My Take On Pacing at Western States Endurance Run (6/24-25/06) (Read 987 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff - I love our town too...It is great! And I can truly say I Love It! I'm sorry you had to move. Come back for a visit sometime.
    I hope to in a few years. Landy, be sure to support your local symphony! If you haven't seen them, they're very good -- we even performed at the Mondavi center a few years ago. Excellent group, especially for a town of Auburn's size. And they bring in world-class soloists! Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TinaUre

Lynn - Just read your awesome report on last years WS run. Living in Auburn, the finish line, most of the trail has become familiar to me, some more so than others. Last summer was my first year trail running, and I attempted to run all sections of the 100 miles, not necesarily in order, and definitely not all at once! I managed to do about 65% of it. The sections I have left to do are the more inaccessible high-country parts (East of Michigan Bluff), with some long distances between driveable access points. I'll try to finish my quest this year, and then my husband wants to do it all again, in portions again, but this timein order, like the race is done. I was at the finish line on the track last year on Sunday morning, removing the racing chips from the runners ankles as they crossed the finish. It was BLAZING HOT out there, and I can't imagine what all the runners, including pacers, went through! Major KUDOS to you and everyone who attemped the run!!!! PS - maybe you recognize my current avatar - my sons watercolor of No Hands Bridge - a local favorite icon Best of luck trying to get into WS, if you try again. Maybe our paths will cross someday.
      TinaUre

Hi, Landy! This is my first time on this running site, and it looks like there might be a lot of good info on it, regarding running, races, and contacts... Very nice goal, to run the WST in sections. I did that with the American River 50 mile course many years ago. I'm trying to contact you in particular because you live in Auburn. My parents live there, and whenever I visit I run the trails in the canyon, etc. Lately have been exploring the Pioneer Trail up outside of Nevada City (mostly to avoid the poison oak) but that's another story. Right now I'm wondering if you're interested in getting involved with the Western States run - noticed you've volunteered in the past at the finish (?) - I'm running it; and my husband and running club here in Mt. Shasta are doing the aid station at Auburn Lake Trails. Most have never seen an aid station before, although we hope to have some experienced people to show the others what to do, and I'm just wondering if you would want to be part of it? The hard part about a station at mile 85 is that the field is so spread out - we need to have people there from 4 p.m. to be ready for the front runners, and I think the cutoff for the station is around 9 a.m. the following morning - so some folks will be out there all night. But the more people we have to help out, the fewer hours each individual will need to be out there! So consider this an invitation. If you're interested contact me at seemommyrun@nctv.com I'm all set as far as a pacer and my own crew, just need more bodies at the ALT aid station. We'll have a generator for lights and music, propane stoves for heating water/soups, and a trailer home for the kids to crash out in. I'm assuming the RD is providing tents and cots etc. In any event, it was fun to read some of your blogs. Thanks, Tina
        TinaUre

Are you coming to WSER this year? Running it yourself? Pacing? Interested in volunteering? If so, the aid station at Auburn Lake Trails could use a few more experienced folks to man it... Just a thought Smile