The Garmin doesn't lie--or does it? (Read 710 times)

Shiksa

I've been getting a better signal out of my 201. The key was leaving it out for over 30 minutes in order to track. However, I am not enjoying myself very much because according to the Garmin, I am slower than molasses. The pace seems totally off most of the time. It has me between a 11-12/mile pace, but I am finishing my mileage based on the timer and distance in around 9.5/mile. I've only had the Garmin for about a week. I was a much faster runner in my mind. Big grin I feel like I'm spinning my wheels right now. It seems I'm always no better or no worse.

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

The "instant" Pace can indeed be quite inaccurate due to the basic limitation of current GPS devices. This is unfortunately worse on the X01 Forerunners; Garmin has improved things a bit on the X05's. Try using the Lap Pace or Average Pace function instead. You will get much more reliable and relevant data.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Shiksa

Thank you. That is an excellent tip.

Stacy
        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

The "instant" Pace can indeed be quite inaccurate due to the basic limitation of current GPS devices.
          I've noticed this too (even with my 205). The instant pace will go anywhere between 8:49 and 9:48 ... but the end of my run will show a 8:50 pace. I just use the instant pace as a guide, but know that it's not always right.
          2009: BQ?
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Try using the Lap Pace or Average Pace function instead. You will get much more reliable and relevant data.
            I agree with the above. I think your best bet is to set the device to Auto-Lap every mile (or every 0.5 mile if your terrain is varied like mine), and go by your Lap Pace. This is a good stable read on what you're currently doing.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I third Berner's suggestions.
                One other tip -- be sure that you update your watches with the files available on Garmin's website. Note: there are two things you want to keep current on your watches: the "chipset" software and the "unit" software. I believe the WebUpdater may only offer updates to the "unit" software, so its wise to check Garmin's website from time to time to be sure you have both updates. The updates are located at: http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. While it's a cool feature to have it's calculating based on how fast you would cover a mile from that point from the last GPS crumb. A little hill, slow down for other folks, whatever, all factor into the equation. I have a 305 and it's fairly accurate so I can't say much for the 01's. You can try Garmin's site and see if they have a software upgrade. As long as your pace is right at the end of the run, I'd just let it go.