VERY out of shape beginner (Read 1278 times)

turtle1976

I only started trying to run 3 weeks ago. I'm so out of shape that I can only run about 30 seconds before having to walk again so I am alternating very brief runs with walking and plan to gradually increase the runs and reduce the walking until I can actually do a real run. My calf muscles are absolutely killing me. I've been trying to run/walk every other day, but I'm finding that unless I've given myself 2 days rest instead of just 1 that my calf muscles give out and I have to stop after just 10 minutes (not counting my 5 minutes walk warm-up). If I give myself 2 days rest I can generally do a 30 minute run/walk. So if for now I do 2 days rest instead of every other day, will I ever improve? Or should I push through the pain and try to do every other day despite the pain and problems I'm getting? For what it's worth, I'm a 31 year old woman who is not overweight, just very, very out of shape (never exercised in my life and live a couch potato existence) and I do my run/walks on a treadmill. Should I give up and just walk or will I ever get better at this?
      Here's what I suggest (actually sort of what I did)... -Start by walking a bunch say for like an hour plus (or work up to this if you can't now). -If you have a track, run on the straightaways then walk the curves for say a mile. -then walk to the track... run a mile (about 4 laps) then walk a bunch -after a while just try doing 3 miles coupled with bunch of walking See if you can run at a slower pace.... I know a big problem for me is I though I had to run super hard... see if you can step back a little and go for longer.... Other tips... -Drink Plenty of Water -Get something to entertain you while you walk if needed... ipod or radio -Get proper shoes for your foot...

Vim

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It gets better - WAY better and it probably won't take too long before things start improving for you. First off, you've got the right idea - mixing in walking and running intervals is the perfect way to start. There's a good chance you're running too fast. Generally you should be able to carry on a conversation while you're running. If you can't, slow up a bit and it'll help you go further. Simply increase the running portion just a bit on a weekly basis. Also, you'll want to make sure you're running in the right shoes. Head out to a specialty running store and have them buide you to the right shoes. I was in the same shape (probably worse considering I was WAY overweight) when I started this and last night my run was an easy 10 miles so yes, it totally gets better.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

There's nothing wrong with taking extra rest days when you need them. However, you might want to look for other causes for the need than just being "out of shape." Like suggested above, you may be running too fast. Or your shoes may be old. Or are you perhaps running exclusively on the balls of your feet like you might if you were sprinting? Have you noticed any improvement over the last three weeks? If you have, then write down what you've noticed and refer back to it when you're wondering if you'll "ever get better". You are not the only one (by a long shot!) who could only run about 30 seconds when they started out. That doesn't mean more time won't come later. When you say your calf muscles "give out" while you're exercising, do you mean that they feel so dead tired that you feel you need to stop? If that's fixed with an extra rest day, then take it! What exactly does "give out" mean to you? By the way, you might want to look at the Couch-to-5K program. A lot of people have had success with that program, and it starts out with run/walk segments like you're describing. One big difference, though, is that it starts out with a 10 minute walking warm-up, 10 minutes of runnin & walking combinations, and then 10 minute walking cool-down. In other words, they're suggesting starting out at what you're saying you can only do when you take 1 day rest. It's a 3x/wk program, so yes you'd be running about every other day.

Roads were made for journeys...

Hello Turtle ! I started running this past November and was just as discouraged as you are. I'm 53 and thought I was in good walking/muscular shape. But . . . I could only run 15-30 seconds before I had to walk because my chest was on fire. I remembering suffering for at least 2 months, then boom! one day I realized I was actually running comfortably. Now I run 30 minutes (easily) without stopping. So you will improve. Running will even become easy and fun. Shocked You're already doing the most important thing: listening to your body and taking it slow. Be sure to always warm up and cool down for at least 5 minutes. And stretch after you run when the muscles are warmed up. Stretching will take a lot of soreness away almost immediately. You might want to keep your run/walk time to 20 minutes until you can run 5 or 10 minutes easily without stopping. And run SLOWLY. My biggest problem was going too fast. It was a relief when I slowed down to not much more than a fast shuffle. Congratulations on starting the running life! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress, and don't forget to make your running log public so we can see how you're doing. Be patient, it does get much easier. Paul
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

