd be surprised if the fit changed too much--I've had great luck with 6 different models of NB shoes in 8D/wide that have all fit me the same in length. Though I hear that they are going to be making their soles for wide shoes wider in upcoming models, rather than just cutting the uppers more generously. I'll be interested to see how that changes overall fit of their shoes.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Maybe it's just Asics then... Anyway, to answer your original question, if the shoe feels noticeably different then yes, it could certainly cause you problems. Anything that feels different can subtly change your mechanics and that could cause the symptoms you described. I've had some discomfort in my right foot for some months now, and it's not that bad, but it's caused subtle changes in my mechanics that in turn are making it tough on my right achilles tendon. Not shoe-related (I think) but the same principle applies. Or it could be entirely unrelated. Sorry.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe it's just Asics then... Anyway, to answer your original question, if the shoe feels noticeably different then yes, it could certainly cause you problems. Anything that feels different can subtly change your mechanics and that could cause the symptoms you described. I've had some discomfort in my right foot for some months now, and it's not that bad, but it's caused subtle changes in my mechanics that in turn are making it tough on my right achilles tendon. Not shoe-related (I think) but the same principle applies. Or it could be entirely unrelated. Sorry.
                    Yeah, my left Achilles has been giving me fits for a few weeks...I think there's something to what you are saying. I really think the stiffer uppers are preventing my foot from moving as naturally as it needs to through my stride. Almost like wearing a shoe with too much stability.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think my theory holds water...ran in my older version of the shoe--non-all weather--much better...I didn't feel like I was fighting the shoe. Guess I will have to save the newer all weather pair for shorter runs until the uppers loosen-up more. As nice as they are in inclement weather, I'm not sure I would buy the upcoming 768 in the AW model, at least not if the uppers aren't made more flexible. k

~ Sarah Kay