Lets Talk Chicago Marathon (Read 585 times)

if you stay east of Chicago, you won't find much congestion.

xor

if you stay east of Chicago, you won't find much congestion.

Maybe not congestion, but I do have breathing problems there.

Maybe not congestion, but I do have breathing problems there.

One word: gills

Kalsarikännit

Does this seem like a good location to be at?

125 W Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60654-7168 US

$209 for the night with free parking.  Has an indoor pool as well with double beds.

I think it is a great location. You are three blocks away from a red line train stop. They run every ten minutes. It will drop you off two blocks from the race. Plus you are in River North, which is a fun area with lots of restaurants and bars. If you stay closer to the race you will be in the Loop which is the business district. It isn't that exciting (trust me, I'm a bartender in the Loop).

MTA:  I was missing a few letter there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Jeff F

Free Beer

I also agree this is a great location and a decent price. I stayed there for the 2006 marathon.  If you don't want to ride the train you can take a cab to the start for 6-7 bucks.  In addition, if you have anyone coming with you the hotel is actually on the course and can see you three times within a short walking distance.

Awesome.  We took the T Line in Boston and that worked out pretty well.  I imagine we will do the samething for Chicago. Thanks for the heads up on the train line being close.

Don't mind the train at all.  We may just take a cab to the start and then a train back?

I'm thinking I should be in a seeded coral with a time around 3:10 but my DW is a 5 hour girl.  I'm usually early to the start anyway to stretch and take care of other issues.  Do you think getting to the potty will be a big deal at this race?

FYI - I cancelled my orbitz reservation because the Best Western had a much better deal.  Finally the hotels are starting to get smarter.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
              • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
              • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Feeling the growl again

Don't mind the train at all.  We may just take a cab to the start and then a train back?

Trains don't care how congested the streets above are with 30,000 people trying to get to the start.  You might have better luck with the train to the start than the taxi.  It was either Chicago or NY where an acquaintance tried to do that and could not even get close.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chicago people help me please.  We will walk to Grand and hop on the Red Line.  Just a couple of blocks.  Then get off at one of three stops.  Monroe (fast corrals) or Jackson(slower corrals) or maybe even the Harrison if you are in the open corral?  Max wait will be about 10 min for the train and take maybe 15 min to get to our stop?

I take it we line up on S. Columbus Drive to get ready to go across the starting line.   How far south on that thing do they line up?

Is the expo just on the Navy Pier by the Childrens Museum or the Shakespear Theater?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                  sAc238

Zeus

Starting corrals are closer to Monroe. But seriously, they are all pretty close and you won't be making a mistake ... you have 9 months to figure it out and just follow the hundreds of others who have bibs and aren't heading toward 95th street. Expo is 2 days ... it is at McCormick Place. There is transportation from multiple locations in the loop and greater business district on both Friday and Saturday. Or, once again, take the el and walk for a mile or so each way.

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Kalsarikännit

Chicago people help me please.  We will walk to Grand and hop on the Red Line.  Just a couple of blocks.  Then get off at one of three stops.  Monroe (fast corrals) or Jackson(slower corrals) or maybe even the Harrison if you are in the open corral?  Max wait will be about 10 min for the train and take maybe 15 min to get to our stop?

Exactly. All those stops are really close together and there will be a ton of people heading to the race. Just follow everyone.

1.  The entrance to the seeded corrals and seeded gear check are separate from the entrance to the open corrals and open gear check.  Ideally, if you are in the seeded corrals you want to enter from the north, at Randolph.  If you are in the open corrals you want to enter from the south, at Balbo or even Roosevelt.  Trying to cross Columbus at Jackson or Monroe is a mistake unless you are there really early.  It gets very crowded because there are limited paths to cross, and they will close those paths at some point well before the start.  Once you get over to the lake side of Columbus, its not nearly as crowded.

2.  The expo is at McCormick Place.  Don't drive there unless you really feel like paying $15-20 for parking for about an hour stay.  There are free shuttle buses from the big downtown hotels and from the nearest L stop.

3.  There are a lot of portalets in the start areas, but there will be lines especially at the start time gets closer.  If you are a dude or a bold lady, there are a few spots near the start area secluded enough to get away with it.  People also like to de-fluid in the Columbus street underpass about 1/4 mile into the race -- note: the cops have picked up on this and will roust you if they see you.  I've not heard of any arrests or tasering, fortunately.

4.  This is an older map of the start area, but if you want to start planning now, here you go:

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

northernman

Fight The Future

What does anyone think about staying near the Jarvis stop of the Red Line? Could then take it to the start of the race. Is that too far on race morning? Bad traffic (but I suppose shouldn't matter if it's underground, right?)

What does anyone think about staying near the Jarvis stop of the Red Line? Could then take it to the start of the race. Is that too far on race morning? Bad traffic (but I suppose shouldn't matter if it's underground, right?)

The Red Line is probably one of the best and most popular ways for people to get the race.  I have done it once or twice myself.  it is definitely not too far.  In fact, in some ways its better to get on the train further out because the cars can get really packed (and sometimes full) by the time they get to the near northside.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Check out the Red Roof Inn, corner of Ontario and St. Clair. About a one mile walk to the sart line and the shuttle bus to the expo drops off/picks up right there. Right around $200 a night for a decent room. Great location, tons of restaurant choices within walking distance.

Kalsarikännit

It is above ground at Jarvis (el is short for elevated), the traffic still doesn't matter because the trains are above it. The red line is still the best way to get to the race from there, but if you are coming to Chicago to also do some sight seeing, then you may want to look further south. The Rogers Park neighborhood is a quiet residential area. Also, it isn't a bad neighborhood, but it has some areas that aren't all that great. If you are looking for hotels that aren't downtown and may be cheaper, there are a couple of hotels on Diversey around the intersection with Clark.  Those are on the border of the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods. Fun area, plus if you have anyone with you, the race is within a few blocks heading north and then when it heads back south.  It is also a few blocks from the brown line which will also get you close to the start.