Uk road bike suggestions (Read 54 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Thwart with injury and as a consequence a lot of weight gain I have decided t get a road bike. I live in uk and snot want to spend a great deal for my first one but want to be able to put in a decent amount of mileage. Anyone advise please?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Thwart with injury and as a consequence a lot of weight gain I have decided t get a road bike. I live in uk and snot want to spend a great deal for my first one but want to be able to put in a decent amount of mileage. Anyone advise please?

In the UK, is the rear brake on the left or the right hand? (yes, I'm kidding)

I think your bike options in the UK will be very similar to bike options elsewhere.

An entry level road bike will be sufficient.  All manufacturers (ie. Trek, Cannondale) have an entry level road bike with the cheaper components on an alumninum frame that'll work well.  Go to a local bike shop and see what you can see.

Enjoy the ride!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xhristopher

Not a lot is made in the UK these days. The two biggest manufacturers are Brompton and Pashley. They work fine on the roads but might not be what you are looking for.

I seem to know a lot of guys getting in bike accidents lately. Therefore, I suggest something like this:

20" Trifecta Adult 3-Speed Folding Tricycle

catwhoorg

Labrat

Wander into Halfords. Take a look at Boardman Bikes good entry level stuff. Maybe not the most knowledgeable of staff there though

The typical price points are ~300 pounds, ~500 pounds and ~1000 pounds. I would stay away from the really cheaper ones.

Find a local bike shop, talk to them if they have any end of year deals (its a great time to be bike shopping as next years models are coming out). Pricing will probably start higher due to better quality equipment.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Slo

In the UK, is the rear brake on the left or the right hand? (yes, I'm kidding)

Are you? There is actually a difference...http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/05/why-do-brakes-differ/

I grew up on dirt bikes. When I began mountain biking I always had my front brake on the right.

kcam

I don't know the lay of the land in the UK but here in the USA I'd recommend getting a mid-tier bike and avoid any bargain priced bikes.  Maybe even buy a used bike to ride until you decide that you REALLY are going to ride it.

On the brake 'side' issue -

There was a time when I was riding both dirt bikes and mountain bikes several times a week.  I switched the brakes on my mountain bikes to match my dirtbikes as it got confusing in the heat of battle as to which lever did what!  Even though I don't ride dirtbikes anymore, my mountain bikes still have the front brake on the right.

Are you? There is actually a difference...http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/05/why-do-brakes-differ/

I grew up on dirt bikes. When I began mountain biking I always had my front brake on the right.

I was kidding, but it was my first time ever thinking about a UK bike.

I assumed they'd be the same.

But, it all makes sense.  I've been on my trainer doing the CTX 90 minute videos based in Australia.  I find it interesting to cyber ride on the left side of the road, and have considered the hand signal challenges, but not the location of brakes issue.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life