Shin splints!! Argghh!! (Read 1170 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

&*$&^*%"^%$( Built back up too quickly following a long lay off.... result = shin splints with warning that stress facture is around the corner. Could not be more depressed. Cry

Sorry to hear it, Purdey. I wonder if lack of sleep has anything to do with you not recovering well in addition to "too much, too soon"?
      I have kids aged 20mths and 4weeks..... What is this fabled "sleep" that you all talk about?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Purdey

Self anointed title

Sorry to hear it, Purdey. I wonder if lack of sleep has anything to do with you not recovering well in addition to "too much, too soon"?
        You are probably right. Trying to do some other stuff to keep me sane and to keep the weight off!

Manjula

From the little bit I have read, shin splints could be beacuse you may be leaning forward a little more than necessary when running. Also if your road is not even (the slight decline from the road to the shoulder - if you are on a highway). Softer surfaces (grass) for a while may help. This is all I can remember from an article I read but I may not be remembering it correctly.
          Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm pretty certain that my shin splints comes from building my mileage too quickly (from 0 to about 40 - 45 mpw) after a long period of inactivity. Through necessity, much of that has been on roads. Someone who has run (on and off) for the last 25 years should have known better. Over enthusiasm is probably my greatest enemy!

From the little bit I have read, shin splints could be beacuse you may be leaning forward a little more than necessary when running. Also if your road is not even (the slight decline from the road to the shoulder - if you are on a highway). Softer surfaces (grass) for a while may help. This is all I can remember from an article I read but I may not be remembering it correctly.
              Wow, that might be an explanation. One of my teammates (who is wicked good, by the way- 4:47 miler and 10:27 two mile as a freshman) gets wicked bad shin spints, and he leans wicked far forward when he runs... I might have to tell him about that... Thanks Big grin
              PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
              Purdey

Self anointed title

Erm.... wicked. Unfortunately I definitely have shin splints and have been reduced to cross-training for the past 10 days (elliptical, bike, rower). To rub salt into the wound I pulled/tore my calf muscle on Fri... this means I'm now reduced to swimming only. Will clock up some serious miles in the pool, but bloody frustrating.

Boy Purdey! Your troubles sure have mounted haven't they? Poor thing! Sad I was the queen of the shin splints when I first started running, and still have soreness periodically. How did you know your tore a calf muscle? OUCH! Heal up! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Purdey

Self anointed title

How did you know your tore a calf muscle?
                    I got duped into playing rounders (sort of a lame Brit version of softball I think). Didn't even think about stretching or warming up and went from zero to flat out sprint in 0.02 seconds. Next thing I know I'm lying on the ground crying like a baby, my calf muscle in bits and unable to put any weight on it. Went straight to physio with calf wrapped in ice. Spent whole weekend taking anti-inflammatory drugs, with leg elevated, compressed and iced. Swum gently, but long, 3 or 4 times. This morning things seem a little better and I can at least put weight on it. Bummer.

Here's what we have our high school cross-country runners do to avoid shin splints: Attach a bicycle inner tube to something sturdy. Sit facing it, and stretch the tube over the top of your foot. Flex your ankle, pulling your toes toward you. Make sure to get full range of motion, and work up to about 100 repetitions every day on each foot. The only shin splints problems we have seen have been in the kids who don't do this faithfully.
                        Question on the shin split exercises --- is this something that we should all do??? I know that I had shin splints a number of years ago and it completely stopped me from running.........now I am at 17 MPW and will shortly be at 20 MPW (no issues - YET) but should I do those exercises daily or every other day or something to avoid shin splints??

Champions are made when no one is watching

Jazz hands!

Question on the shin split exercises --- is this something that we should all do???
                          You can also just do toe taps while sitting down--I alternate ten each side at my desk at work until I can't do anymore. I started when I suspected I might be heading to shin splint territory, and haven't had any issues since.
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            Question on the shin split exercises --- is this something that we should all do???
                            It would be a very good idea to do the exercises. But I don't practice what I preach. Roll eyes

De-slacking in progress

Hmmm- I wonder if this is my problem( bad form- leaning forward to much)- kinda makes sense- I havent had any real problems but the last 2 weeks my shins have been achy. It's been real humid and hot and my I've been struggling through my runs on my country back roads. I might just be leaning forward to much. I have been making sure this past week I stay off edge of the road whenever possible and running on the flatter parts. But the ups and downs of all the hills aren't helping either. I was thinking I jacked up my mileage too much so i backed off but still am dealing with soreness below my knees. Gotta a 5K race Saturday so I'll be taking it easier this week anyway. The pain is starting to concern me. Plus I'm another person that only get at most 5 hrs of sleep on a good day.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14