Spike in Heartrate (Read 792 times)

Is a spike in the heartrate, like the one shown below common when wearing the Garmin Heartrate monitor. It's not like I was aware of the sharp increase while running. Upon more detailed investigation I was running on a slight downslope at the time this spike was recorded. I was running with some sort of flu like virus which has me a little congested. I would think I would have noticed such an increase in effort, is it just a flaw in the capture of readings, perhaps?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Please provide an elevation profile for this activity if possible.
        Please provide an elevation profile for this activity if possible.
        Thanks for your thoughts Trent!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The HR spike is right after the bottom of the hill, just as you turned back uphill. I suspect that you were coming down at a higher pace (which your graph shows) and turned up the hill while at that pace. This is likely why your HR jumped briefly. High pace + sudden incline Smile
            Very likely a measurement error. Yes Interesting how noisy the HR reading was up until about 1.5km, then very smooth for the rest of your run. My guess is the electrodes on your chest strap had poor contact with your dry skin until you started sweating more. Also the drastic noisy to smooth change at 1.5km, you likely made an adjustment to the strap either consciously or by accident.
              The HR spike is right after the bottom of the hill, just as you turned back uphill. I suspect that you were coming down at a higher pace (which your graph shows) and turned up the hill while at that pace. This is likely why your HR jumped briefly. High pace + sudden incline Smile
              Thanks man. I'm going to try and stare at the watch at that exact same place next time. It is weird that I wouldn't feel that increase but it was just momentary I guess. I have run uphills and purposely watched my heartrate. Even breathing pretty hard and being in oxygen debt, the highest I have ever registered before was 163. 176 without noticing just seems strange.

Very likely a measurement error. Yes Interesting how noisy the HR reading was up until about 1.5km, then very smooth for the rest of your run. My guess is the electrodes on your chest strap had poor contact with your dry skin until you started sweating more. Also the drastic noisy to smooth change at 1.5km, you likely made an adjustment to the strap either consciously or by accident.
                Thanks for the response, I'm leaning that way as well, some sort of a faulty reading.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would not say there is much error. The HR appropriately started low and spiked up high, then settled out when the OP's pace and effort settled out. Usually, poor chest contact causes skips of all or nothing or loads of wobble around a stable baseline, not measurements like these.
                    backstretch is running at about 6min/km. Since there isnt a timescale on the graph, you have to convert. The width of the spike from where it reads about 155, spikes up to 176, then back down to 155 is about 0.05 km. Running at 6min/km, this means the spike occurred in a timeframe of 0.3 min, or 18 seconds. For his heartrate to jump from about 155 bpm to 175 bpm and back down in about 18 seconds and for him not to feel it indicates a ton of measurement error.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. HR can spike during exertion easily and imperceptibly. And he is currently ill. And it happened right as the road grade changed substantially.
                        backstretch- change the x axis to time,zoom in on your graph on the spike, and attach it to this thread. Trent, are you a cardiologist or cardiac expert? If not , please cite a source on that BS. Chronotropic response has a 1 to 1 linear relationship with metabolic rate. You can have heart rate spikes (a palpatation), but you will almost always feel them. For him to not feel them, not likely. Wilkoff, BL, Firstenberg, MS Cardiac chronotropic responsiveness. Ellenbogan, KA Kay, GN Wilkoff, BL eds. Clinical cardiac pacing and defibrillation 2000,508-532 WB Saunders. Philadelphia, PA:
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My board certification covers cardiology.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey backstretch, could you have coughed or had a breathing issue at that point?
                              My board certification covers cardiology.
                              Trent, Had to to check up on you, so I'll give you the credit you deserve. I'm a cardiac pacemaker engineer arguing with an MD. Big grin yet... One more point- for backstretch's heart rate to jump higher than his theoretical Max-HR for ~18 seconds and not feel it...
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wink I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle Smile MTA: I don't like throwing around credentials typically.