Deleting my account? (Read 199 times)

AnthonyNaprstek

Since joining this awesome site, I have changed an am no longer in need of this site. How do I delete my account please?

AbbyDog

Go to Options, Log Preferences, and select Keep my running log private. Otherwise, I don't see a way to delete unless you violate the terms of use.

rlopez

Yes, if the idea is that you don't want your info publicly accessible, just set your log to private and change your account name from Your Actual Legal Name to something cute... then walk away. All will be well.

"Ask me how I know."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But if you really insist, Eric Smile will delete it completely for you.

BeeRunB

There really should be a delete account option, with no reason having to be given, or having to ask someone to delete it. It's a standard function on professional websites. But it might be impossible to code it into this forum platform. At the very least, it should be very clear upfront before you create an account that it can't be deleted and that once you're in, you're in forever. It should also be upfront that posts can't be deleted, unless you go through each one and replace what you wrote with "deleted."  I think it it would be better for business.

#artbydmcbride

Welcome to the Hotel California.....

Runners run

No Talent Drips

"Should" is a dangerous word.

Dei Gratia

One should safely assume that anything they put online may be there forever. If you can't handle that thought, don't sign up for the account. The same goes for people that don't want to be listed in race results. Don't run the race. Don't ask the race director to remove your results.

There really should be a delete account option, with no reason having to be given, or having to ask someone to delete it. It's a standard function on professional websites. But it might be impossible to code it into this forum platform. At the very least, it should be very clear upfront before you create an account that it can't be deleted and that once you're in, you're in forever. It should also be upfront that posts can't be deleted, unless you go through each one and replace what you wrote with "deleted."  I think it it would be better for business.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Feeling the growl again

There really should be a delete account option, with no reason having to be given, or having to ask someone to delete it. It's a standard function on professional websites. 

It is not a standard feature in the message board/forum arena.  At least not on the many I have been on.  I've always been a bit curious on that, other than the chaos resulting if it pulled all of your prior posts and rendered entire threads gibberish.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

It is not a standard feature in the message board/forum arena.  At least not on the many I have been on.  I've always been a bit curious on that, other than the chaos resulting if it pulled all of your prior posts and rendered entire threads gibberish.

Well that and people accidentally deleting their account.  If I'm Eric Smiley I don't think that I'd want that headache. At a minimum you'd want some kind of lag period before the account is actually deleted.

Not at it at all. 

BeeRunB

The old world of forums, yes, I agree. But Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, G+ and all new social sites are at their heart just message boards, but are of the modern era, and all give you a lot of control over your accounts and your posted content.  It's kind of expected these days. People delete posts on those boards and it's not chaos---it's control over your posted content. Seems to me that the modern web user doesn't care too much about old posts anyway.  I consider RA to be edging into the modern era of message boards with its running log, but  I imagine people that aren't members yet (but are considering joining) seeing posts that read "Please Delete My Account" might get the impression that this website lacks a bit of privacy,  does not give you any control, or makes it a hassle to get out after a trial run. Why would someone have to ask publicly to have their account deleted? At the very least, the policy and procedure to do so is very unclear. There's nothing in the terms or help, except that Eric can delete us if he sees fit for violations.   Like I wrote, adding delete functions to this type of message board software might not be possible. I like RA, have enjoyed being here for 8 years, and support it with subscription and donations, and want to see it continue to succeed. Mainly for selfish purposes--this is home. I keep seeing these "Delete My Account" posts, and think this particular issue needs to be modernized, as people expect a certain level of control over their accounts and posted content. If it can't be, it helps to have it explained in the terms of service and help.

Prince of Fatness

I imagine people that aren't members yet (but are considering joining) seeing posts that read "Please Delete My Account" might get the impression that this website lacks a bit of privacy,  does not give you any control, or makes it a hassle to get out after a trial run.

That makes it in line with just about everything else on the internet.  Any time I post something on the internet I assume that anyone will be able to see it. Sure I do stuff to make it more difficult to see certain things, but it only makes it difficult, not impossible.

Not at it at all. 

DaBurger

But Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, G+ and all new social sites are at their heart just message boards, but are of the modern era, and all give you a lot of control over your accounts and your posted content.  

The Koolaid, you're drinking it.

Know thyself.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

For this reason, I'd be okay with a means to delete one's RA account, but not one's forum posts.