It DOES get better. I started from scratch a year ago October. I did the Couch to 5K program, also. If you try that, don't feel bad if you have to repeat days or weeks! I was so out of shape that it took me quite awhile to get to where I could run 20 minutes straight. It's worth the effort, though - now I can run over an hour, and it's less effort for me than when I was where you are right now! I'm always telling people that if I can do it, ANYONE can.
              Lisa3.1

Hi Turtle, and welcome. I, too, registered with ra just a few days ago. I used to run YEARS ago. I am 31 also. I have a two year old that I "run" around with, and I am determined to run again, and much longer distances, and in cold as heck temperatures in Minnesota, that's something else I have to get used to. SOmeone from the other forum referred me to C25k also. Lisa
                Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Welcome, Turtle! I'm also 31 and funny thing is, my high school nickname was TURTLE (which is funny because I've always been hyper). It will get better. I'm in W7 of a second attempt at C25K (got injured after "graduating the C25K" and took R & R and now restarting). You'll be amazed at your own progress if you stick with it. You can do it! Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

I fell victim to trying to run too fast and too far, too soon. Bad, bad combo that is pretty much a formula for a brief and unpleasant running experience. After several false starts I walked for about a year to acclimate my body to regular exercise, and my next attempt at running was successful. I actually started out by following Galloway's run/walk technique, and used it to complete my first marathon last fall. I was very cautious and conservative when starting out, because I wanted to make sure I didn't repeat my previous startup failures. It was important for me to analyze discomfort, to differentiate between fatigue and actual pain. Fatigue is fine, but ignoring acute pain can lead to injury and downtime. When starting out, the better part of valor is discretion. If you're not sure I would play it safe and back off. Congrats on a great choice, keep up the good work.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

milkbaby

Congrats on deciding to take the first step -- getting started is the hardest part, so good job! Modal has great advice. If you were truly a non-exercising couch potato before, it is good to prepare for becoming a runner by first becoming a walker. Walking is harder then most people believe, and running is harder than walking but you can do it if you build up to it! Try walking brisk walks building up from 5 to 10 minutes until you can walk for 30 minutes or more. That will help build up the neglected muscles and connective tissues as well as help your cardiovascular system get used to the much higher oxygen demand that exercise requires. Then when you can walk briskly for 30 minutes or more, try following a learn-to-run beginner's plan like one of these: Coolrunning Couch-to-5k (C25k plan): http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Runner's World Beginning Runner Plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-0,00.html Or check out any beginner's or how-to-start running books from the library. Good luck; you can do it!
                      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Just Be

milkbaby, interesting user name! Big grin BTW: I *love* your avatar. For many reasons, but she reminds me of Imogen Heap. Big grin

Beatin' on the Rock

Not to inundate you with admonitions, but slow is the way to go. I used to think that if I wasn't sprinting, I wasn't running. Then I found these guys and they told me to back WAY off, and I did, and now it's easy to run farther than I'd ever hoped. One more web site for you to peruse: runeasy.com Be patient with yourself, and you'll get wherever you want to go Big grin
                          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                          ch37082

This is my very first post on this site, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. I started the Couch to 5K program last June at a weight of 280 pounds. I could barely do the 30 second runs, and I had to repeat several weeks. This morning I weighed 239 pounds and ran 10.6 miles. I am slow-- about 14 mm on my long runs, but I am doing it. Run on!
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Not to inundate you with admonitions, but slow is the way to go. I used to think that if I wasn't sprinting, I wasn't running. Then I found these guys and they told me to back WAY off, and I did, and now it's easy to run farther than I'd ever hoped. One more web site for you to peruse: runeasy.com Be patient with yourself, and you'll get wherever you want to go Big grin
                              Sally, do you mean www.goruneasy.com? runeasy.com is a site selling software, so I Googled and found this other site. Teresa

Beatin' on the Rock

Sally, do you mean www.goruneasy.com? runeasy.com is a site selling software, so I Googled and found this other site. Teresa
                                Oopsypatoopsy Tongue YES! That's what I meant. Good music mixes there, too!
                                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.